2011 UEFA Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by foxfan352, Feb 15, 2011.

1. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

I would like to see real madrid, manchester or tottenham.

Inter beat Bayern 3-2 but they tied in aggregate 3-3 and they went on to quarter finals could someone explain to me the system they're using?

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Away goals rule. If on aggregate the teams are tied, the team who scored the most goals away go through.

3. foxfan352

ok thanks, so in case of a tie 0-0/1-1 in both games do they go to penalties?

4. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It only goes to penalties if both legs end up in the same score draweg first leg 3-3, second leg 3-3
    or the same result reversed 2-1,1-2 or 4-5,5-4

Also the quaterfinal line up is done

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Manchester United
    Chelsea
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Schalke
    Shakhtar
    Inter Milan

I don't think Schalke or Shakhtar have a chance, Tottenham I think will get to the Semi Final at least, Don't fancy Inter at all.
    The other 5 are pretty even

My predictions for the draw/rest of competition
    1/Chelsea Vs Barcelona- I want to see how Barca play against a solid defence and if chelsea can actually do anything in the competition

2/ Tottenham Vs Shakhtar- Two similar teams in a way very offensive minded, I think tottenham will get a good draw

3/ Manchester United Vs Real Madrid- I just have a feeling Man united will get a tough draw, I want to see how the defence stands up to a great attack and If our offence can get going.

4/Schalke Vs Inter Milan- A fairly even game I think, Inter should win

winner of 1 play winners of 2

So I think
    Chelsea Vs Tottenham
    Manchester United Vs Inter Milan

Final
    Tottenham vs Man united

Winners
    Man United

I think it all depends on who barca get in the draw, if they get chelsea or Tottenham I can see them going out paving the way for one of the english teams to win, I honestly think Man united are the strongest of the 3 english teams.

Again all depends on the quarter/semi draw

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Airspeed - nice analysis. I think Inter's form is starting to build and that's especially good at this late stage of the season. If Bayern wasn't knocked out, they would have been my 2nd faves after Barcelona.

I'm not convinced by Man Uted - IMO they seems to get "just by". They haven't been fully tested by some of Europe's top guns this season. However, I agree among the English teams they're the strongest.

6. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Although I'm a United fan I think their chances of winning the Champions Leagure are zero.

The squad is the weakest since the late 80's and there are too many players that are past it, always injured or simply crap.

The only decent players they have are,

Van Der Sar
    Vidic
    Evra
    The Da Silva twins
    Giggs
    Valencia
    Berbatov ( when he can be bothered )
    Shrek ( he's been shit for most of the last year though )
    Hernandez

The club has been punching above it's current weight all season and in recent weeks has been getting found out.

The lack of quality in midfield is the biggest problem and a 37 year old Giggs can't be expected to carry no hopers like Carrick & Nani or thugs like Scholes in every game although the return of Valencia should help things a bit.

They may win the FA Cup but that's all.

7. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

Airpseed while I respect your opinion... 3 English teams in the Semis? A all EPL final? Just a tad biased hmmm? :tongue: 

There is no way this Chelsea team this season can beat Barcelona they are a shambles right now even with their new Spanish glassman. Spurs are over achieving I think they will be a real handful for any team but I think the fairy tale is about to end (unless they get Schalke or Shaktar).

I'm massive Inter fan and while I will concede there was a fair element of luck in our progression, we did outplay Bayern in the last 20 minutes (and these are championship minutes, the ones that really matter) and both Bayern's goals came from our defensive errors... We are team that start slowly but get stronger throughout the competition.

Personally I see an all La Liga final or perhaps a Barca vs Inter/Man Utd.

At the moment the 4 favourites I would have to say (in no particular order) Barcelona, Madrid, Inter and Man Utd.

FORZA NERAZZURRI!!!!!!!!

8. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    the draw is out!

Real Madrid v Tottenham Hotspur
    Chelseav Manchester United
    Barcelona v Shakhtar Donetsk
    Inter Milan v Schalke

There will be an EPL team in the finals

9. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

The semi finalists will be

Real Madrid
    Chelski
    Barcelona
    Inter

10. foxfan352

I think Real Madrid will beat Tottenham I think they are the better fit team and have a better chance at winning the tournament.

Manchester can beat Chelsea however its team is injury ridden especially its defense which is an advantage for chelsea.

Barcelona will win but shakhtar could get lucky by winning its home game.

Inter looks like the they will win but Shalke is also a good team and I can see them going to the semi finals

Semi Final Prediction

Inter-Manchester United

Real Madrid-Barcelona

Final
    Real Madrid-Manchester United

Winner Manchester United Edit: I think Madrid will win it. Mourinho won it last year and he will win it this year

11. Airspeed

News Credits:
    Well, In the spanish league Real and Barca are the only in any way strong sides, with Real madrid having a really bad defence .
    Inter Milan in a way are like a worse Manchester united they only have 2-3 really good players while united have about 6-7. (I am a man united fan and I hate having to say that, but its true)

Chelsea are really getting much better now and are always really Solid in defence, But I still think Man united are a better side than them and Tottenham, Chelsea Tottenham are fairly even.

