2 new shows: Dinosaur Revolution + Planet Dinosaur.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Bumblethumper, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Dinosaur Revolution + Planet Dinosaur. 2 new shows on Discovery and BBC

Two major new dinosaur shows air this September on BBC1 and Discovery Channel. Seems a bit of a coincidence and they'll inevitably draw comparison. Both appear to be a cut above some of the more recent efforts of the past few years.

From Discovery Channel comes Dinosaur Revolution, 4 CG animated one-hour episodes starting Sunday 4th September.

The first trailer:

Dinosaur Revolution | Premieres Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9PM e/p on Discovery* - YouTube

Planet Dinosaur is a BBC production, which much like their earlier Walking With Dinosaurs, comprises of 6 half-hour episodes, starting 14th September. It will be followed up by a one-hour 3D special in the new year.

Some leaked footage:
    Planet Dinosaur - YouTube

In a further coincidence(?), the Spielberg-produced dinosaur sci-fi series Terra Nova starts September 26th.

2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Dinosaur Revolution - Dancing dinosaurs?
    Planet Dinosaur - "Nobody has ever heard of Spinosaurus!"

Well, lousy first impressions. Let's hope it's far better than that.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

isn't there also one coming on fox?

4. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    yeah, Terra Nova. I only mentioned that briefly as there's another thread on it in the forum. It's a different sort of show, but just the same, 3 high-profile dinosaur shows in one month is worthy of note.

Terra Nova - Trailer (Promo) - YouTube

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

oh wow terra nova sounds a lot like... AVATAR :lol 

6. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    New trailer for the BBC's Planet Dinosaur:

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Planet Dinosaur, Planet Dinosaur

The theme sounds appropriately heavy, and I'm particularly impressed with their horned Chasmosaurus.

There's also nice touches like a scavenging feathersaurus swiping a morsel beneath the ankles of a much larger predator.

And watch the clip closely for a brief JP3-esque glimpse of Spinosaurus v Carcharodontosaurus. Yep, apparently they're going there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They also have summaries up for the 6 episodes.
    BBC - BBC One Programmes - Planet Dinosaur

7. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    The first of these should be airing tomorrow Sunday 9pm e/p on Discovery in the US.

Came across this story pitch for Dinosaur Revolution. The tone of this show appears different from previous efforts in that they're approaching it much like if it were a cartoon.

Dinosaur Revolution - Dinosaur Story Pitch - YouTube

They even mentioned basing one segment after an old Looney Tunes short.
    This should make a contrast with the more sombre BBC approach. The other difference is that the BBC show is going all-digital for the background environments, whereas Discovery used real filmed locations.

The stories look to be well told, with comic timing and wait-for-it punchlines. But despite this their dinosaurs are by far the most accurate, well ever. This is because David Krentz did the models.

8. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Oh Dear God no

9. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    well hey, if it really sucks, you can always y'know, change the channel.

... look, I'm aware that Discovery don't exactly have a great track record with this stuff. Actually their last few dino shows were utterly woeful. An insult to art and science.

But the people behind this show are of a much better pedigree. Ricardo Delgado did Age of Reptiles, and David Krentz well, there's no one better. Discovery may still find a way to screw it up, but with the calibre of people involved in this, I'm sure there'll still be enough there for it to be worth checking out if you have an interest.

The T.rex is easily the best since Jurassic Park, and certainly the most accurate.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zE17q7x5v...g/XKDca-IQbFc/s1600/dinosaur-revolution_1.jpg

10. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    The final 2 episodes of Dinosaur Revolution are showing tonight at 9PM on The Science Channel in the US.

They were supposed to air on Discovery on Sunday, but apparently they got bumped because of September 11th sensitivity(really you'd think they'd have figured that out ahead of time).

I managed to watch the first 2 episodes(unfortunately not on TV), and there's some pretty cool stuff in them. The Allosaurus episode was particularly good. This was the European Allosaurus recently found in Portugal, so the Jurassic fauna were similar but slightly different from their better-known American counterparts.

