2011 MacBook Pro's

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by soundwaveCA, Jun 15, 2011.

1. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Anybody have any thoughts on these? I'm thinking about an upgrade, just wondering if anybody here had any impute or comments. Thanks

2. Autobotic9

Autobotic9 Well-Known Member

From what I've seen at Best Buy, it looks like the screen resolution was lowered, especially when I see my friends older one.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I have the early 08 MBP, and I would like to upgrade too, but I am thinking of holding out at least until Lion comes out. Possibly waiting until the thing has USB 3.0 ports. Also, I just saw a rumor that there will be a new case design for the next revision of the MBP. Unless you're working on a super old machine, I see no reason to upgrade quite yet.

4. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I have one but it's my first so i have nothing to compare it too. I do love it though.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Hows the fan noise? I heard there was some heat issues with them, particularly.

6. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the lower end 13 inch one, but it's also my first Macbook ever, so I cannot compare.

I can say that in hot months, there is a large amount of noise, and it does get heated, but every other time of the year, it's fine. I've also noticed that the noise and heat usually only comes on when using Skype for whatever reason; it doesn't even do that with most video games or movies! This might be less of a problem on the bigger models.

It also has some surprisingly good performance, being able to play 1080p movies decently well (though I don't watch enough to know) and the gaming performance beats my old Asus F81 with a dedicated mid-range graphics card! The Sandy Bridge is a great processor.

Of course, if you have never used a Mac, they are a joy to use. The trackpad, in my opinion, beats using a mouse in everything except gaming, and that alone would be a selling point. The OS is also very neat, things get organized well and there's never a need to do maintenance work like defragmentation or registry cleaning. In general it's a very intuitive OS.

Do keep in mind though, that there are strong rumors that a completely new design might be unfurled next year. Still, if you need a new laptop, you need it, and there's little point waiting for a new design which might or might not be that stable anyway.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Im torn between a 62GB Ipad, which Iv been told needs a data-plan like a phone for downloads, or a more expensive 500 GB Macbook Pro 15" unit.
    One is twice the cost, but does not require a monthly plan to use.

8. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Just get a 64 gig Ipad 2 Wifi only is about $120 cheaper and you can use it with your home network or teather it to your cellphone no need for an extra data plan. Mine has almost competely replaced my laptop.

9. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I don't get much fan noise on mine, it doesn't seem to run to hot either.

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    i have a brand new 13" MBP as well, i don't get fan noise or the heat issues either