Minor/Repaint: 2005 Wonderfest Resin Optimus Prime Statue

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TFPrime, Jun 29, 2012.

1. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So for awhile now I've known of this resin model kit of a G1 Prime from Wonderfest a few years back. Hard to come by now days, but I know TFSource had a listing on ebay..i asked them about it and that listing mysteriously vanished and got no answer. Oh well.
    [​IMG]
    Then some time later I saw another seller with one. They wanted 250$ plus shipping..I got him to go 200$ shipped. Worked for me.
    [​IMG]
    Now the only problem being..While I've repainted things before, and done some model stuff before..never worked with resin. So I researched a bit, asked around and tried to prepare as best as I could..I didn't want to screw this guy up.
    So got my package in..and I was really excited to get it going..but kept telling myself to be patient and do it right..
    [​IMG]
    I took out all the pieces, and soaked them in soapy water and used a toothbrush to remove all the release agent that might be on the pieces still, then trimmed off all the flash and extra bits of resin with my knife..and once that was done, using some wall putty, put the pieces together to make sure everything fit right and looked good.
    [​IMG]
    Once that was done, I sprayed over the pieces with a base coat paint so the finished paint would apply better and be even and all..
    [​IMG]
    I sprayed one side, let it dry, and flipped the pieces to get the other side..not usually how I've repainted..normally I don't bother with undercoats..just go finish, but again, wanted to do it right.
    After base coat was added, and dried, I divided up the pieces into their individual colors and started spraying..a nice deep blood red for Prime, with some metallic flake royal blue and then for his metal stuff, I didn't want just grey, so I used Rustoleum Chrome which really works great and gives a very nice chrome effect more so than just silver paint will. Just be careful to let it dry thoroughly before you touch it..leaves fingerprints really easily and that looks awful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once sprayed and dried, although I probably could have given it a few more days..but gave it 24hrs, I just had to start putting him together..
    [​IMG]
    so I did, slowly, starting with feet on up. I read that ordinary superglue works for resin, but I found a lot of the times, it didn't create that great of a seal..or, it just glued to the paint, and would come free and just remove the paint from that connection point. But, I carefully went back in and reglued the areas effected and gave it more time to set. And it worked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After all together, I gave him a few days to just dry out and set..and now he's all done!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now that he's done...while I was out buying supplies to do this at Hobby Lobby, this truck model kit caught my eye..and thought it looked rather G1 Prime like, so, I've begun working on him too, and will be painting him up to look like Prime.. To be continued!!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beautiful! It looks like it was a lot of fun to work on.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Is the model truck in scale with the Wonderfest kit?

That'd make for a pretty cool display.

4. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

^ Nope thats a 1/25 scale model and is pretty much the same size as MP01
    ( The model is a little bit bigger )

Your paint job makes the resin kit look great....to bad the kit is so small...of course not your fault by any means. It is a greatly detailed kit for something so small , great job

5. Satomiblood

It would've been nice if the G1 Revoltech looked more like this.

6. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    That is amazing.;) 

7. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I was kinda hoping the kit was just a bit bigger...but it came together nicely and will fit in with my display pretty well. I have the model base coated now, so this weekend I'll paint it up and next week start putting it all together.

8. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    Looks great man! Definately an inspiration for me to put mine together!

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you've done an exceptional job on this :thumb 

10. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks Allen, and Scott--get on it. But, I would probably glue together the same colored pieced FIRST before painting or priming etc...Again, once they've been glued, they don't bond as well because it's trying to glue the paint, and not the resin. That's my opinion anyways.. and you have to file down a lot of the connector "dots" each section has..they have sorta male/female ports to each piece, but they never seem to fit well..get rid of them, the male bump part anyways.

11. Satomiblood

Does this have any articulation? I ask because each stock pic I've seen of it is of the same static pose.

12. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no i think this reson kit was static pose, but would be pretty easy to articulated, i've been debating about ordering on for a long time. This turned out great man, to anyone else looking for them theres another site that sells the reason casts of them as well.

13. stevil33

stevil33 Army of Wastemen

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Good work man, I always like seeing the progress from start to finish like you've shown here.
    The finished article looks spot on, beautiful.
    I look forward to seeing the truck model.

14. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks. There is no articulation..he's just all glued into place. Which works well enough really for him. I got the model cab all red..I need to find some decent silver sticker material to cut out..that, or I may just paint it for the silver highlights. Michael Bay said he didn't go with a red and blue truck cause it just wouldn't look realistic..and he's right. It'll look kinda odd just the red and blue..but, oh well..that's how it's going..with chrome parts and all.

15. Satomiblood

Yea, I think this would look great with some revoltech joints.

16. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe on version 2? lol I guess this years Wonderfest kit has joints like that..I have one ordered off that site (only 40$!) so I'll give it a try.

17. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Slight update/bump...Got a 2nd one in, a recast. And also got the 2012 or 11, whichever..Wonderfest Super-Deformed Recast in as well. Posed the 2005 version a bit differently this time, and the new one is kinda cool as it's poseable.
    [​IMG]

18. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Great job!

19. Satomiblood

Nice. It just needs some added articulation. Since the 2nd was a cast, does this mean you'll get another one (assuming it's financially feasible) to give the Revoltech treatment?

20. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :bowdown: