Minor/Repaint: 1ST Kitbash/Repaint Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Darkhawk79, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First let me say that i know that a million people have already done this kitbash but it's cheaper then trying to buy one off of ebay....plus looking at all the cool stuff everyone does on here i'm sure i could get some good hints from ya'll

I am trying to get the front tires off of a G1 Optimus but not having any luck. I tried the nail and hammer thing and it didn't work and i was afraid i would damage the figure if i contiuned.

If any one has any hints or can help me with this the help would be greatly appreciated.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
  3. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Darn no pics....
    Just keep unscrewing and you'll get it :D 

4. Darkhawk79

News Credits:
    Just started taking it apart over the weekend and there will pics once i get it painted and together. Wish me luck

5. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do wish you the best of luck!
    Plus doing prime as your first is a great idea, you can always get help from nearly any Kitbasher in the world as most of them have given this a go.

:thumb :

6. Darkhawk79

News Credits:
    Help!!!

Well i gave this method a go and succeded in melting the rims and just plaing screwing it up. I have many Primes that i can use so if anyone knows of another way or can tell me where i screwed up the help would be greatly appreciated.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Id give that Soldering Iron method another try.
    Im no pro and it has always been the easiest way for me to get those pins out.

Sometimes I just hold it on long enough for the pin to get warm, but not hot, so nothing melts or warps. A few taps here and there and the other side will be out enough to pull out with plyers

You'll get it, dont let that first time scare ya off. We all mess up sometimes.

Another way would be to just constantly tap it with a hammer over and over and over until you have some movement. It took me forever to get the pins out of Ransack that way. The iron is soo much easier but may take a little practice at first to get your finesse.

Those first projects are like missions. Screwed a bot or 2 up myself in the beginning, but the mile is worth it.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've not melted anything really so far... my first time, it KINDA did, but just barely, not enough to be visible once it was painted.. I don't have a soldering iron so I used my wood burner. the trick really is to warm it up a short bit, then try to pull the part off. If it doesn't budge, go a little longer. once you've done it this way a few times, you'll get a good feel for how long it takes to get the right temperature.