Planet Dinosaur starts tomorrow in the UK on BBC1 8.30 PM.

11. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Watched some of Revolution and I didn't like it very much. Here's hoping Planet is better.

12. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I liked Revolution. I don't see why everybody was complaining "OMG SLAPSTICK HUMOR NOO!" like they thought it was gonna be an episode of Tom&Jerry. It was done right and realistically. Has nobody watched a documentary of animals in the wild doing something that would get a chuckle out of us? Doesn't seem different at all IMO.

I like that they're introducing dinosaurs who aren't well known like Gigantoraptor and Torvosaurus. Torvosaurus is one of my favorite Jurassic theropods too.

Planet Dinosaur looks fucking awesome.
    Oooh man. DAT SPINO <3 :D 
    I can't wait to see that fight between him and Carcharodontosaurus. Can't believe I've never thought of them duking it out before even though I knew they thrived in the same time period and region.

Looks like I have something to draw no too *Goes and grabs sketchpad*

13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
  14. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

When you think about it, alot of animals in the animal kingdom have unique markings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's hard to say what color they were on the outside, so I don't mind some creativity thrown in. :D 
    When you think about it, a face colored like a skull makes evolutionary sense. It's frightening, intimidating, it's like a sign above the animal that says "Warning: Do not fuck with". It'd sure cause any other animal it came across to run like Hell.

Plus, it's just so bad ass. Why, Nature? Why'd you kill off my precious dinosaurs? :cry 

15. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i love revolution!

16. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Planet Dinosaur starts tonight, I LOVED Walking with Dinosaurs, which was a previous dinosaur documentry on BBC, so i'm hoping that this is similar, and it's narrated by John Hurt, which is bloody awesome

17. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    I don't mind slapstick so long as the dinosaurs themselves are accurate. Behaviour is mostly speculative anyway. Might as well have some fun with them. The only thing that kinda bothered me is how Discovery tend to hype things with their 'revolution' theme where 'everything we thought we knew was wrong'. A lot of this stuff was known for more than the past 30 years, it just took a while for 50s-style dinosaurs to fade away.

Torvosaurus is awesome. The european fossils were roughly T.rex size. But it's more primitive and presumably Allosaurus had a competitive edge. Megalosaurs were old-school. I liked how they showed the carnivore hierarchy in that episode. Would've been nice if they'd had the budget to include Ceratosaurus as well.

indeed. :bowdown: 

18. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Just watched Planet Dinosaur, it was great, I liked how they actually showed new information about the dinosaurs and evidence of how they hunted, but I can the frequent interruptions of the action to tell us stuff annoying some people, particularly fans of Walking with Dinosaurs, where it was just action (as much as I like the information, it did start to grate on me a bit when the Spinosaurus was doing something, then it'd suddenly cut out to tell us something).
    also,
    the fight between Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus wasn't particluarly impressive, it was pretty short and neither of them killed one another, they just bit and scratched one another

19. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    CGSociety have a piece about the animation of the show. There's some clear stills of the dinosaurs, and a nice detailed Spinosaurus render.

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/planet_dinosaur

I'd agree with that assessment. They did an excellent job of presenting pretty much everything we know about Spinosaurs, but it did tend to interupt the flow of the episode. The diagramatic visualisations were very well done showing the fragmentary nature of the actual fossils, and where they represent in the overall skeleton.

I was somewhat disappointed with the actual dinosaur graphics. They use a muddier colour palette, not as colourful as Dinosaur Revolution. Although the dinosaurs themselves are in many ways more detailed and accurately modelled than those of Walking with Dinosaurs, the way they were presented didn't feel quite as naturalistic.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I agree the edutainment does break the tention to much it's much better played straight as natural history then perhaps with a Supersense style show for each episode to back it up with interviews and science stuff on BBC4 or BBC 3.

Much how Doctor Who is Supported by Confidential - that way ou get a purer show and also the explanations of why they chose those scenes - it would also compensate for the 30 minute shows being a bit short too.