20 years from now, how do you think Transformers Animated will be remembered?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you think it will be remembered for being a well written show? Or a show for kindergartners (I mention this from a article I read yesterday that referred to it in such a manner, I don't agree with it of course)?

I see it being remembered as a cult favorite among the fandom.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The Animated fans will always hold TFA in the highest position.

Do you have a link to this article?

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Much like beast wars. Most will remember it as a great show, with great writing and characters, and a inventive, unique, dynamic art style. but some will dislike it for a variety of reasons, such as just not getting into it, not liking the art, not liking the human villains, or never having watched it at all and just deciding that it's horrible.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Probably this.

5. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Good Times.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Wow, that guy's an idiot. He says it ditched mature plots in favor of kindergarten setups? The Ratchet/Omega Supreme storyline that spans the entire series was a kindergarten setup? Really?

This is a perfect example of what I stated above. Some people will hate on it without ever having seen a single episode.

He also dismisses all the previous Transformers video games, which would include the absolutely stellar Armada game, that even after FoC is released, still stands a strong chance of being the best TF game there is to a lot of people.

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Very fondly no doubt about it. Believe me its going to be praised for a VERY long time and for good reason.

The one question I have is however will Prime be remembered fondly in the next 20 years now that I'm wondering about but that's for another topic.

9. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not quite sure I agree with this.

Beast Wars was pretty revolutionary for its day. It was one of the very first CGI-only cartoons (ReBoot is the only other one I can remember from around that time), and its use of story arcs was also pretty revolutionary for a kids show.

I mean, nowadays we all take story arcs for granted (in a Post-X Files, post-Babylon 5 TV landscape), and even expect them in most shows. But back in the nineties it was still a pretty new concept for live-action adult shows, let alone so-called kids' stuff.

Although I'm a fan of Animated myself, it's nowhere near as fresh or innovative as Beast Wars was. The "unique, dynamic art style" you mention isn't really that unique, when you think about it. The style is very much akin to other Cartoon Network shows, and no more unique than that of, say, Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory or the Powerpuff Girls.

It may seem like a unique art style to TransFans (who had never really seen Transformers depicted that way before), but in the wider world of animation, it's pretty much par for the course.

So, in summation, I'd say it was an excellent show, altough pretty much on a par with its contemporaries. It was nice to get a new stylistic take on our favourite robots, and of course it spawned some wonderful toys. However in the long run I still think Beast Wars leaves the bigger legacy.

Oh, I'm sure there are also some people out there who praised it without seeing an episode, too. I know some fans who refuse to accept criticism of anything that bears the Transformers logo, no matter how good/bad it is. There are silly people on both sides of the divide, IMHO.

That said, I don't think it's THAT unreasonable to form an opinion without seeing a single episode. For example, I've never seen an episode of Glee, yet I can pretty much guess that I won't like it!

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Among transformers series it is. It looks like absolutely nothing else in the franchise. That's all I meant.

11. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    You just know FOC will be "1 SHAL STND 1 SHL FOL!!11!", "TILL OLL R 11!!", and "MII GRIMLOCK!" and people like that will praise it to high heavens, for it's throw back to the "somewhat" corny G1 dialogue, and memorable characters, such as... Optimus, Megatron, and the rest. Which is good, because nothing must change!

12. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I'd imagine some might think Transformers animated, is teen titans generation 2. Twenty years from now.

13. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it'll have a reception similar to Beast Wars.

14. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Same as Beast Wars, more or less. Some will remember it fondly, and some will despise it because it's different.

15. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guessed as much; if you re-read my original post, you'll find I did actually go on to say:

It was a long, rambing post though; I'm not surprised you missed it!

16. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

Animated did have some silly episodes, but animated also had some mature and serious plots as well. Someone could make an arguement about it being childish because it did have those episodes. Personally, I like animated a whole lot, but the show doesnt hold a candle to Beast Wars.

17. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

Just compare the box office numbers between Scott Pilgrim and ROTF. People don't want original and unique material these days. That's why I'm all for the IDW comics cause they feature CHANGE.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Regarding that article, It's pretty obvious any opinions are mostly just offhand remarks from someone who probably never saw anything more than a promo or two, (even Rescue Bots isn't really 'Kindergarten-grade' to those that actually watch it) as a framing device to talk about the game.

Hard to say how Animated will be viewed in 20 years. It will probably depend a lot on what comes between now and then. I've been a little surprised about the seeming increase in average negativity toward Beast Wars nowadays, as a greater weight of vehicle-TF shows,time, and fan-turnover have rendered BW a dated abberation to some.

As it stands, Animated may not , even probably won't, hold its high regard over a large timeframe. It seems unlikely however that there will ever be another Transformers show that matches Animated's style, which makes it a historical standout in that sense (along with another visually-distinctive-yet-controversial-yet-not-necessarily-popular TF show, Beast Machines)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  19. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Will be remembered as a fun Transformers show that can entertain kids and adults. With a fresh story to bring new fans and many references to the old ones. What amazes me every time that I watch Animated is how writers and designers of the show creates a new world, new history, new mythos and even with all this "new" stuff, still screams "Transformers" to me.

20. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I can't speak for everyone, but I'll always remember it very fondly, as the show that made me feel good to be a Transformers fan again (that and Bay's movie... after the god-awful Unicron Trilogy I thought I was done with Transformers).

It also did the impossible and made the human characters very likeable (yes, even the villains! xP)