2 silly Arcee notions....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jorod74, Feb 19, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was thinking again- and waiting for the world to end because of it- when i thought of these:

1. what if Arcee wasn't a fembot after all?
    have you ever looked at a line of cars and thought of words like sleek, elegant, formal, curvacious, etc.?
    there aren't many cars in the world that are feminine, but some come close.
    so i was thinking, what if Arcee was just a TF whose alt mode was so elegant that it carried itself over to a gender? Like i used to think the Kharma Ghia was a frumpy old girl of a car. or the 60s era Jaguar XKE was lady like, as opposed to the manly GTO Judge or other muscle cars.
    Actually, i like this notion as much as the questioning of Tracks' sexual orientation. Maybe he is like Arcee in that his alt mode really does carry over to a gender identity issue.

2. Shouldn't feminists (i luv the term feminazi, though i doubt TFW encourages Rush Limbaugh terms here, lol) be kinda pissed that of the few female bots in the universe, her name implies servitude and bondage.
    Arcee is sooooo close to R/C...or remote control...that it should be a point of dispute.

okay, i am done...until i drink the bong water again, discuss amongst yourselves....

2. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Something at point number two, Arcee is most likely a reference the remote controlled toy cars, not her being controlled, she shows she's independant in the way she interacts with Hot Rod in the 86 movie. Her entire personality is built to be femminane but not submissive or controlled. I don't think its possible that she couldn't be a female, there were others in G1 and clearly acted female like Arcce, I mean Ironhide had a girl, so did Optimus even.

3. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

1) I always liked the idea that the robots don't have an actual gender as much they have looks and personalities that are described by humans as being male/female. As such, the curves, colors, and motherly personality of Arcee would be seen as a 'female' by us, but to other TFs she's just another bot.

2) I would think they'd be more upset by the main fembot being so 'stereotypically girly' and pink and feminine and such then the name.

4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

As a female TF fan I've always had mixed feelings about fembots.

1. On the one hand I love seeing them because it means that an aspiring voiceover artist like me and other female VA's have a chance to do cool TF characters. On the other hand, I really don't see the need for TFs to have genders like humans do. I'd be prefectly fine with female VA's doing a chararcter voice and still having the character be refered to as a "he" or vice versa and for example if Bumblebee got called a "she" though a male VA is used. I guess that's why I thought Cybertron Override was so cool, I didn't care if the character was male or female, just psyched that they let a female VA do the voice. Override's gender didn't matter as far as the way the character acted at all except for a few big sister/little sister altered lines with Lori, because calling the Override a "he" with using a female VA would be considered too confusing for little kids I guess. So yes, I love fembots, but they don't have to be called "female" if that makes any sense.

2. As to Arcee herself, I like the character and the feminist in me is not offended that she's pink or a token female. Just because "sterotypically" pink = girl does not mean pink = weak. Arcee proved her worth as a warrior in the show, she recused Hot Rod at one point in the movie and proved herself to be a useful sharpshooter and medic in season three.

6. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1) I'll go w/ your view on form = 'gender'. It's how I've come to view them, especially since the movie, largely thanks to some of the fanfics out there.

I'll agree w/ Fairlady below -
    2) I have absolutely no problems w/ Arcee's characterization in the 86movie or S3/4. I never read the UK comics w/ her, but I recall I was (and still am) less than impressed w/ the fuss over her - although I find the reason she was created to be humorous. Although I gotta fess - the overall pink.. eh... was quite happy for the fem-nod in this past week's ep of TF:Animated (no further spoilers - and if that was a spoiler, you've either been away from your TV or under a rock - or don't care about TF:A, which is ok too.)

7. acollier

acollier Well-Known Member

I always thought Arcee= ARSEY. But that's just me. Heh heh.

8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my own personal view I've had the whole issue of male and female Transformers worked out long ago. Basically- you have Quintessons building Transformers for organic clients. Clients that have male and female distinctions. So the Quints simply build a sub-line of female-styled robots to appeal to their customers more. Simple. Done. No messing with reproduction or naughty bits or anything. Not so hard now was it? :p 

9. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

To me, both Cybertron Override and BM Strika show me that fembots do not need 'female' bodies to be successful characters. Though I certainly have nothing against curvey robots myself.

And imo, I think the biggest problem with fembots, isn't that they're female, but rather that they lack any real characterization *past* being female.