20th Anniversary DVD Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by theLostSeeker, Oct 6, 2006.

1. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Just got the 20th Anniv. DVD Prime. The biggest turnoffs besides the small smokestacks are the voice box in the display platform and the lack of chrome. It's just some random guy "Speak & Spell" voice citing lines from from the movie. The only sound worth it is the famous G1 transformation sound. Since this is a re-release, I won't go into details on transformation, etc.
    The base is a nice addition to this already memorable masterpiece of a toy.

*EDIT*
    General Appreciation: a very generous 8/10 because of the absence of chrome. A little disappointing for a $100 dollar figure...

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Is the new 20th Anniversary Prime battle damaged like the first release was?

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

no it's clean.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Have 20th and MP but thinking about getting this guy for his different anime colors.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Biggest letdown I see is most, if not all of the chrome has been replaced with flat color or silver paint.

6. theLostSeeker

I was fidgeting with it today, and found out the images of Grimlock and Megatron in the little communicator screens on his forearms... A little foreshadowing?
    Yeah, and the silver paint really sucks, no chrome anywhere.

[​IMG]

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Saw it at the store today.

UGLY

The red is too light, the lack of chrome looks bad, the white paint that was silver on the first release looks tacky and they painted over the plastic on his tail lights instead of inside of the plastic like on the first release.

Add the terrible voice and it's just not worth it.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I saw these today when I was buying the Classics leaders.. my biggest gripe was that the bumper inside of his chest looked like absolute crap since it wasn't shiny and chromey.. what a major letdown.

9. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Seeing as this is a re-release, what are you guys looking for in the figure? Are you looking for a straight up re-release exactly like the first or what?

Personally, if I got MP Prime or the US version I would be pissed off if they did this one exactly the same. I think it's nie that they painted him up with more cartoon like colors.

10. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I would've been happy if he'd had frickin' CHROME.

11. theLostSeeker

The more I look at it, the more I'm contemplating selling it, since I can't return it... I'll get MP-04 instead. That's money well spent.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    OK, those are the same screen images/stickers as the MP-04 release, I believe.

Glad I got the original 20th Prime, as the DVD 20th version just looks too budget-cut by comparison. (not to mention it sounds that way too)

13. Wiggyof09

But my point is weren't the MP 1 and original US release chromed? Also there is MP-04 with the trailer. I'm sure if you wanted the chrome look you could find one of those. This apprently is a more cartoony look, which is probably why it's being released now with the 20th year edition of the movie.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I can see what you're saying, but consider the price of the big guy, too. He looks cheap without the chrome and the flatter paint colours, which would not be a huge problem were he a less expensive piece. But he's not, and for the price to be honest with you people are quite justified in wanting a top-class product.

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    exactly my point, Sol. :)  Thanks for making it clearer.

16. Wiggyof09

Well the point I'm making is tp quality is all about what you should expect. PErsonally, I don't see why anyone would buy this Prime if they already have the first release or one of the MP primes. This one is for cartoon accuracy folks. It's how you define top quality. If I were looking for a great mold with cartoon accuracy, then this is indeed a top quality product. If I want a Prime that has a more real life color scheme and paint job I get the first release or one of the MP's.

I duno. I just don't get the people that know what the product is and what they are getting, buy it, and then complain anyway. You can see the color scheme before you buy it. You know there are other options that are around the same price. Why buy this and complain about it knowing what it is. A product should be judged on what it is suppose to be, not what you think it should be. It's not like it's the only Opimus Prime out there.

17. theLostSeeker

I get your point. I thought there was something fishy about the color. But thought it was the store lighting. Then, after I took it out the box at home, I realized there was no chrome anywhere. I didn't notice before, and realized I got screwed. But, then again, I dished out the cash, so I can bitch all I want! :wink:  :D  :p  -kidding

18. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Saw it at Walmart. Studied it. Scanned it in the price scanner, laughed, put it back.

19. SuperHotRodimus

SuperHotRodimus New Member

Saw it in Wal-Mart also, pushed the sound button, listened to the voice, laughed, put it back.

20. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i just picked one up myself. I really love it.
    except for the voice, like theLostSeeker said. freaking $ 80. my most expensive TF to date.
    Does anyone know if they will they be releasing a 20th Anniversary DVD Megatron????