2007 Movie Blackout

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Jul 26, 2009.

1. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Okay, so I finally got around transforming Blackout today, mine came from the Desert Attack 2 pack, so it came in robot mode right out of the box. The instructions said to slide both shoulders/arms backwards, but it did not make any sense, so I went searching for a video review on YouTube. Turns out that you need to pop both shoulders out. I tried popping them, it was really tight but I managed to do it. Then came the horror, both shoulder tabs had serious stress marks on them, the left side even cracked a little, still holding very tightly, but cracked.

Okay, so my OCD self is now telling myself to get another 1, but after reading several reviews, it seems that this happens quite often but upon watching some video reviews on YouTube, it seems that most people pop the shoulder out with ease, but mine's very tight.

So is it a design flaw or did I used too much force? Could I have handled it better?

2. TacticalSamurai

TacticalSamurai Hunter Killer

You used tooo much force. Your not supposed to pry them off the joints. You only pull them outwards just enough so it untabs from these two small slots, then you reattach those to the front slots. Honestly most people on youtube can't transform Blackout right. Even the automorph gimmick, you're supposed push on the entire back section downwards to make the legs and head move down to form robot mode.

3. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Sorry it didn't came out right, I meant I was trying to free the shoulder tabs. I was wigglying the right shoulder but it didn't move at all, so I tried to pop out the tab and it worked, but as I wiggled the left shoulder, the entire arm came right off. And it happens every single time after that, the left arm would pop right off.

Edit: Damn it, I tried transforming it again and the tab on the left side broke off. I wasn't even trying to transform that part yet. I am not replacing it, useless I see Grindor on clearance.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's a badly designed toy. Your experience isn't unusual, I assure you.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yup. I was extremely careful with mine after reading online reviews and I still got some stress marks.

6. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:

I didn't even know there was a problem with him. It just came naturally to me (considering the fact this was my second voyager figure EVER) so, I don't know where to help you... be careful next time you transform someone...?

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Pity we seem to have to use kid gloves these days when transforming certain figures. You'd think they'd be designed to be a bit more sturdy.

8. NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman Well-Known Member

He was one of my first Voyagers from TFTM and one of the first Transformers I had purchased since the early 90's. Needless to say, his shoulders threw me for quite a loop at first.

His alt mode is terrific, and his robot mode is quite nice based on the aesthetics. However, I do agree that he is among the weakest in the entire line when it comes to overall design. I have been spoiled by great Voyagers, particularly in the RotF line, but even without comparing others in the same class to him it's easy to see that his transformation shouldn't have involved such clumsy shoulder tab usage and backpack shifting and internal folding.

I don't regret getting him, but I generally tell people to think twice before getting this mold. Once you know how to transform him he's not too bad, but there are better molds in the same class with much smoother and more clever transformations.