2007 Botcon Exclusive Dreadwind

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by DisThunder, Jun 14, 2007.

1. DisThunder

DisThunder Just got here.

News Credits:
    So, as many of you are already aware, Dreadwind is the Voyager Class repaint included in the Games of Deception box set for BOTCON this year.
    He is, to say the least, and odd choice for inclusion. With some very prominent Decepticon seekers like Dirge, Thrust and Thundercracker being included, it's kind of a surprise to see a fringe G1 character like Dreadwind make the cut.
    As a character, he's pretty underwhelming. The Decepticon equivalent to Eeyore, He missed being on the G1 series, and short of the Marvel comics run, was essentially a nobody in a sea of Con jet fighters.
    Why would I spend a ridiculous amount of money on this thing? Am I some kind of diehard Dreadwind fan?
    ...kinda. As it turns out, the G1 Dreadwind was one of the few latter year Decepticons I ever got, and the only powermaster at that. I think it was probably the F-16 jet mold that made me so enamored. Needless to say, in my army he was a cutthroat badass who wouldn't take "no" for an answer. Imagine my surprise years later when I found out what his character was really written like...

Anyway, review time.

He is, or course, a repaint/remold of the Classics Jetfire. For those curious here's the rundown of the changes made:
    1. New very G1 Headsculpt
    2. All translucent plastic has been changed from light blue to teal.
    3. Everything else is deco.

--I added the repro con symbol. Sadly, he comes with no markings of his own.

If you liked this mold the first time around, you'd like it again here. The figure itself is nice and tight, everything works as well here as it did the first time around. The mold actually fits this character surprisingly well, seeing as Dreadwind is portrayed as being a large mech, and the F-14/Robotech hybrid jet mode is at least evocative of his fighter plane roots. The nice thing about this mold is thanks to the armor and wings, he has a lot of appearance options. I have him displayed wings down, sans armor, and it does help downplay how close he is to his Autobot mold-mate.
    The deco in itself does a lot with very little; the base color is still white, but the deletion of any black on the figure makes it appear different enough to be effective. While purple, teal and white would be hardly found among my favorite colors, they are very true to his G1 form, and aesthetically very pleasing. For being such light colors, they still look very Decepticon, and he looks especially at home next to Classics Megatron.

The new head is the major sellpoint, and it is excellent. The only thing that would've been cooler is some light piping, but needless to say it looks fine without it.

So overall, was he worth the money? Honestly, you can't really ever call something like a convention exclusive a value. He's a pre-existing figure, with some minor changes, going for 4 times his retail value. Am I glad I bought him? Absolutely. But I'm not going to lie to myself (or anybody else) and say it was a good deal. I just really wanted another Voyager, and a piece of the convention, to put with my classics.
    I do recommend SPX to anybody looking to score test shots, though. He ships fast, he packs very well, and is as honest a seller as you'll find out there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rikkomba

rikkomba Retired Minicon Guru

(I got my Alpha Trion from SPX and he packaged it so thighly that the wings were awfully bent... but I blame much more whoever chose the USA version of the mold (how many children are going to pla with A3?).
    Other then this, he's a great guy and he made my collection a big favour... again, I paid too much, but maybe... not at all)

They made a great job methinks, even the head itself is enough to make a new character out of an existing toy... I really like it. You are a lucky guy!

3. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great review, I now want a Dreadwind - even though I know I can't afford him!

Aside from the lowered wings, I suggest leaving his nosecone untransformed. This serves to emulate the G1 Dreadwind look even more, and differentiates him further from Jetfire.

4. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Nice review, man. I love it. Too bad I can't afford it. :( 

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll let you look at mine online.

6. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Or I'll just be waiting at your new residence in Alexandria and bop you over the head and take it. :D 

7. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent toy, I wish I had the dough to buy one...

Do you have a G1 Dreadwind so you could take a pic with the old and the new?

Him and Darkwing were very well-written and funny characters, especially under Furman. "Out to Lunch" is one of my fav. 5-pager UK comic issues:

[​IMG]

8. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent review, but I wanted to add that my Dreadwind came with a Decepticon rub symbol right where you placed yours. I expect the official ones will have the rub symbol.

9. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wait, is that a custom megatron in the middle??? In the last pic?????

10. DisThunder

News Credits:
    Yeah, he's just Cybertron Defense Scattorshot with some grey paint and a new head.

...I probably shoulda mentioned that.

11. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Great idea! I'll do that with mine.

Who's head is it? Classics Megs?

-airfox

12. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    nice. great reviw!

Can't wait for mine!

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Cool review. I wish I could afford a set of this years exclusives. Just curious, but, is there a gallery of pictures of that Shockwave? I know where you got the arm from, but, I would like to see how big of a difference that makes at different angles and in his alt mode. If it's nice enough, I might get the pieces needed together and do something similar.

14. DisThunder

News Credits:
    When I get a sec, I'll take some pics of Shockwave and send 'em your way. It's a cakewalk of a mod, probably the only reason I hadn't posted any of it before...

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, thanks. Energon Shockblast's huge arm is the only thing that has stopped me from getting him in the past. That mod might convince me to get him, though getting a 2nd Wing Saber cheap won't be easy, lol.

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He seems to be "getting physical" with those tael leg and wrist warmers.

17. Threat Factor

Threat Factor Target Acquired

Hey Great job on that Megatron, really looks good. :thumb 

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like that little decep symbol on the chest flap. That's standard issue? (considering all the customs in this thread, and Classics toys' aversion to painted faction insignia, I don't want to assume )

Nifty customs, BTW. :) 

19. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Definitely looks nice but the price is just nuts

20. UTK007

UTK007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm so excited about getting these figures in two weeks!!!