2011 UEFA Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by foxfan352, Feb 15, 2011.

1. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

Besides the world cup thread I have never seen any other soccer thread. So I am gonna give this a try.

Today A.C. Milan vs Tottenham Hotspur so far 0-0

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Who do you want to win? I'd like Barcelona to win, they play brilliant football. I hate Tottenham, I hope they lose :/

3. foxfan352

A.C. Milan lost 0-1 to Tottenham
    Valencia 1-1 Schalke 04

I rooting for Manchester United. Barcelona also one of my favorite teams but I prefer Real Madrid. Arsenal is a full of young players and I hope they go far and I am definitely waiting to see some good games from the defending champs.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    really dont care since my Liverpool aint in it. But I think I would give my rooting for AC Milan just because Ibrahimovic is the only Swede that plays CL.

as long as chealsea or Barca dont win...

5. foxfan352

Liverpool lost on a great player by selling Torres to Chelsea but they couldn't do much since he wanted to leave. Don't worry Chelsea ain't playing very good this season. Barcelona is good but not as good as past seasons.

6. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Barcrlona is playing brilliantly this season! Disappointed at them losing though... I show great hate towards Chelsea. Barcelona IMO plays excellent football.

7. foxfan352

Arsenal 2-1 Barcelona

Arsenal is one of my favorite teams I kinda lost hope during half time but they came through Go Gunners!!!!

8. foxfan352

Manchester United 0-0 Marseille
    Inter Milan 0-0 Bayern Munich

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Final score for Inter vs Bayern is 1-0. With Gomes scoring in the last few minutes of the game. Its good to see Robben almost back to his best.

Despite his reputation as a "diver" on his day, Robben is one of the most electrifying players in the modern game. If he wasn't so injury prone, he would have been one of the current "greats".

10. foxfan352

sorry I didn't watch the whole game

11. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Meh. Barca will thrash Arsenal seeing as they're playing at the Nou Camp, and they have an away goal already so they only have to win 1-0 to go through.

12. foxfan352

It will be an interesting game hopefully I will have time to see it. Arsenal has 2 goals so they can tie and go through.

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm a Spurs fan, which means you can never be confident before a game, even with the nice lead we have ahead of the second leg against Milan.

Come on Barcelona! :D 

14. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am a Manchester United Fan, The marseille game was ok they didn't have any chances we had a few, a good position going into the game at OT. Gibson is shaping up well really stood out as a good attacking Midfielder especially given the Dire Carrick who doesn't seem to realise you can pass the ball forward. Rooney is playing pretty good in terms of passing and creating chances just not scoring as much, I would like to see him playing centre midfield that way we can have Berba and Hernandez up front while still having Rooneys vision. We do need to get out midfield attacking more

I also like Spurs (kind of my second team) delighted they are doing well in europe and without Bale too, I think if they came up against barca they would really give them a shock and I think Spurs could be the team to soundly beat Barca (prepared to be wrong), Anyone know when he is back ?

I think Barca will come undone against Arsenal again, IMHO they are not as good as the media is portraying them to be, Not great out wide so if you shut down Xavi and Iniesta you can really go at them, and a pretty average defense.

Real Madrid, should be doing really well but their defense is TBH terrible, they really let Casillas down. If they learned how to defend they would be very good.

Inter apart from Sneijder and Eto are pretty average, Bayern are similar With Robben and Ribery and Schweinsteiger and the rest being average.

Chelsea will get better as Torres adjusts to the new team, but I don't think they have a chance of winning the tournament.

AC milan , I don't know how they are leading the italian league, pretty dire.

Don't rate the rest.

I think it is between Man United, Tottenham (I think they will get pretty far), Arsenal, Barca and maybe Real if they can shore up their defense to win the tournament.

15. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Are you joking? I've watched Barcelona before in person, and the football they play is brilliant. They interact and all players work well for eachother. That's why they top La Liga and thrashed Real Madrid in el Classico.

