Minor/Repaint: 20th Anniversary 1988 redux #4: Blot

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokescreenSWE, Apr 21, 2008.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Number four back in 1988 was Blot, aka Brick Man. Quite possibly the worst G1 figure this side of the Monster Pretenders. Things weren't helped by the fact that he had lost his legs in some freak accident before I got him.

Back then, I was in, whaddyacallit, not a kindergarten. After-school activity center kind of place. Anyway, there was a slightly older kid who was also into Transformers. We had kind of a TF club going, and were given access to a storage room where we plastered the walls with the TF Universe profiles cut viciously out of the comics. When he stopped caring about Transformers, he gave me Blot and the next two figures on the list.

Pretty soon I acquired enough random limbs to attach to my other leaders to make Blot completely useless, but when I restarted my collection in 2003, I brought him along. Eventually, I got hold of a Sinnertwin and a fairly miscolored Blot that actually had legs. Some parts swapping later and he was whole again. Miscoloured, but hey, that's actually in character.

Beast Wars Blot was made from Armordillo. A terribly simple mold with a neat little automorph. His mole-like clawed arms reminded me of Blot and even though he's a size class smaller than the rest of my planned Terrorcons, he had to do.

There's not much to say about the painting. Since he's all ball joints and automorph, I simply sprayed him with primer as is, then removed all possible parts and painted him all by hand. Not the best fit, but hey, you try to find a suitable two-legged random-sloth-beast mold for him...

And who's next? You'll see tomorrow...

See also: 20th Anniversary 1988 redux #3: Hot Spot

Attached Files:

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Well, it may not be perfect, but hey its Blot. Nice job on it anyways.

3. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Hey man, that's actually pretty cool! Likewise, I am also at a total loss as to who /else/ could stand in as an updated Blot. In a long shot from the opposite field Armordillo came from... uh.... Torca? Maybe?

I might recommend taking some of those designs from Blot's stickers and seeing if you could apply them somehow to Armordillo? Maybe along the torso? I can't really see if there's room for that in the pics you provided - but hey, it's just a friendly suggestion. I think it would look good with a slightly extended color palette.

And I think I have a good idea who you'll be showing off tomorrow, but I won't say anything cuz I dun wanna spoil it. >)

- Alty

4. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn't show too much, but I've brought in the silver from his stickers to his internal parts and mid-section, and red to the eyes.

Torca, unfortunately, has other plans ;) 

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm not one much for BW customs, but you've done some good work once again! The thing that engages me the most about your work is the sentimental value for you your work has for you. That's inspiring man.

Great work :thumb 

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Just glancing at the last image, I have a pretty good idea who you have there, hehehe. Like Allen, I'm not much of a Beastie fan either. I only recognized that image thanks to Titaniums. But you did a really nice job painting this guy. Regardless if I'm a fan of the line or not, I can appreciate good craftsmanship.

7. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    This is a great update on a classic figure. Abominus and his components were the first complete gestalt I ever owned.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Same sentiments here, great update. I especially like the head on this one.