2 major things that reviewers do that drive me nuts

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by gnp1, Dec 29, 2011.

1. gnp1

gnp1 Active Member

Ok lets start with the why does everyone bash the crap out of Bay for how bad the movies are? Why aren't we bashing the writers of the movie? I don't know how true it is but didn't the writers say that they had very little knowledge of Transformers to start with? I have to think Bay and the writers did something right with part 3 it made over a billion dollars. And the movies have to deal with everyone not just the few thousands of fans on message boards(if its not G1 it sucks man) ugh.

On a side note the new Star Trek with the same writers was ok not great but ok.
    The movie was almost imposable to watch with every dam shot with lens flares in it. JJ Abrams did this crap in super 8 too. To me it was like some kid found a new tool to play with in iMovie.

Two I don't get why the Twins are racist. When I was back in high school in 91-94 all walks of people talked like that. In my school it was 60% or so black,30% or so white and the rest asian,latin,other. Truth was lots of white and asian kids talked like the twins. My summer job was working in a manufacturing plant for my dad. The crew of over 500 workers was over 80% black and latin workers.I heard that way of taking all the time from all groups.

Maybe its me and how it was no big deal to me from hearing it from school and work for years. I don't know. I don't see how talking like that makes it racist when all groups I know talked like that.

2. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

The main thing that bugged me about the criticisms for DOTM was the fact that most critics prejudged the movie and they knew they were going to hate it only because they didn't like ROTF. While I loved ROTF, I understand why critics didn't like it and why I rarely listen to them when it comes to movies like this. It makes me mad though when a bad sequel gets released and all of a sudden the critics hate any sequel made after that.

3. gnp1

gnp1 Active Member

Not only that once they hear Bay its a crap movie. It Bay was such a bad director how does he keep getting work? Why would Spielberg and James Cameron back this guy and help with 3D work if he sucked that bad?

4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    While there's certainly valid criticism of his work out there, it's ridiculous that the blame for practically EVERYTHING is placed squarely on his shoulders so frequently.

Likewise, whenever valuable insight about anything deeper or more subtle than a flashy explosion is offered, the same blind hatred kicks in and people immediately start selling him short and dismissing it with comments like, "Bay's not smart enough to do that."

As if he's the ONLY person working on these movies and he CAN'T afford to surround himself with top-tier professionals.

Preposterous.

:-\

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

What bugs me the most is how, sometimes, reviewers just plain ignore what's on the screen.

For example, you will often hear people saying "It is a classic blockbuster movie: No story, all action." What the--no story? Where the flying hell have you been the last four hours? I mean, half of the movie is a remarkably elaborated plot about Cold War and Decepticon Alliances within the government, hell, you have to watch three times to understand it fully.

It would be a stupidly boring move if you just ignored all the story there, there are only two action scenes [one being thirty-seconds long] in that half of the movie, you'll be bored by one hour.

Even in the first and the second I wouldn't say there's no story, both movies constantly throw background info to enrich the story.

Then there's the whole plothole problem, people often scream "PLOTHOLE!" at something that ISN'T a plothole [do you have any idea of how many people I've seen questioning how Optimus and crew survived Xanthim? y'know, when they explicetly say how fifteen minutes later?].

AND THEN there's the predictable movie thing..Oh yes, I'm sure you all predicted Leonard Nimoy's softspoken character would turn out to be the main villain, you could seen it from the poster, right?

6. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
  7. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because he's an extremely efficient and profitable director. He rarely suffers delays, completes filming on budget and more often than not, turns in a profit. That doesn't mean his films are any good though.

Personally, I think his movies are rubbish, but that doesn't change the fact that if I was a rights holder looking to make a movie, Bay would be one of my top picks for director.

8. gnp1

gnp1 Active Member

The thing is is he great? No. Is he that bad? No.
    Is JJ Abrams great and can do no wrong.Nope over hyped. Star Trek was unwatchable with every damn shot with so much lens flares going on it looks like some 10 year old with iMovies did it. He did that crap in Super 8 too.

But to smash a movie because Bay did it with out seeing it is mind boggling.

Edit:Because he's an extremely efficient and profitable director.
    So the guy is doing something right then. You don't give a crap guy $150 million and hope for the best.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I've been bashing the writers from day one. They, a bunch of yahoos with no prior experience penning TF tales, got picked to script our long-awaited live-action TF treatment instead of veteran TF writers like Furman. Yeah, I mad.

In the final analysis, though, Bay gets flak from me as well because, being the director, every decision his crew makes (including the aforementioned piss-poor writing) has to receive his final approval.

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Natcht, we've been through this, Furman is not a scriptwriter, he's a COMIC BOOK WRITER.

Entirely. Different. Things.

It's like getting a Sniper to be a medic just because both ranks are on the military.

11. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:

EXACTLY.

Yeah, because Hasbro, Spielberg, the rest of the producers, the auto manufacturers, etc. all have NO SAY WHATSOEVER in that stuff above and beyond what Michael Bay himself wants.

Oh, wait...

-_-

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    We've been through this before, yeah. I've also previously pointed out that the often cinematic nature of comic books doesn't rule out Furman's worth as a writer for movies. But to compromise, and avoid retreading old ground, I still think Bay and company ought to have at least brought him on board as a creative consultant. There's no indication that they so much as approached Furman, and Furman's comments on the films bear this out.

They probably don't care, as long as they get their paychecks.

13. gnp1

gnp1 Active Member

The auto manufactures really don't have a say on the writing. Yes or No you can use our cars. VW was asked to have some cars.They said no they don't want to be in a war movie. You know they had that little problem in the 30's-40's they would really like to forget about.

14. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    ORLY?!?

Ferrari forced the name-change from Mirage to Dino AND made them kill Que instead of Dino during the hostage-execution scene.

Sorry, try again.

:p 

15. gnp1

gnp1 Active Member

Thats so small and nit picky. I'm talking about really big stuff.Not a name change and don't kill the $300,000 car. And you know what I'm talking about :p  hugs

16. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^
    Whether the individual car manufacturers have any creative control or not depends on their specific licensing agreements with The relevant parties.

17. gnp1

gnp1 Active Member

^ true and if Ferrari were big dicks about things everyone could of to them to get bent. That car was not a make it or brake it thing. OH no no Ferrari what are we going to do? Lots of other high end car MFG out there.

Input yes , major nope.

18. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    "Nitpicky"...?

You said what you said.

Words mean things or they don't.

Yup, that's still completely wrong.

Phfft.

Telling the filmmakers to change a MAJOR scene and to switch who lives and dies LONG after they've finished filming all the vehicle footage and WELL beyond the pre-vis stage of the special effects is suddenly no big deal?

And no one had to rewrite what happened there to accommodate them?

o_O 

Okay, man...w/e.

19. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Like gnp1 said, Bay has the power to tell Ferrari to get bent. There are tons of other car companies out there. Bay lets them have power. Also, Que was always going to die.

20. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Well for the blaming Bay part, I think it's a combination of just hating him and he sticks is name on the films more than anyone else.