2 of 3 New S6 Soldiers (Reviews with Pics)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by misterd, Sep 10, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

KillerToys had these in stock last I checked. Honestly this wave of Soldiers (the cheaper ones, at the $9.99 price point) are not sending waves of excitement through the S6 community. I'm passing up on the new TRat until I see him in person.

The other two figures - Wing Glider Kamakura and Temple Tracker Spirit Iron Knife - are pretty decent. Neither quite fits the GI Joe soldier description, but then designs got pretty far afield back in the 80s too.

Kamakura with wing pack

I really, really like the original KK figure. If not for the sloppy paint apps, I think he'd be the best Soldier so far (yeah, even more than Firefly). I especially love the diversity and versitility of the accessories. I know some take issue with his costume, but to a biologist black and yellow cry out danger, so they work for me.

The new KK keeps the same body and head, including the cloth "tail" to his bandana (which, oddly, remains the same color, so it doesn't quite match). Like Spirit, I think this is a good decision, as the original headsculpt is very well done, with obvious facial features beneath the mask (actually I have issues with the ear and eye sculpts but they're always hidden by goggles, so I can ignore them). Paint apps are a little better this time, but there's still slop here and there.

The body changes colors, though it keeps to the same basic theme. Instead of black with day-glo highlights, it's yellow-orange with black and gray trim. It's different, but not necessarily better (though swapping colors has allowed for a cleaner paint application). If you hated the original, the more subdued yellow may win you over, but I highly recommend seeing him in person first. The best thing about the change in pallet is that it makes the body's paint apps much cleaner, as the yellow is molded plastic, and the paint black and gray. I don't know who Hasbro has been getting their yellow and white paint from the last 18 months, but it really sucks.

In terms of accessories, the numbers got sacrificed for the wing pack, but what's here is mostly well executed.

The wing pack works very nicely. The wings deploy quickly and smoothly, and can be folded up with no hassle. The pack is well designed, with support rods keeping the wings in position, and slots to hold KK's swords. The wing cloth seems a bit cheaper than ususal, but otherwise this is as good as we would be likely to see in a Commando assortment.

Sort-of undocumented feature: At the tip of each wing is a roughly 1 inch silver blade that can swing out to give KK some added offense in flight mode. Though visible in one diagram, it is left out of directions, and I have never seen it in promo pics.

With all the effort put into the wing pack, corners got cut with the remaining accessories. There are two swords and two blade-fans. Neither has any action feature (a good thing to most collectors) and paint apps are nothing special. But then most weapons don't need great apps, and the sculpts are solid enough to make these worthwhile.

While the swords may be stored in the wing pack or pegged into the body holes, the fans can only be held in his hands. Given that mounting pegs would add little, if any, cost to the figure, I can't understand why this feature is not used more universally.

KK suffers from what I consider the most irritating S6 problem - inconsistent hand and handle size. He has trouble holding a tight grip on the weapons in his left hand. He can be posed fine, but they will flop around with play.

Rounding out the rather slight accessory package is an old standby - green goggles. These were a welcome addition to many wave 1 figures, and its nice to see them return.

All in all this figure won't win over those who dislike the first KK, and it's more fantastical design won't appeal to those who like their Joes to be more GI. But for those who have seen the figure and are tempted to pick him up, I would say he's a safe purchase. He won't give you any suprises, but he shouldn't disappoint either. I'd rate him slightly - very slightly- behind TT Spirt, mostly for the weapon holding issue and my love of Spirit's snare and vest.

Grade: B (C if you hated KK v1)

Image Gallery: http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b190/darthkoko/Sigma%20Six%20Kamakura/

[​IMG]

Temple Tracker Spirit Iron Knife
    The worst thing about Temple Tracker Spirit Iron-Knife is his name, a rather lame "homage" to Lara Croft. The figure suprised me by being as good as he is. He is still at the Soldier price, which means some costs were cut. He could have been better in many ways had he been a Commando, but he's not, so he's not, and there's no point bemoaning the fact that it saved me $5.

His body is basically the same as the original SIK down to the "bowstring" hands. This time he's got long sleeves to covering his tats, saving them the cost of more paint app. This is fine for me as I wouldn't have liked the vest with short sleeves. And since the accessories are completely compatable between v1 and TT, they can serve as warm weather/cold weather versions. I would have liked to have some teal on his shoulder pads and gloves, but its far from a deal killer. Overall the deco is not quite as good as the original, but he still pulls off the look just fine.

Spirit's head sculpt looks the same as well, with the same hair, bandana and face paint. This is one of my favorite S6 heads, so I'm happy to see it unchanged.

His "cloth" accessory is a soft plastic vest. It's nicely detailed with sculpted belt, pockets and fringes. Knife sheathes hang down on either side. This is a very cool accessory that almost justifies the purchase on its own.

The knives themselves are new designs, and each one is different in both blade and handle. One has an "o" ring on the handle which helps him hold it securely in the "bowstring" hand. These are pretty wicked looking designs, but still very real and practical, and probably do more for the figure than his two big gimmick weapons.

The crossbow is one of the nicer Soldier action accessories. Not as good as Storm Shadow's, but it blows Firefly's spin trap out of the watter. Techinically it shoots a javelin, not a quarrel, which sort of justifies it's size, but I don't see how that will win over detractors. The bow "string" is incorporated into the launching mechanism, so it appears to fire like a normal crossbow. If I have any one complaint is that it is difficult for Spirit to hold it with both hands.

The capture snare is a delightful suprise. It has a longer reach than I'd expected (about 18 inches), and is much more convincing than Duke1's grappling hook (which -may- have gone six inches), and NinjaBATs arm. The noose is secured using plastic pieces, so there's little fear of it getting knotted, untied or pulled into the device. If anyone is wondering, the rope is rewound by manually turning a knob- there is no auto-winding mechanism. The snare has a clip so it can be held securely on his forearm, precisely the sort of thing JSE needed on his shield.

The last accessory is Spirit's nameless snake (contest anyone?). Sorely lacking in articulation, it's pretty worthless as anything but environmental decor, but for what it is it's okay. It does have a very nice and fairly accurate sculpt. I'm glad to see a toy snake without a permanantly flicking tongue or opened mouth, however it could have benefited from some better paint apps. I'm not sure the golden diamonds and rattle are all that convincing.

In short, TT Spirit is a solid figure, but nearly good enough to replace the original (12 months later still among the best of the line). I'd rate him the best of this wave, though the competition is weak.Not nearly as good as Firefly, Tunnel Rat 1, or Kamakura 1, but a far cry better than the NInjaBAT. I'd put him on par with Night Ops Snake Eyes.

Grade: B

Image gallery: http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b190/darthkoko/Sigma%20Six%20Temple%20Tracker/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

These look good. I am just not sure if I should continue collecting S6 with bunch of other toys taking up my budget. I love Snake Eye so maybe I will get all the new versions and maybe Firefly and Destro but beyond that I am thinking of selling the non SE S6 figs I have and keep my collection small.

3. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'd have a lot of takers over at Joebattlelines.

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, thanks for the pics! I love the ones with Spirit taking town Stormshadow.

5. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Sadly, I had to get out of S6. I had no room or money for more so I just upped and gave them all to my son. He was damn happy to take them all off of my hands, however. Added to his collection.

6. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I like that Spirit. Looks better than the first one.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

As much as I love GI Joe, I still just can't get into Sigma Six. Maybe it's the silly anime look.