1986 movie question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Jun 12, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So I was watching the old G1 movie and noticed something. The Autobot city has dozens, maybe more of guns of several calibers with multiple gun emplacements. The Decetipcon force was very small not reaching 20 transformers max, so, how could they overrun the defense system with loads of guns? Devastator alone could not do it.

2. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I always thought the guns were for long range combat, thus the Decepticons managed to sneak inside the range using the Autobot shuttle making them more or less redundant. Just my opinion.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, that, and the fact that they had the element of surprised + Devastator.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Exactly. Once the Decepticons got within a close enough range, it was all down to hand-to-hand or close range weapons combat. You can even see in that one scene where one of Autobot city's cannons is searching to lock onto a target when devastator just comes along and crushes it with his fist like a water balloon.

Add the element of surprise into the mix and how ruthless Megatron was and the odds were stacked heavily in the decepticons' favour. Until Mr Prime arrived that is...

5. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always figured that once the decepticons got inside, more arrived. Consider that they were fighting all night, it's a reasonable assumption.

6. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Also autobot city seemed to be under construction. I always thought it wasn't finished, therefore undermaned. Also, if Kup and Hot Rod were cut off outside the city there were probably others that never made it in to help the defense effort.

7. Dark Hayabusa

Dark Hayabusa Well-Known Member

And there's "all we need is a little energon and a lot of luck" line. With the contruction of autobot city, maybe resources were stretched thin, hence why Optimus was reluctant to have an all out battle

8. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I think that it also helps to remember that the Decepticons were built for combat. So they very well may have taken out many of the defenses. After all, we saw the Insecticons and Devestator break though.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Actually not counting the combined form of the Constructicons and possible insecticon clones,the Decepticon force numbered at 25.

10. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There is allot more to the story regarding the city in the script/storyboards

The city was supposed to be a giant "green" power generating city - You can still see hints of this with the dam Prime drives over
    Hence destroying this would have ended the war as it was the Autobots prime energy production facility

It wasn't meant to be so heavily armed, more power station than battle station

Hitch

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    This is generally what I always thought too. But then that would've also meant that a lot of Decepticons got left behind at the city since Astrotrain only had a limited capacity for escaping passengers.