Minor/Repaint: 20th anniversary 1988 redux #7: Hun-Grrr

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokescreenSWE, Jun 11, 2008.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because pink is tough!

So, we've come to the second biggie in my collection of remakes from my childhood. Hun-Grrr was my seventh Transformer, if I remember correctly. I bought him along with #8 on a visit to some distant older relatives. They had a bunch more, including Sandstorm, but finally I settled for Hun-Grrr and the very mysterious #8 since I already had two members of the Terrorcons and even back then I was a bit clever.

When I restarted collecting in 2003-2004, Hun-Grrr, #8 and Cutthroat were some of the figures I brought to my dorm room and kickstarted my collection. Completing Abominus was one of the first things I did, and he's been with me ever since.

I always liked Hun-Grrr for being extremely posable for a G1 figure. Obviously this has made him slightly loose by now but he's still in good shape and complete save for the gun which I never got.

The existence of Cybertron Scourge was one of the inspirations for this project since he would make such an excellent Hun-Grrr. And it seems that Hasbro has the same idea with the Legends figure on the way. Anyway, I made a digibash back in early April and got myself a Cryo Scourge (who was both cheaper and had better colors to start from).

After finishing Blurr and my World of Warcraft character, it was time for Hun-Grrr. I finally had to cave in and get a soldering pen because the pin holding his loincloth simply wouldn't budge. Other than that and prying off a side of his torso that turned out to be screwed on from inside, dismantling him was a breeze. I decided to throw out all the electronics in this one.

Since Blot and Cutthroat are fully transformable, being fairly simple Beast Wars molds, I had to do the same to this one. Most joints are filed down, and while it still chips a _little_, I'm happy with him. Above all, he's very posable and can take some cool poses. It's just a shame that I can't spare any MP style hands since it would be even better to hold his axe in two hands.

Hun-Grrr was spray coated with white and light grey primer. The grey was then color matched to the original figure and the gunmetal and purple details were painted on. All the white was then varnished. I decided to keep the blue joint mechanics, both because they would chip like crazy and, luckily, Hun-Grrr has a few spots of light blue on him so I could stay with the original scheme.

I'm also keeping the extra two heads upright. The idea is that Hun-Grrr reformatted to a three-headed dragon but got his spark slightly changed in the progress. Now the two heads act like his good and bad side, advising him on what to do, with the good head obviously having blue Autobot eyes.

Attached Files:

2. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    I like this update a lot. I saw the Blot when you had a post for that one, this is starting to look like a wonderful update to the Terrorcons.

Please do the rest and combine them to form "Abominus"!!!

We can have them fight my Technobots, although I am 4 shy of my goal.

3. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

looks realy good, the group almost look like beast wars terrorcons, any plans for the other 2? or combining them?

4. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    excellent redeco. don't think a better mold could have been chosen

5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm dumbstruck. I was just talking about doing this yesterday. Even bid on a Cryo Scourge off ebay. I guess now I don't have to..this is perfect. Perfect!

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You do if you want one of your own... :p 

Brilliant job. Love the colour distribution... I'm really looking forward to seeing Rippersnapper and Sinnertwin.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This should be universe Hun-GRR, not that legend one.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You know that's not how Legends work, right? A Legends class figure doesn't replace other ones, otherwise we wouldn't have Classics Bumblebee or the upcoming Hound. Why choose?

9. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    Wow! that looks great. I really dig the group shot. Can't wait for you to do Sinnertwin or Rippersnapper. Any idea which molds you will use for those?

iDD

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    great job with all that white paint, man! hehehe he almost looks like a manish femme now.

11. JAF

JAF 1984

Great choice of mold and a sweet execution to boot. Now make Abominus!

12. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

You do some great work, Smokey. That pink to white fade must have been really tough. (Dust's Smokescreen's shoulder off) :bowdown: 

13. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did you purposly fade the paint in certian areas? It still looks amazing.

14. JAFOPrime

JAFOPrime Just Another Freaky Observer

Looks great. You made him bigger, stronger, faster!

15. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    Actually, no. It's all in flat colors. Any fade is due to photography and lighting.

16. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Excellent job on Hungurr!Just wondering,I checked out your photos and did you ever consider modifing the Alt.Predacons to combine?

17. SmokescreenSWE

News Credits:
    I don't think that's even possible. I've only seen a Alternator combiner once and that was with heavy modifications, a handy way to connect the parts AND it was done by TFMaster. There's no way I'm gonna try that.

Besides, I keep my combiners combined. Remaking the individual members like this is a fancy way of getting to display what is otherwise a horrible brick.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Your work is once again slick, man! GREAT job! I can't wait to see $8! :thumb 

19. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Poor Blots gonna have inferiority issues by the time you get done with the other two.

Great work. Can't wait to see Rippersnapper and Sinnertwin

20. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

man as always top notch stuff