Shaktar, Schalke have no chance.

Barca I think will get to the Final, But I still will wait to see how they do against a good defence.

On to the draw
    The two I want to do well Man united and Spurs got tough draws

Man United Chelsea I think will depend on if we have our full selection of defenders to choose from. If ferdinand and Vidic are together we will win, otherwise it is really even.

Tottenham Real Madrid, Is actually the most exciting match of the 1/4 finals, two very offensive teams, I actually think Tottenham will win because they have a better defence in midfield and back, again it will depend if Bale and Van Der Vaart are fit.

Barca should get through ok, I don't think they will destroy them but they will win comfortably

Inter should beat schalke

leaving A semi Final line up of

Man United vs Inter
    Barcelona Vs Tottenham

Final Man United vs Barcelona
    Too close to call because I haven't seen Barca play against a good defence, Man United have good width from defence and midfield while barca rely on the right and left backs for width.

It looks to be a pretty tight draw with 2 tough games to predict.

Barcelona are clear favourites rightly so but they have not really played a side with a good defence yet.

12. foxfan352

The quarter finalist didn't do so good in their respective leagues

Real Madrid 0-1 Sporting Gijon
    Barcelona 1-0 villareal
    tottenham 0-0 wigan
    Inter 0-3 milan

probably they are taking it easy for the upcoming games

It will be interesting to see el classico before the possible el classico in the semi finals

On the other hand Man U did awesome 4-2 and a hat trick by rooney looks like they are going for both titles

Real Madrid main stars cr7 and benzema are injured along with marcelo luckily higuain is fit at ready

Inter looks like they are going to win and so does barca but you can't rule out the competition just yet

Man U vs Chelsea is going to be an intense match but looks like man u will go through

13. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    We're due a win at Stamford Bridge

14. foxfan352

Real Madrid 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur
    I was expecting 3-0 but the galacticos out did themselves especially abdebayor

Inter Milan 2-5 Shalke 04

Shalke is practically in the semi finals. I had a gut feeling shalke was not gonna be an easy win. Inter is gonna need a miracle if they want to go to the semi finals. Shalke is doing looking forward to their next match

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems like Shalke is Inter's boogy team. I recall many years ago when they beat Inter in the UEFA cup final? Their then-belgium striker scored a "screamer" of a goal against the Italians at that time.However, goal of the season belongs to Inter's Stankovic! LOL!

I'm not too surprised of the Madrid - Spurs game. The Spanish league maybe "unbalanced" due to the TV monies paid to Real Madrid and Barcelona but those 2 are still the teams to beat in European competitions.

I'm 50-50 against Chelsea vs Man Utd but I'm leaning towards Man Utd, especially since the they have the "home ground advantage" in the 2nd leg. The thing about Man Utd is that they keep "grinding" out results even when this squad isn't as good as previous ones and even when they are aren't playing well.

16. foxfan352

Chelsea 0-1 Manchester United Full Time

25' Rooney assist by Ryan Giggs

Chelsea had some opportunities but Manchester is getting the upper hand on them and a the end of the first half Evra made a spectacular save

Line Ups
    Man U.
    Van der Sar, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Rafael, Park, Carrick, Valencia, Rooney, Chicharito

Chelsea
    Cech, Cole, Terry Ivanovic, Basingwa, Zhirkova, Lampard, Essien, Ramirez, Torres, Drogba

17. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Finally a win at Stamford Bridge.

I love Giggs.

18. foxfan352

What do all of you think of what happened at the bernabeu? Do you think pepe deserved a red card?

From the slomo replays we can see that pepe never touches alvez and alvez dives and wins an award for best acting, leaves in a stretcher and then comes back perfectly fine.

Also barca had a very unsportman like attitud constantly diving, complaining to the ref for the slightest thing, and trying to get madrid players sent off by provoking them

19. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So there is no Barclays Premier League thread around here?UEFA thread is fair enough but don't you guys watch Barclays Premier League?

20. Airspeed

News Credits:
    I watch the premier league, I am currently in a state of shock after man United lost 6-1 to Man City.
    That said I think we are currently beginning to build a new squad with Jones, Smalling, Cleverly and then Rooney becoming one of the experienced guys.
    Man City look very good, I think they may just win it this year. I do expect Man United to find their form again and push them hard.
    Chelsea are starting also to filter out some of the older players bringing in Mata.
    Arsenal really need to buy some players, Van Persie is really carrying them and Tottenham or Newcastle may just get in ahead in 4th place.