1up.com feature on the history of Transformers video games

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by KidDynamite, Jul 4, 2007.

1. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3160736

1up.com has done a feature on the history of Transformers games dating back to the Commodore 64 days and going up the the present day. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that the article is mostly negative with the exception of the Armada PS2 game, but there's some interesting info to be had here on canceled titles as well as all the Japanese only games.

2. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

i had no idea there were C64 games made or that second NES game. there's no rom for it. he didn't mention the gameboy beast wars game which wasn't that horrible. i shall have to check out the C64 games.

3. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Heh, Ironically I just got through playing a level or two of the Armada game on my PS 2. God that game is still beautiful.

4. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ha, I actually had the Ocean game on my Commodore 64 as a kid. It really was rubbish too!

Steve.

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I had both the C64 games the first one just made no sense and didn't ever seem to have an end. The second was just way to hard. The GIJoe game on C64 was quite fun though.

6. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

There's a ROM of it, it's just really hard to find. IIRC, it was only released on the Famicom Disk System, which explains its rarity. Don't worry, though, you're not missing anything special. At all. Seriously, it makes Mystery of Convoy look like Super Mario 3.

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I remember seeing the Comadore 64 version for sale in the 80s (the movie one). Don't know why I never got it. Maybe it was because it was too expensive or something. The scarry thing is I still have a Comadore 64 in my basement that I can still play games on (like Ms. Pac Man, G.I. Joe, and Ducktales). I've also played the first BW game (found a copy at BotCon for $10 a few years ago.) It's not bad but it's kind of boring and doesn't have the cartoon voice talent. I'm just starting to make my way through the new PC 2007 movie game (now that I've actually seen the movie).

8. TheNexusRebound

TheNexusRebound Active Member

I wish with some refinement there could be a game on the next gen consoles like Transformers: Tatakai. That would be freaking sweet!

9. Noble Maximus

Noble Maximus Member

It's a shame they didn't mention the Beast Wars 2 fighting game for the Game Boy. I know for a fact that it has been emulated and it's actually pretty fun. You choose Cybertron or Destrons and battle Street Fighter style with your robot/animal modes activating seperate special moves and super moves. If I remember correctly you can even play as the boss monkey himself Optimus Primal.

10. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The Beast Wars 2 fighting game was awesome! I uploaded it to my school's computer and played it in class.

11. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

What do you reckon would be a way to improve the movie games by the way?

12. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Agreed, Tatakai was a lot of fun, especially unlocking other TF's and then playing with them. Shame the Dinobots weren't available. With Blue-Ray technology you should be able to have every TF from G1 in an Armada style environment. That'd be the ultimate TF game in my book, with second place going to a TF infiltration game like Metal Gear but with Bumblebee invading a Decepticon stronghold...

13. Noble Maximus

Noble Maximus Member

I think a Smash Brothers style game featuring only TFs would be unbelievable. Transformations probably wouldn't be too necessary, but I'm sure they could be worked in in some form or fashion anyway.

14. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

i've got the entire goodroms collection of 10,000+ nes roms including mystery of convoy and headmaster is not in there. have you personally played the rom?

15. Autobot_Goldbug

Autobot_Goldbug The REAL Goldbug

News Credits:
    Then they wouldn't be TRANSFORMERS! :rolleyes2 

I've played the C64 games. I have the Beast Wars game too.
    Nothing on the new Transformer game mentioned? Is the PC version a Targetâ„¢ exclusive? That is the only place I saw advertised it for $20.

16. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    i tried very had to talk hasbros marketing people to get them to release that here but they said they dident do tf games. dont forget atari had an energon game ready to go before hasbro cut ties. how hard would it be for activision buy it and release it?

17. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

It was several years ago, but yeah, I played it. I want to say I got it off of a UseNet binaries group, but I'm not entirely sure. All I remember is that the first level is Chromedome in vehicle mode (and only vehicle mode) getting the crap kicked out of him by flying enemies. I deleted it after about ten minutes, not realizing it was so rare :banghead: 

18. TheNexusRebound

TheNexusRebound Active Member

This true but still it would be cool to a have a G1 game for the new systems. I mean with the comics being rereleased it would make sense. I guess we will have to wait and see.

19. Bloodcat

Bloodcat Well-Known Member

Honestly just give me Super Robot Taisen with Transformers.
    PLEASE.
    It might not fit the current action only fratboy gaming paradigm that seems to infest videogames, but us nerds would go gaga over it. (And it would make it the 4th SRW style game in the US, with Zone of the Enders GBA & the 2 SRT OG GBA games being the other 3.)

IIRC, the Tataki developers also did some of the SRT games.

Just call it Transformers Tactics and watch us nerds flock to it!

Of course even Square can't get people to buy Front Mission games in English, so I am just dreaming.

Hell, we can hardly get RPGs that aren't action or RTS based anymore. Especially ones that aren't anime in nature..

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There is one, kind of. That TV Dreammix Fighters game they mentioned. Picture G1 Prime and Megatron duking it out with simon belmont and solid snake, while devastator looks on in the background. Sounds pretty freaking cool, no?

Average gameplay my butt. Its wicked fun in multiplayer, because the tide of battle can shift really quickly.