/Rant.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No worries, dude - its just a game! :) 

So true about the comments on Inter and Bayern. IMO it was an injustice that Sneijder wasn't even on the running for football awards when his performance for both club and country in 2011 was amazing.

As for AC Milan...let's say the Italian league just doesn't attract even "talented" footballers like it did in the 80s and 90s. During that period, it was the most competitive league in the world. For example, it had Maradona, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkarrd, Baresi, Klinnsman, Baggio etc. Those were the days!

17. Airspeed

News Credits:
    I just think they are not AS good as everyone is going on about, they were not great against arsenal, in the Spanish league nearly every team has a terrible defense so I think Barca tend to struggle against more defensive teams (that can actually defend)
    For instance the group stages, While I didn't see too much of their matches the highlights , they were not as good as last year or the year before.

Barca could be so much better if
    -They played A winger, 1 would do I think, I know they have wide attackers like messi and Full backs, but A winger like Robben would be great for them and give them another option
    -Had a better defense
    -I don't think they need to play players like Busquets in midfield , I see the reasoning behind it but Given how Barca play a defensive mid is unnecessary

Given how good they already are I would really fear them if they did ^

I saw highlights of when they trashed madrid, it was all due to Real's defense which is shockingly bad (weird given that the individual players are fairly good) they really let Casillas down all the time, he barely ever gets a clean sheet.

Xavi and Iniesta are the key to how Barca play, Messi helps but it is mainly those two in midfield that run the show, I just think that if some team can shut them down then barca are beatable.

I was thinking about how to do this I had a few ideas
    1/ Tightly mark Xavi/Inesta and loosly mark the other, then one is forced to move the ball the other then they are then under pressure and have to either go wide, where barca are weak or go long for the strikers
    2/organise the defense and midfield so that the centre is packed leaving space on the wings again leaving no choice but to go wide

Something I notice about Barca also is that if their usual amazing and accurate passing style is not working they don't have another plan, they seem to run out of ideas.

This probably comes across as really critical and negative against Barcelona, but They are one of the best teams out there ATM and great to watch, I just don't think they are as amazing as the media portrays them as.

18. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    ^Fair do's. You debate well young Jedi ;) 

19. foxfan352

Manchester United well probably beat Marseille when there at their home stadium.I also might add that Nani is also a key player but looks like Gabriel Heinze experience got the best of him. I am Mexican and a Chicharito fan but he is young and still learning we can't expect that much from him(edit just saw him score 2 goals vs wigan so we might see more from him) however he has a knack for scoring lucky goals. They also got to start winning away games if they are gonna win the tournament.

I agree Barcelona aren't as good as they are hyped up to be. Don't get me wrong they have an awesome midfield xavi is a midfield genuise and so is iniesta but yes they lack a winger.

I hope Arsenal beat barcelona but I have to admit they got lucky with those last 2 goals.If the defence gets in sync messi and villa will have a hard time scoring goals with out being offside. They also got song as a pretty good defensive midfielder hopefully he will be able to contain Xavi.
    Fabregas is also an awesome midfielder.And up front they have Walcott and Nasri as their wingers. And also they have a pretty similar style of play to barcelona the tiki-taka style so if they play to their strengths they have a good chance at the tournament

Real Madrid is also my La liga team iker casillas is a definetly a key player and they kinda lack defense. they have a strong mid field and awesome forwards

20. Airspeed

News Credits:
    Yeah Nani has been great this season, played really well in more games he has only had a few poor games. Hernandez will just get better and better, he is amazing at finishing.

Just after reading what you said about arsenal and Barca

When you compare the different positions
    Goalkeeper/ Barcelona are probably superior,but defense has a big impact on how a keeper performs

Defense/ Very similar good full backs not so good centre backs

Midfield/ barca have better centre mids (Fabregas and Wilshere are very good though), Arsenal have a better defensive mid (Slightly) and better wingers

Forwards/ Quite even actually, obviously Messi and Villa are bigger names but Van Persie and Arshavin or Walcott are good.

Very even when you really analyse it, Alot will depend on who Wenger and guardiola chooses to start.