2009 Botcon Set Speculation Thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Sep 30, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    So what do you think Hasbro/FunPub will have in store for us in 2009? Do you think the 2009 Botcon set will be Classics/Universe based or TF Animated Based? How special will the set be.......being that it's the 25th anniversary and all?

Has there been any rumors yet? Let the speculation begin.........

2. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I got a feeling that they'll redo Universe Prowl/Silverstreak as Jazz, and Sideswipe as Red Alert.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

No way. I'll be surprised if we don't get Red Alert as a regular release, or at worse a store exclusive.

Based on what they've said (something about "for one young Autobot") they're going to give the fans what they want: a Wheelie themed set.
    Just you wait and Wheelie... er, see. I'll be proved right.

4. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I would guess something based from the Animated line...

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While realizing that TFA does appeal to a decent percentage of the adult fanbase, I'm still not certain there would be mass appeal for an uber-pricey TFA Botcon set.

I maintain that TFA doesn't create the large-scale adult draw that G1/BW/Classics/Universe stuff does; and since the purpose of convention exclusives is to garner adult & collector (i.e., full price) attendance at the con, I see a TFA set as less likely.

And that's just observation & speculation on my part, not a slam on TFA.

6. AximusPrime

AximusPrime Well-Known Member

How about a Diaclone theme? Blue Bluestreak, red Sunstreaker, black Ironhide, black Megatron with brown handle, Seeker with diaclone jet scheme, movie scout Spyshot 6 with reflector scheme, etc.

7. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know what will be left after this Special Edition line taking up possible Botcon idea's while I am sure the set is already decided on for next year. The guess I would make would upset a lot of people, because most feel they should get a mass release. I would like to see a Devastator G1 set to tie in with the movie sequel.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    People have talked about a Punch/Counterpunch from the Sunstreaker mold, and I see that as more likely than Red Alert, whether they go ahead with it or not. I don't see Jazz happening at all, mainly because there was already a G1-esque Jazz in the Shattered Glass set last year.

My guess would be either an Animated-themed set, using Animated versions of G1 characters not covered in the cartoon or known not to have toys (Cybertron-mode Optimus as Kup, for potential example) - or a new Classics/Universe-based themed set, along the lines of Shattered Glass. Maybe there could be a generational or universe-spanning set, to go with the 25th anniversary.

Scary though it may be, with the 25th anniversary, there might be even more Botcon stuff than usual, ready to eat up money. :) 

9. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Classics Aerialbots, or Combaticons.

Maybe an Ultra sized Protectobot?

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I speculate that some fans will complain. And I'll probably buy every piece no matter what.

11. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

A Diaclone themed set would suck. Only because I'd be compelled to drop $350 on the set. :) 

12. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i hope its animated that would be so cool

13. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

The Seacons in G1 colors would be nice.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe a "25 years collected" box, where they have a special deco toy from the biggest TF lines? Lets see, there could be a toy from G1, BM/W, RID, Energon, and Animated in the same box? Or maybe they'l have a "G1 Animated" set, where there's some Animated toys done up like their G1 counterparts, like Shockwave being overall purple instead of grey?

15. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd love to see a Diaclone set. I do see the classics/universe bots in there more than the Animated ones. There is just more mass appeal to the Botconners for those guys. But wh knows... Animated Shattered Glass?

Better $350 than the $600 to $800 after market mark-up.

Now that is not even challenging to make that guess. What would a Botcon be without complaining from the masses?

16. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just hope it's close enough for me to go again, and if it's not, I hope it's an animated themed set. I really like all the universe molds and would want to own those if they used them, especially if they had another use of the classics SS mold. Most of all, I pray classics sunstorm is not part of the set this year.

17. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

If it's an Animated themed set, I guess I would make my money back for going to Botcon, because I would sell it very fast.

The only thing we know for sure is that they WON'T be Movie toys, since they would need permission from Hasbro and Paramount.

18. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Animated or Universe Bumblebee repaints in all the glorious Brazilian colors!!

19. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I've been saying for like a year and half now and I'll keep saying it Diaclone set for the win!!! Maybe punch/counter punch as a club exclusive though.

20. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This goes without saying.
    The "young autobot" thing made me think of Animated Optimus, but Im not sure.