2011 Botcon box set value...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Jun 3, 2011.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So I have a boxset on preorder from BBTS. Cost - $430. I'm buying it with the intention of reselling it eventually, maybe holding out for a 3rd party merge kit (unlikely, I know) and adding it to the sale.

Looking at eBay, there are TONS of them for sale. They are going for close to what I'm paying for it, usually less.

Is it worth my time and effort? Do you think the value will increase over time?

2. HollyW00d

HollyW00d Collecting Freak

Dude never look at these things as investments. You'll just lose out in the end. I've said it from the beginning, this set is not going to be that desirable. Most people that are buying it are planning on reselling it. What is happening is the market is going to be flooded and the price is going to drop. The early buyers (read idiots) always pay more but once more sets hit ebay the price is going to go down.

You are paying markup on top of what these sellers are paying, so there is little chance you will make any money especially with the 10% whack from ebay/paypal.

3. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    This is one of the years that the boxset is a more coherent grouping of characters than usual. Probably the first time that's happened since 2006's pre-BW Maximals. And these have the added G1 fanwank.

I'd think they're worth it financially, but you probably won't be making Shadow Scyther kind of money.

4. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

If anything, you're gonna have to sit on this set for a while to get any real guage on what kind of price they will command. This is the first Botcon set I have ever purchased and really don't plan on selling it personally. To each his own though.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Botcon sets are not the best investment you can buy for TF's. They flux a liot.

6. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Given that Derrick Wyatt has said these are official canon and the comic book is 'Animated 3.5' not to mention all the new head-sculpts I'd say it's worth it. Animated fans will most likely get more fanatical when there runs out of stuff to get.

7. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

Animated toys aren't selling for much so I don't expect these animated botcons will sell for much. especially since these are characters not featured in the TV show.

8. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

And you assume everyone is an animated fan, I take it. I honestly think this year's toy showing is one of the weakest. Right up there with 2009 (imagine that, another Pasadena Con). No way this set goes for crazy money in the future. It will probably go the same way as the 2009 and 2010 sets.

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I couldn't shift my 2010 set until I dropped it under $300.

A few years I've bought both the boxed and the loose set with the intention of keeping the loose and selling the box for a profit, but it's NEVER worked out for me. The price-hype is entirely driven my patient sellers sticking firm to their high starting prices, even when they don't sell, and imaptient buyers biting *just* often enough to encourage the sellers to stay high.

If ebay REQUIRED all auctions start at .99 with no reserve, and we truly let the market determine what prices would be borne...this would be a very different fandom, I suspect...

D/L

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    honestly, its a great set for animated fans, but I don't see any value in the set as a whole. If they Merged that may be a different sotry.

Bottome line, people will pay more NOW, but later these will drop. Just like 2010 and 2009
    I say wait. To many people got these sets just to sell them.

11. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I thought everyone was then why would I specify 'Animated fans'? Try not to assume everything in the future ;) 

12. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

The 2007 and 2008 botcon sets really set return expectations very high. I don't think we're going to come close to that this time around.

13. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

To be honest it's hard to say. Given the nature of the set, IMO people aren't as interested in a particular figure from this set like in years prior, rather they're more interested in the set as a whole.

Within a month or two after the con finishing I could see you being able to flip it for some profit, barring ebay and paypal fees don't negate it. However keeping it for longer, say a year from now, is a bit of a gamble. Personally I don't see it going for crazy amounts in the future, at best you might be able to recoup the cost of it. Now if this was a classics themed stunticon set...the price for it would go through the roof...

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ah, fuck it. I canceled it. Maybe if I had gotten it at original price, but with the markup it's just not worth it.

15. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think this set will go up, but there is just too many out there right now.

16. Tirade

Well shoot, the animated fandom is a small niche imho. If it had been so popular, it would have lasted longer. So there really can't be that many animated fans out there. Hence why I don't think this set will have much value in the future. Look at all the Classics toy fans out there. That line has lasted because of the demand and popularity (albeit under several names).

17. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Animated ending had more to do with Hasbro making their own channel and Cartoon network not wanting to basically promote a company thats now a competitor to them. I think they also produced the show for Hasbro.

18. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :bowdown: 

19. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

Not to mention ROTF was starting to come into play around when Animated started dying off as a toy line. Really, both the cartoon and the toy line died for various reasons, none of which seem to be due to a lack of popularity, IMO. I think the Animated BotCon set will still hold it's value just as well as any other BotCon set. Time will tell all of course, but I really can't see it being worth any less than the price the Box Set originally was, anyway.

But hey, that's just me.

20. Tirade

The Classics based stuff took a hiatus when RotF came out. However, it roared back with a vengeance. From my experience, the Animated toys clogged the shelfs (much like the movie toys). Can't say that for most of the Classics styled toys.

At the end of the day, Animated is a flash in the pan. Nothing more. Why BotCon ever chose an Animated theme is beyond me.