2 Different Versions of Binaltech/Alternators Prowl?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Duximus Prime, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    I was looking at the Seibertron galleries recently at BT/Alt Prowl, and came across a discrepancy in the pictures. He is first pictured as having his hood vertical (IE: flush with his body) in robot mode. But then later, he is shown as having a horizontal hood for a chest.

I'd like to pick up BT Prowl, but I think the horizontal hood is much more aesthetically pleasing, not to mention more G1-accurate. What's the deal?

2. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    actually the binaltech/alternator prowl has the vertical style and is really g1 styled to red alert. Ironically, the binaltech only red alert is styled like the g1 prowl with the horizontal style hood. Lots of people, including me have bought both, done a head swap and then painted or looked to reprolabels.com for stickers to make them g1 correct. I agree it's better and takara/hasbro just really screwed the pooch on that one.

3. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Horizontal hood version is a kitbash. The closest thing to that deco that is a real Hasbro/Takara product is Binaltech Asterisk Red Alert:

Red Alert (G1) - Transformers Wiki

4. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Just go back a few pictures in that gallery and you'll see that it's a headswap from BT Prowl's head to a BTA Red Alert body:
    Prowl - Toy Gallery - Photo #122
    Prowl - Toy Gallery - Photo #123

The only official version of BT/Alt Prowl is the Honda Integra mold.
    That being said, there are many Prowl kitbashes around using the Subaru mold, since it has the more G1 accurate hood in robot mode.

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

If you can get hold of a Prowl head, then swap it on to Alert's body, make sure to pick up a set of Reprolabels' conversion kit to complete the transformation.

You end up with a far more G1-faithful Prowl than the out-of-the-box offerings. Especially if you can track down some of the aftermarket shoulder launchers.

6. Laulau

Laulau Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry to bring back an ooooold thread but I have a question about that head swap between Alt Prowl and Red Alert.
    The swap is indeed easy, but now, I just can't transform my Prowl (Subaru body) back to alt mode. The Prowl head doesn't fit.
    There a simple solution I ignore or everybody just seems to be cool with a transformer that can't transform anymore ?

7. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    You sure it's fitted correctly? My old Alt Prowl Subaru could transform fine.

8. Laulau

Laulau Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, the problem I have is with the Prowl head from the Honda Integra mold implanted on the Subaru Impreza body (red Alert).
    There is just no room enought behind the head in car mode for it to fit in. It'd require some cutting but before to do it, I want to know how other did it. I just can't beleive everybody could be okay with a non transforming Alt Prowl.

9. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

The Prowl of my dreams | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Alt Ricochet's head is a better fit to turn Asterisk Alert into Prowl. IF I were still into Alts, that's how I'd do it.

11. Laulau

Laulau Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well... I know the original head mold is better. Obviously. But even in white (I discolored the red alert one), I felt the Prowl head was better.
    I heard it was easy to do and all, but I'm surprise to see all the people saying that just don't care about their robot to still transform. Even the subaru head on the Honda body doesn't fit and I have to remove the engine to keep all off the ground in alt mode.
    Now, Seali_me, do you know if this guy give some indication on how to modify the head ?

The image is the head swaps I did to create Prowl (center), a version of the honda without police elements (left) and a robot still to be named that will have this alt mode (right) [​IMG] .

Is there a better place than here to ask this type of question ? I have the feeling that the radicon board is just to show your work. Not to ask questions like this.

Attached Files:

12. seali_me

I have to check with my collection. I don't have Red alert but I have the other Subaru cars and two prowls.

I was digging through mods but only found the one I already linked.

I'm pretty sure Superquad7 will be able to help you on this one. :) 

13. seali_me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd go with what TB said. :) 

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Honestly, I've wondered this myself as this has been my experience:

I'm interested in what others have done as well. I also am not okay with Alternators/Binaltechs that don't transform.

15. Laulau

Laulau Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    WOW ! Interesting pictures.
    He did nothing to the head, the ball joint placement or the dashboard ? Because on mine, the direction-axe the head is implanted on can't go back into place as the back of the head bump into the back of the dashboard. And I can't change the head direction up and down. It only goes right and left with the balljoint socket being so deep.
    I'll have to study those picts close with mine in hands.
    I'll do a little drawing tomorow to make my statement clearer.
    If there is other pictures, feel free to share them.
    Thanks anyway.