2001: The year people hate on the Turtles but want the robots

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Feb 10, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I heard somewhere that John Woo was set to either direct or produce a CGI Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film with his producing partner, Terence Chang, and two studios, Digital Rim Entertainment and Lion Rock Productions. This peaked my interest enough to go on Google and search up any production history on the project considering that the last Ninja Turtles film, TMNT, was less than satisfying to me. I finally found out that the project was apparently scrapped because the television pilot that was produced by one of the animation houses they used, Rainbow Studios (now known as the recently shut down THQ Digital Phoenix), was never picked up by a network. But on the same forum I had first found out about this information, one member, Craig Crumpton, chose to reply to the statement by saying this (NOTE: This was back in 2001, WAY before Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto even got the rights):

"While this is really cool news, I'm not really that excited about it. For one, the Ninja Turtles had their 15 minutes. I liked the first movie, but they went downhill quickly with the sequels (I only watched the last one because David Warner was in it).

If they do stay true to the COMIC Turtles, it might be cool. However, in light of the anti-violence issues in Hollywood these days, I'm skeptical that they'll be able to pull it off. Granted, the Turtle fans are older now and they could make this movie with a PG-13 rating for older audiences, but then you know the toy companies and studio execs aren't gonna go for that.

What I gotta wonder is why there can't be at least 1 filmmaker who was a diehard Transformers fan in the 80s with some connections in Hollywood.

Transformers is SCREAMING for a CG/live-action movie to be made - the original movie was by far ahead of its time - it was considerably violent and had death and destruction on a galaxy-wide scale. It also had "adult language" - the S-word, the D-word and the H-word are all in the film.

Transformers fans make up one of the web's largest online communities for any animated series (or live-action series for that matter). And Hasbro has been sitting on the license, doing mostly *squat* with it.

There was actually preliminary animation done and a script completed last year for a feature-length TF movie (based on the original animated series) by a producer of animation for music videos (the company that produced the CG animation for the Backstreet Boys "Rock Your Body" video, FYI).

Hasbro turned it down because "it wasn't connected to the TF series currently airing on TV, nor to a toyline they were currently producing". Nevermind that original TF toys fetch hundreds of dollars on ebay, even for LOOSE (out of package) items and that TFs are the #1 requested series for CN to pick up. (I actually got a reply from CN once where the guy laughed at my suggestion that they try to pick up "Transformers: The Movie" to air on Cartoon Network Theatre.)

The fans are numerous, and they want this movie to happen. With the huge popularity of anime and CG, movie audiences are primed (no pun intended) and ready for this kind of film.

And Hasbro couldn't care less.

They're sitting on a golden egg and they don't even realize it. What a waste.

Too bad there's no TF fan in the right position to buddy-up with the likes of a John Woo, Steven Speilberg, Barry Sonnenfeld, Jerry Bruckheimer or the Wachowski brothers. Any one of those guys could make a kick*** TF feature film.

Dang, I hate those danged turtles."

Now, this is sort of interesting because the guy says that there was a company that makes animation for music videos that did a script and preliminary animation for a TF film. I'm not sure if that statement regarding the company is true or not but could someone let me know if it is?

Oh, and before I forget, here's the link to the site:
    http://www.toonzone.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-2097.html

2. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

I was really puzzled until I realized it was a quote from 2001.. :) 

I wish I had some answers, but all I've got is a couple of QUOTE tags. :) 

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

The funny part is that the guy was going on about how Hasbro wasn't doing Transformers right and stuff, when Armada was just around the corner and getting ready to reinvigorate the line.

What's also interesting is that he's unintentionally pointing out why having a "diehard" fan in charge is a BAD idea. He's completely oblivious to how the franchise actually works, and totally exaggerating the power of the fan community in regards to making something financially profitable on a mass-release scale.

Too bad he doesn't outright state the name of the company, because there isn't much to go on when the only thing there is amounts to nothing more than a rumor.

4. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as a tmnt fan......things that make you go hmmmmm

5. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

I don't know what their problem is. TMNT is cool too, they should give all toy lines an equal chance. Besides, everyone loves turtles!

6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Personally I'm happy about how the Transformers franchise had turned out since the advent of the TF films. It may have turned out differently if they went with this plan originally but what's done's been done.

Besides even if the films didn't agree with many of the fans they helped bring out shows and games that they liked better like Animated,Prime,WFC and FOC! Let's be grateful that we have those to enjoy!:) 

7. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just outta sheer morbid curiousity for anyone here is that cgi TMNT tv show that wasn't picked up. Keep note this is unrendered. Obviously studios don't put that much money into a pilot for fear that it won't get picked up but here ya go:
    Proposed TMNT CGI TV Series "Pilot" Clips - YouTube

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I would've loved it if they had come out with a TF movie back in 2001. That was when I was big into Transformers, and it was an actual part of my childhood. When the TF movie came out in 2007, I went to see it with a friend and LOVED it because I wasn't really a part of the fandom at the time, and saw it with clear eyes, not clouded by feelings of GEEWUN as I wasn't around at that time.

9. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    DAMNIT!

That was fantastic.

O.G. B&W TMNT comic!

Mirage Studios wink & nod!

Triceratons!

In-jokes about cutting the silly-ass Valley Turtle speak!

WANT.

:-\

10. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked the TMNT cgi movie that was done a while ago, it's my favourite incarnation of the turtles, raph is a proper bad ass and the team was stretched with a powerful enemy that would have led to a shredder return in the sequel. The voice acting was great and so were the gags imo. A pity it didn't carry on.

11. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I highly agree with you, the cgi interpretations of the turtles are by far the most realistic

12. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I think he may be refering to a rumor that was floating around back in 2001 about a production company named Supermega Media (which I don't think is around anymore) which was headed by a guy name Joseph Kahn. The rumor being that he had aquired the film rights and was working on a live-action TF film. Which obviously never happened, though Kahn did go on to direct a 2003 movie called Torque.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I do rememer the rumor being out there at the time.

13. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Joseph Kahn? Yeah, I heard that guy was trying to pitch his ideas for a live-action TF movie to Sony Pictures back in 2001. He actually said what his pitch was about and about how he tried to pitch it to Sony Pictures on Formspring: Joseph Kahn (JosephKahn) | Formspring
    He also stated his ideas for a trailer for the film here (NOTE: This is from 2001):

But I've never heard of a company called "Supermega Media". Where did you get that name and info from?

14. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WELL as a turtle fan myself, i would also love to see a live action version done soon with cgi not outdated puppets. Funnily enough, a new version is supposedly in production by none other than michael bays company

15. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

The name of the company is Platinum Dunes. He won't be directing, but he will be producing.

16. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I really liked the film. Saw it in theaters.

I wasn't a huge Turtles fan as a kid, but I did watch the old cartoon and I knew all the characters. I saw the 2007 CGI film and thought it was cool - especially loved the Raphael/Leonard fight in the rain. Hell, I loved Raph in that movie, period.

I know it didn't do that great, but I would have enjoyed a continuation of it.

17. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are getting your wish as the new movie is a mixture of live action and cgi

It's his production company but sometimes those than own the production company aren't even the producers he could have someone else be on it. I just think it's odd that he hasn't even mentioned or talked about it.

18. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

He will along with his other partners, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form.

19. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Very true, but 11 years later has anything changed? on any given day members here and now will claim we drive sales and we determine what is and is not successful. and any evidence to the contrary be danged!

20. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Doesn't anyone find the idea of someone else who was actually a fan of Transformers taking the reigns of a live-action film before Michael Bay fascinating?