1st I'm A Newbie, I Like The G1 Series, Have A Cpl Of Gripes, Let Me Know

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Old School 75, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Old School 75

Old School 75 80s Baby!

First off hello to everyone here. I like to original toys back from the 80s. I collected more of Master of the Universe, Thundercats and Transformers. The other day I was watching the G1 cartoons and enjoyed them. Then I put of the Transformers the Movie. I never went to see at the show and rented it some time later. To this day I'm very dissapointed to see that the Autobots got destroyed by one shot in the movie. During the cartoons they fought, got shot and were injured, then the movie came out and almost all the original Autobots were taken out in the beginning. Sorry they messed up, let me know what you all think, thanks out here in New Mexico, hasta

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The movie was just one big fight scene, and an excuse to kill off the old guys in order to put new toys on the shelf. I enjoy watching the Movie and Season 3, but the first two seasons will always be definitive Transformers to me.

Welcome to the boards btw!

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Welcome to the boards! Yep, discussion still continues over things like Brawn dying due to a shoulder shot. Pre-Movie is still my favorite part of G1. Season 3 had a much darker tone, and with most of the established characters MIA, IMHO most of the fan base moved on leading to the end of G1. The Return of Optimus Prime was a little too late to make any difference. At least G1 contiuned in Japan with some really good series.

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you think about it, Megatron's cannon barrel is about as wide as Brawn's head. So a shot like that could essentially blow his arm off and kill him from fluid loss. (assuming some human anatomy parallels)

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of the movie's writers at Botcon '04 talked about how he wanted to have a "charge of the light brigade" with the '85 Product Line being shot down, and the '86 Product Line surviving.

His choice of words. :D  Both hilarious and explanatory.

And Brawn lives. >.> I have a lengthy theory.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It kinda bothers me the extent to which the G1 movie was a hge commercial for the new toys. I mean the show was as well but it did a good job of hiding the fact sometimes. The movie basically got rid of the original cast in the most traumatic way possible, and introduced a bunch of new guys who you didn't know and pretty much immediatly disliked because they replaced your old favourites.
    I like the Movie for what it is, though. But as I've gotten older I've become more aware of some of its shortcomings.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I've felt this way also in recent years considering the throne that I've always held the movie on.

8. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Its called "Out with the old, in with the new". They had to clear out some old stock.

9. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    As I've stated previously, Killing off most of the Season 1 + 2 Cast in the first 20 minutes or so of the movie, that didnt bother me. I liked some of the new Characters, Galvatron, Ultra Magnus.....O.k, so Galvatron and Ultra Magnus.

Some of the cast Like Thundercracker, Skywarp + the Insecticons I was ticked that they killed off. But the Insecticons always popped up in Season 3.

10. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Personally, I like the fact that a lot of favourite characters were killed off... It was a shock, after the casualty-less first two seasons, and I thought it gave a more realistic edge to a massive battle. Kind of like the first half an hour of Saving Private Ryan. But with robots. And as a cartoon.
    I'd have preferred the first couple of seasons if the odd character got totalled, but I guess they couldn't do that. At least in Beast Wars a few characters died along the way (and nearly all of the bad guys at the end).
    Doesn't make much sense for a huge war to not hurt anyone...

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I remember being pretty shocked when a lot of my favorite G1 characters were biting the dust. I kept thinking, "They'll be back next episode...right?"

When the 3rd season previews started at the end of season 2, it was hard to try and figure out who all these new amazing characters were, but...I dunno, I've always thought the jump from '85 to 2006 in the original series was odd.