2 questions on Has/Tak DOTM designs and decisions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Jun 20, 2011.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Just curious if you guys ever thought about it, I have 2 questions or ideas that I have been pondering, didn't want to start 2 threads, so here it is:

1. We see that the DOTM basics are getting repaints. Right now, there is a thunderhead and a sandstorm repaint coming out, and store exclusive also have a backfire repaint (walmart). My question is, why don't they differentiate the repaints by switching their 3mm clip weapons? It would add more variety for sure. For example, Backfire repaint with say, Whirl's clip chainguns instead of his 2 rifles. Or Sandstorm with Backfire's twin rifle, etc? They made that decision for PCC scouts (switching minicons), and they changed the human partner in HA, and they know to change heads for repaints recently, I don't understand why they chose to keep the same 3mm clip weapons.

My personal opinion is that of laziness or they never thought about it. What do you think?

2. Do you think Has/Tak design the concept of the transformers mold themselves first, THEN the gimmick the line is associated with? Or they define the gimmick first, and then start the mold designs based on it? Especially thinking about DOTM. Which do you think is the better design process and why? Design before line definition, or line definition before design?

Examples of line definition:
    Armada - Minicon partners
    Energon - Clear Weapons/Powerlinx
    Cybertron - Cyber keys
    TFTM - Mechalive was it?
    etc etc.

2. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I think Hasbro starts with the robot design and then says "How do we turn this robot into this vehicle?" and designs from there.

3. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

no weapons switch probably due to gang molding, the weapons are on the same molds with the bots they belonged to and they didn't plan to release the repaints in equal number so if they want to swap weapons tons of extra bots and weapons have to be recycled, the deluxe have weapon swaps mostly because the weapons are on separate molds with just other weapons.