20th Anniversary of the Loma Prieta Quake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firetruckprime, Oct 11, 2009.

1. firetruckprime

firetruckprime Autobot

This Saturday marks the 20th anniversary of the Loma Prieta Earthquake. For those of us who are older enough to remember, what were you doing when you heard about the quake?

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'm old enough, but never heard of it. The only one I can think of that old was the one in Whittier, CA when Candlestick Park suffered damage.

Same one?

Edit: Google and Wikipedia says it was Oct 17th, and it does look like it's the same one I was thinking of with Candlestick. The Whittier one may have been a different one.

I remember it, I felt it all the way down near L.A.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That was 20 fucking years ago?!? Good god I'm old. But yes, I remember it clear as a bell.

4. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Don't remember it but now I know the namesake of one of the bands I listen to

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    damn that long ago already geeze your making me feel old here

6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Thats the day i found out i have a older half-brother. my dad was worried and i asked him what was wrong.
    he told me about how he had a son from a previous marriage and he lived in California. thankfully he wasnt hurt, but i remember him saying a friend of his got hurt.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I was living in Foster City which is about half an hour or so away from the Loma Prieta area and going to middle school. I was at my neighbor's house about to watch the World Series.

When it hit, we ran down from his room and dove under the piano. I went home right after and found that only one dish broke.

Our phone was also the only working one in our neighborhood too for some reason so we let everyone around us call their loved ones.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I was only three years old when this happened, so... I wouldn't have known about it.

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I was in the barracks while at Crypto tech school at Lackland AFB. One of my fellow students was from there, and called his family to find out how everyone was...and then let us all know his Trans Am was okay tho the garage had fallen all around it. :lol 

--Moony

10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I was at work (Longs Drugs) and stocking the liquor aisle when it all started shaking. Just about every single bottle fell to the floor...'twas quite a sight...and not NEARLY as foul as the perfume aisle. We managed to clean up and be back open for business that evening. We were also VERY thankful for the World Series being A's vs Giants...with people leaving work early to catch game one it saved a LOT of lives. The Cyprus freeway alone should have had thousands more people on it when it colapsed if it had been any other day. Also had my freinds sister stay with me and my girlfreind for the evening since both her parents were stuck in SF.