Minor/Repaint: 20th Anniversary 1988 redux #3: Hot Spot

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokescreenSWE, Apr 20, 2008.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's been 20 years since I got my first Transformers and I'm celebrating this by giving my first eight figures updates of various kinds. My first two were Smokescreen and Quickmix who you've probably already seen. Number three is Hot Spot.

Hot Spot was bought in a local shop by my mother. I remember being really happy with him, but I don't remember exactly why. He did have a fairly important role in the comics but I'm pretty sure I hadn't gotten that far in the storyline yet.

In any case, Hot Spot has been a loner for 20 years. Unlike Onslaught, Scattershot and Hun-Grrr, I've never gotten around to collecting his entire team yet. So I figured he deserved the best of upgrades, using one of the best Transformers molds ever created: Robots in Disguise Optimus Prime.

I bet you're all familiar with this mold, so there's not much to say. I got him without missiles and stuff (which I really didn't need). After a few days of admiring his Optimus form, I went at him with a screwdriver.

Boy does this one have lots of parts. It seems everything is spring loaded or ratcheted somehow and there's all kinds of neat stuff hidden inside him. Even still he's extremely easy to take apart and most of the pins could be easily pushed out without even using a hammer. I decided not to take apart the ladder system though, fearing the millions of tiny springs in there.

Painting was done over a few days with spray paints, and then detailing done by hand. I tried out a new blue that's a bit dark but still looks lovely in person. I also found a really bright silvery spray that I used for all the metal detailing that I could mask or separate.

I also removed the speaker by cutting the wires: the lights still work. I just found it silly that he would say "Optimus Prime! Maximize!"... Also, I turned the wheels inside out to hide the "Fire Convoy" molding.

Overall, I must say this was a very pleasant repaint to do. There was a bit of sanding down, especially around the wrists, but he doesn't chip (much) now and I could probably transform him into a truck without destroying him. Still, he's staying this way because super mode RiD Optimus Pr... I mean, RiD Hot Spot, is totally awesome!

Attached Files:

2. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

Nice blue. Is it Tamiya light blue? Looks similar to my oversized Defensor repaint color.

You did a great job.

3. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    I've been wanting an official release ever since I saw the concept...and here you have bashed....you have bashed it damn good....you have no idea how awesome this is to me...I know it's a sentimental piece for you as well....awesome job man...Inside I'm hoping Hasbro uses this deco in Classics 2.0....5 stars in my book :thumb 

4. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Whoa!! Now this is badass, kudos to you man.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Hasbro was going to make a Botcon Hotspot from RID optimus but it got canclled. T-T

Awesome work.

6. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is killer!! Awesome job. You got it with out missiles! WHAT A RIP OFF:) 

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    man that head looks SWEET in black.

8. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

that all kinds of rocks

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Lovely as it can be.

10. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i still think you should have left the chest red. breaks up the blue better as well as homaging the original.

11. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, yeah, possibly. I didn't give it much thought since I intended him to be inside the super armor all the time. The intended Hasbro Hot Spot was Hot Spot in normal mode and "kind of Defensor" in super mode. Mine is Hot Spot in both forms.

12. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    One word - Awesome!

13. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

That is freaking awesome. I wish Hasbro would hurry up and actually make this guy, he'd be an excellent addition to Universe 2, a lot better then Blaster and Heavy Load imo. And seeing as they've already set the precedent that the old Combiner team leaders don't have to combine any more, it'd fit in that much better.

It's an excellent custom and it looks great.