Minor/Repaint: 20th Anniversary 1988 redux #6: Blurr

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokescreenSWE, Apr 30, 2008.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest with you, I wasn't really into this one. Sure, I like Blurr as a character and all, but I didn't go out and buy something specifically to make him. Instead, I just picked a fairly fitting character from my shelves (Decepticharge, who finally found a calling besides being a fairly useless version of Drag Strip) to complete my self-appointed task of completing the set. Duty is not the best motivation for finishing a kitbash, but here it is anyway.

The original figure is a mess. There's five different shades of blue (six if you count stickers as well), most of them ugly. Thus, he was in serious need of a recolor. For practical reasons, I settled on the same blue as Hot Spot for the main body, and a lighter aqua shade for the secondary car color. I haven't transformed him, but the lighter color runs along his top, front to back. This way I could give him the darker arms and legs and lighter torso of the original figure. However, I turned to the animation model to include more silver colors instead of the other, dirty blues.

The figure was disassembled and spray painted, in blue, silver and grey primer. The rest was hand painted with enamels. The head works quite well as Blurr with only a simple piece of plastic (donated from an unused piece from the Smokescreen model kit) on top, giving him sort of a speed cyclist helmet look.

I fixed up the weapon using a spare missile from a Robotmaster Optimus KO, shortening it just a little. For a while I considered trying to make a new Targetmaster but between my laziness and the fact that my original Blurr was, in fact, the pre-Targetmaster version, I went with just the engine gun.

So, yeah, he's done. Once I get back from a business trip I'm gonna turn to the next big one. Also, I've added some cool stuff to Hot Spot that I'm gonna update him with, before anyone gets an idea to add him to the gallery just yet :) 

Attached Files:

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, that head is niiiice.

3. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I've never seen him with the Decepticharge head before it looks pretty good. By adding the mohawk thing you pulled it off nicely. It's too bad you seem unsatisfied with him

4. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

It's pretty solid. Great job with the head. I used the same mold for mine, with a sculpt bot head. Getting the coloring on blurr is super tough. I debated myself more on his color scheme than any other of my customs (I'm sure once I do Ultra Magnus that'll change).

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh man!!...that is too cool!!

Love the color choices....and the head...I never realized how much it would work for Blurr until now....

Fantastic job!!

6. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Agreed, as this is good work, and the head works really well!

7. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Wow, bad ass. That's really sharp stuff man.

8. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Great job... This is a great alternative to the GT. But I argue a figure made for Blurr should be able to bend his knees. I know, I know, none of the official figures can either, still...

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That is a slick head mod. Great job in the paint as well.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd have NEVER guessed to modify THAT particular head for this, very nice man, very nice!

11. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    The Dcharge mold bends at the knees... well mine do a lil better anyway :p