1986 movie, did smokescreen die?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SideSwipe82, May 26, 2008.

1. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

was he just not there? but i don't think i've seen him anywhere in S3. Can someone explain? thanks

2. on_a_warpath

on_a_warpath OAW 2010

He was probably out gambling.

3. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I think he was shown for a brief quick glance cameo (like a Skids type moment) in season 3 in a crowd of Autobots. But it was only for a micro second and obviously had nothing to do with the scene other than to be an extra or "body filler". That's just going by memory so I could be wrong.

But to answer the question, no he didn't die. He just wasn't used. He was a 1985 toy and it was 1986-1987 so they just never included him. New characters needed to be sold so those were the ones getting the attention, with exception to regular best sellers like Grimlock, Soundwave, Blaster and (dare I say?) Perceptor and the cassettes.

4. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

:lol 

5. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In the original storyboards, it was Smokescreen's dead body shown in one scene instead of Wheeljack's. In the final film, Smokey does not appear and no explanation is ever given as to what happened to him.

:lolol 

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Ironically, he choked to death on the smoke from the fires that resulted from the attack on Autobot City.

7. betetta

betetta guitar face

wether he died or not, that wouldn't have stopped the animators of season 3 if they wanted to showed him around.

the image in the storyboards showed IIRC smokescreen lying next to windcharger but from the point of view of wheeljack's place, and the final image that made the movie showed windcharger and wheeljack from the opposite point of view (arcee's) so he could have been there, just of the picture.

i'm stuck in denial forever anyway... not even brawn died, etc. so i don't really care :p 

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's weird, but everybody always seems to remember the movie as being a massive slaughterfest where dozens of characters from seasons 1 and 2 died. I know I remembered it as such. But, in actuality, the list of casualties is really small. The Autobots lost Optimus, Ironhide, Ratchet, Prowl, Brawn, Wheeljack, and Windcharger (who, in fairness, wasn't much of a loss - all he ever did was fill the role of "third Autobot on the left"). The Decepticons lost Starscream, and Megatron, Skywarp, Thundercracker, and the Insecticons were reformatted by Unicron. So there were really only eight full deaths in the movie, and Starscream came back as a ghost not far into season 3.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, the original concepts called for a lot more deaths to thin out the autobot ranks. I think the one idea of a big "charge of the light brigade" through a decepticon gauntlet would certainly have been even more traumatic to the kids.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    smokescreen was supoosed to die but they cut him Sideswipe,Red Alert from the last draft.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Was it Trailbreaker and Huffer that were helping Kup do the road construction? I would assume they died since Kup was the only one to get back to Autobot city.

12. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

That's one of the mysteries of the movie.

13. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    He went to bussiness school before the movie with this quote "I'm sick of doing a kiddy show" About a year later his bookie beat him to death with a stick for not paying off his gambiling debts off.

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I feel that way about Wheeljack. I've heard all the denials about his appearnce in TF Victory, but I still think Wheeljack got rebuilt, and he's been laughing at all of us since to those who think he's dead.

Anyway, I believe Smokescreen to be alive and well too.

15. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

The only 100% confirmed deaths in the movie are Optimus Prime, Starscream, and Ratchet. These are the only characters shown to lose their color on-screen. Prime's color loss is obvious. Starscream loses all color just before he crubles. A closeup just before Megatron frags Ironhide shows Brawn and Ratchet; Ratchet's hand has lost its color while Brawn still retains his color. It is safe to assume that Brawn, Prowl, and Ironhide were all quite dead by the time the shuttle reached Autobot City.

Wheeljack and Windcharger were both shown with heavy damage and black optics, but neither of them lost their color. I choose to interpret this as Stasis Lock, so it is quite possible (at least in my opinion) that both of them survived the movie.

While the Insecticons all take a beating (Shrapnel is shot by Blitzwing and rammed by Hot Rod, Kup, and Prime; Kickback gets his head crushed by Kup and later gets gunned down by Prime; Bombshell is ironically hit by a bombshell launched by Springer just before Devastator takes out the launcher), Thundercracker and Skywarp get off fairly lightly. TC is shot by Prime, but both are seen running into Astrotrain under their own power. Both are also standing (unlike the Insecticons) just before being jettisoned into space and neither seemed that damaged. Pity the other Decepticons didn't seem to care...

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I didnt know that Ratchet lose any color......I'll have to look at the film again to see for myself but your incorrect about one of the other characters.

Prowl lost color after he was shot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He was supposed to die, but he coped out and had Wheeljack take the hit instead.

18. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Good catch on Prowl, sto_vo_kor_2000! Definitely dead!

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Well at least till Headmasters:drunk 

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

I thought I saw Hound and Sunstreaker there too, but obviously they had to leave very quickly afterwards to shuttle Optimus to Earth. They used a super secret warp gate or something to get there so fast.