20th Anniversary Gun Color Question.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Arcsylver, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Arcsylver

Arcsylver Well-Known Member

First off, this is about the original 20th Prime. Not the DVD edition with it's funky blue gun.

I have heard around various forums on the web about 20th Prime's gun color variants. Namely the Grey gun and Black gun Variations.

What I have been trying to find out with little success is which one is the rarer of the two.

I figured with the mass of kowledge we have here someone is bound to know more about it than I have been able to dig up.

So which is the harder to get? Black or Grey?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The answer is sort of complex actually.

In the US, only the first run of them had the grey gun, and then there was a running change to the black gun. Theoretically the black gun should be more common since it was on shelves longer, but Hasbro's production numbers aren't common knowledge, so there's no real way of knowing for sure. There's certainly a line of thinking that might go that collectors snatched up the first wave quickly, and then a smaller quantity of black guns just shelf warmed for months because the collectors had already bought the toy on the first wave. I don't personally believe that's true because most of the ones that show up on ebay also have the black gun, but it is an argument.

The wrinkle to all this is that the Japanese Masterpiece, in all three of its incarnations (MP-01, MP-01 Hong Kong reissue, MP-04) ALL had the grey gun and only the grey gun. So overall, there are probably more grey guns out there when taking into account all territories and releases of the mold. But strictly sticking to the 20th anniversary US release, the grey gun is most likely the rarer of the two.

3. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Yup, yup it's all true. I also vouch for the fact that blacky is a bit more common, but certainly greys had their time. They were just snagged up moreso, as you said and perhaps created a niche market or mental impression of itself for that reason.

4. battlebeasts

battlebeasts Banned

There really no way to tell. Nobody has numbers just guesses.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm just happy that MP, 20th & DVD Prime each have their own gun. :D  As for 20th, I think the grey gun is rare, but only if you leave the figure MIB.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    You're forgetting international releases of 20th Prime. In Canada and the UK, they only released grey guns (at least that's all I ever saw).

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    This is what I was just thinking too, however taking KD's word's into a more strict context it might be fare to say its still true that the black gun is more common in the US.

Worldwide however I would say the gray gun is more common without question. I think Canada did get a few black gun variants too (but I could be wrong as I cant remember to well) but nothing that would break any records if in fact they actually did make it up here.

8. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Honestly I don't really care which one is the rarer of the two. I like seeing that some of my collection, the non-armada, energon, or cybertron collection is actually appreciating in value. I have two 20th prime, one sealed and fresh and one out for display and they both had the black gun. To thow another ingredient into the mix, there was also a run of US 20th primes that came with a poster.

So I don't really think it will matter which one you have because its a great toy and will only appreciate in value as long as Hasbro doesn't flood the market with them in this new run.

9. battlebeasts

battlebeasts Banned

Are there any kids that actually play with a 2oth Prime or do collectors have them all. I cant see buying my son(5) a $80 toy only to play with and maby break it when he would be perfictly happy with a Classic or any other of the $20 Primes.

10. battlebeasts

battlebeasts Banned

Are there any kids that actually play with a 2oth Prime or do collectors have them all. I cant see buying my son(5) a $80 toy only to play with and maby break it when he would be perfictly happy with a Classic or any other of the $20 Primes.

11. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

any particularly easy way to find a non-Smurf colored version of the weapon by itself?

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *looks at black-gunned 20th Prime, that he bought from TRU in Vancouver, Canada*

13. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Anyone wanna trade me a black gun for my grey one?

14. Arcsylver

Arcsylver Well-Known Member

Well this is the version that I ended up getting.

Thanks folks for all the great replies. Seems that the general concensus is that in the US the Grey gun is the "rarer" of the two original releases and elsewhere the black one would be the "rare".