1992 European Yellow Constructicons Variant...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sidecutter, May 10, 2012.

1. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, recently I was able to acquire some factory sealed cases of the 1992 yellow G1 Constructicons from Europe for stock. These are the ones that are unique for not coming with the combiner parts, and for having the grey parts and yellow color, despite being G1 figures. These are also the ones that were used for the Hasbro G2 Constructicon package photos a couple years later.

Now, I've owned three of the four of these that had grey parts for a few years as a curiosity. And I've seen them "in the wild" now and then fairly often, if not constantly. And every example I have EVER seen has had the grey parts on Scavenger (shovel arm), Scrapper (roof), Bonecrusher (roof), and Hook (hook section of the crane arm).

However tonight, I decided to open the shipping box they were packed into, and crack a case to take a few photos for the store's facebook page, because I feel like this kind of warehouse find stuff is really neat to see and share when it shows up. Lo and behold, as I posted the pic of an opened case, I noticed something was odd. Scrapper and Hook had their grey parts, but Scavenger and Bonecrusher did not! Those parts were replaced by yellow, just like the US releases! It also looks like (I need to go properly compare, side by side) the color of purple on Scavenger and Bonecrusher is also different compared to the norm - it is lighter.

So, comparison photos below, and a question... Has anyone ever seen this before?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, there are three (that I know of) variants (including package variants) out there:

1. Yellow and Grey - positioned on card as if they were laid down on their wheels/treads

2. Yellow and Grey - positioned on card as if they were laid down on their sides (like those you described/pictured above)

3. Yellow - positioned on card as if they were laid down on their sides

I would assume the grey set was first, with the yellow set coming later, closer to the transition to the G2 set we got here in the States.

Good price on that those, by the way...very tempting, even though I have already have a loose set. :) 

MIKE
    engledogg

3. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting. I had never encountered this variant or the "wheels to the card" variant in the wild. While these aren't common I have seen them several times over the years, always in the grey variant shown here.

I find the yellow variant here especially odd since the Hook and Scrapper in those versions keep their grey parts, and the purple color of the other four doesn't change either.

4. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Ah...the memories...my G1 Devastator was a mix of four G1 members, a G2 Scrapper and a knock off Hook. Which had no peg for the chest shield.

I do remember seeing the single yellow ones in stores when I was young.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I used to have that Mixmaster.

7. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    I have those too! :D 
    I'm gonna have to wait for the Encore 20A with accurate cartoon head and combiner parts to see how awesome those will look with them on!