1993 UK Hamleys Fort Max competition Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Gingerchris, Jul 23, 2012.

?

Hamleys Fort Max Competiton:

1. Saw it in-store and entered it

100.0%
  2. Saw it in-store and didn't enter it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've just submitted scans of the old UK Hamleys Fort Max competition entry form to TFW Resources:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tfw20...rt-max-g1-hamleys-competition-slip-scans.html

but I was wondering who here actually entered it. And perhaps if the winner is a member here they'd like to step forwards and describe how it felt when they got that big box with what was at the time a very exclusive figure in the UK. Was there more than one Fort Max to be won? The entry form mentions 'winners' but no other prizes are listed.
    Maybe someone here that worked at Hamleys during this time has memories of the competition. I'm guessing Hamleys store staff weren't allowed to enter, although the form doesn't specifically state that (unless that's what they meant by 'agencies'). As a TF fan did that make you full of sorrow? Or did you just get a mate to enter for you? :p 

I entered. How could I miss the chance, no matter how small, to own Fort Max? I even tried to buy the display figure.

I did consider putting this in the UK TF Discussion thread but that's more for new stuff and I didn't want to get lost in the shuffle. I don't go into the UK TF Discussion thread myself and maybe some other UKers might not either and could miss my question about an old specific subject. Mods move it though if you think it needs to be.

2. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    never saw it, never entered it.. where's that option?

3. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Slightly OT, but at least a few Toymaster branches had a colouring competition to win a Fotrress Maximus in summer 1989.

(was def summer 1989)

,,and no, didn't win. The winning entry was an eyesore.

probably in the same place as the didn't read the title properly option.

4. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Interesting. I'm not sure if we had a Toymaster in my neck of the woods at that time otherwise I'd have definitely seen the TF competition and entered if there had been one here (well, 'there' since I've now moved area).
    Now I wanna know if there were any other places that offered Maxie in a competiton in the UK.

Aren't they always? There's always an element of 'That crap won??! Mine was hundreds of times better!' when it comes to colouring competitions. :p 

5. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

Cheeky bastard! I did the winning entry and it was amazing!!

Seriously though, I remember going in for the Toymaster competition too, although I don't remember FM being the 1st prize. Wasn't Scorponok, was it?

6. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    :D 

Was definitely Fort Max in my local one anyway. They had it sitting in the window for a good month.

7. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the problem with questions like this is that it relates to just a portion of the fanbase...alot of people will say no just because they don't live in a country that have/had these stores.

8. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    That's why I specified 'UK' in the thread title and then repeated it again in the first line of my first post. The poll options even both say 'in-store' so not having these stores in their country means they couldn't vote for either option anyway. The only way people could be confused is if they can't read.

Mentions of other UK stores where a Fort Max competition was held is just a side-effect of the topic.

Or are you suggesting that anything UK-related should be shoved away in a single thread and the rest of the forums left for 'proper' TF threads that aren't only for a 'portion' of the fanbase? TFW is for all involved countries, not just one. If people from other countries want to contribute in this thread in some way I don't have a problem with that.

9. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    ^ Bit late now, but you could have just put it directly into the UK discussion thread, the rest of us have no idea what this is.

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I decided not to do that because the UK TF Discussion thread doesn't really work for what I was wanting to do, which was to cover something specific from around twenty years ago and it would quickly get lost in the fast-moving general TF chat of that thread.

But fuck it, I'll ask to have it moved and be done with it since anything UK-related must apparently be confined to a single thread at TFW.

11. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

I'm with Gingerchris. If you can't read the thread title or understand the post, then the problem is yours, not Gingerchris's.

I read the thread hoping to see that some member of TFW did win. I wouldn't have bothered going into the UK thread.

12. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I love threads like this. I always find it fun to hear about what kinds of G1 contests there were back in the day, regardless of country.