Heavy/Scratch: 20th anniversary 1988 redux #8: Rippersnapper

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokescreenSWE, Jul 8, 2008.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure I saw Sinnertwin back at my relative's place, but I chose to get Rippersnapper for obvious reasons. Not only is Sinnertwin a contender for worst non-Pretender Monsters G1 figure ever (along with Blot), Rippersnapper is a white shark with legs and a huge gun on his back. You can't contend with that.

Rippersnapper was the first I settled on when I decided to remake more than Smokescreen and Quickmix. I had been interested in Torca for some time after discovering him in the Beast Wars comics, and even though it was fairly disappointing that he wasn't indeed a Supreme sized figure, he look quite cool. Above all, he looked very much like Rippersnapper.

It took some time to get him. I made an order from an Ebay seller but the package never showed up. I was promised a second shipment but that never got anywhere either. So I eventually looked around and found one at the TFW2005 boards.

I had already decided to remove the tusks. But this left huge gaping holes, which had to be filled somehow, and a lack of a head. From the ones I had available, Strongarm's seemed most appropriate (although a tiny bit on the small side). I made shoulder plates and a new neck piece from styrene. Also, the huge feet hanging off of his hands were replaced with smaller claws (from a Bionicle) since I intended him to be bipedal anyway. Finally, I cut off the sides of his belly, since they made him extremely wide and chunky in both forms.

"Golden plastic syndrome" is no joke. Three separate pieces cracked when I tried to take him apart: the tail snapped at the pin, one of the rods holding his torso together was broken before I got him apart, and his lower leg lost a splinter when prying them open.

The designer for Torca must have had Rippersnapper in mind when designing him. Why else would he have a detachable fin (doubling as a gun), a beast head folding up behind his robot head and a beast mode that's a shark with legs? With his new claws and a more upright posture, I find him a dead ringer for Rippersnapper.

Although the guns are, in retrospect, what sells the entire figure, I had no specific plans for them to begin with. But while constructing the entire thing and doing all of the other mods, I realized that guns were absolutely necessary. I had no spare double guns and toys, even cheap ones, are relatively expensive around here. But I went shopping with a $20 budget and came home with a neat Brave knock-off set of three trainbots, who happened to carry identical guns of the right size.

I improved on the original idea but not only allowing Rippersnapper to carry the entire setup (unlike the original figure) but having the guns separate as well. He works well as a crazy gunslinger.

I'm really happy with how he turned out, and he's my third favourite among these guys. Now I just have to be really, really careful with him, with the double hazard of easily scratched white paint and brittle golden plastic underneath.

And that concludes my remakes of the first eight figures I got in 1988. It's been a cool ride and I've learned a lot. Now I'm turning towards other plans. First of all I'm going to complete my Terrorcons with a Sinnertwin: it would be crazy not to. After that, who knows?

View the completed gallery here, including more pictures of Hun-Grrr.

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    that's real cool.

3. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Man that is incredible. You did an awesome job. I never really like the original terrorcons but I love these. I really like your take on rippersnapper, I would buy that (actually I'd buy all of these if hasbro did them like this).

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

getting that white paint job right takes a bit of work for me, but you pulled it off flawlessly. Great job, bro.

5. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Damn! Thats pretty impressive, but sorry for having that double jeopardy on him from the white paint and that gold plastic syndrome. But still very cool indeed.

6. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    Now I realize that I could have gone for the BW Neo repaint instead... but I can't seem to find it. Hopefully it's so rare that it wouldn't have been an option :) 

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Nope - definitely didn't see that coming. Very clever homage, and great job!
    And Rippersnapper's definitely the coolest of the Terrorcons...

8. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    flippin awesome. do you mind me asking what colors/brand you used for Blot? I've been working on one and the colors are just not spot on like yours. The whole team is excellent. Do you have ideas for the base of Sinnertwin?

9. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Same here...I had all five of them as a kid and never liked them...still don't to this day...but what you've done with this custom (and your other Terrorcons) looks amazing...Rippersnapper's colors are very striking the blue and white really look great together...and the head and fin you've created for him makes the figure look very powering...excellent job my friend...:thumb 

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What's he a repaint of?

11. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Man you nailed it! That's absolutely awesome!

Now do Sinnertwin and you'll have the whole bunch. Maybe you could use the RiD Bruticus (the three headed dog) and bash it to two headed?

really cool.

iDD

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

As he said in the first post, it's a BW Fuzor Torca figure, with some bits removed and a transplanted Energon Strongarm head.

Although, one little point I noticed, Smokey... Torca doesn't have
    He's actually a killer whale with legs... :p 

13. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    Blot is primed with greyish primer and then hand painted with Marabu Decorlack... a German brand it seems. The colours are lavender and dark blue.

14. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, the paint work looks great!!....fantastic job man :thumb 

15. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    I was thinking Bruticus as well for Sinnertwin. But after seeing this Rippersnapper, I'm pretty sure he can make any thing work.

16. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

BLOODY BRILLIANT

17. Ezilla82

You know he kinda reminds me of a prehistoric fish called Dunkleoseus or something like that that had some wicked looking teeth and jaws.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Dunkleosteus. Yeah, I kinda see the resemblance; I think Dunk had more of a turtle-jaw thing going on, though.

19. Ezilla82

Yep that's the bitch. lol Yeah I see what you mean, but like I said, it sorta looks like it or maybe a barricuda with the bad case of underbite.

20. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

looks great, I'm in the middle of making 1 for my abominus combiner, yours is that good i'm having second thoughts about posting it!!