1986 animated TF movie references all over "Autocracy" - good grief, Flint Dille!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

I was not really interested in trying out Autocracy until I saw Flint Dille was one of the writers (most here should know he was a major player in writing the '86 movie and several of the cartoons) and as I do have plenty of nostalgia for the '86 movie despite its age and flaws, I looked forward to seeing him write in the IDW-verse.

But holy moly. Flint Dille-isms in Autocracy are giving Furmanisms a serious run for their money! When you consider the issues are only eight pages and have relatively scant dialogue the amount of 1986 Movie references (and other cartoon references) is staggering.

Just off the top of my head:

In one of the recent issues there is a line about it being "like hunting shrikebats in..." This is a shout out to the 1986 movie where Kup says that Cyclonus and company were closing on he and Hot Rod's shuttle "like the shrikebats of Dramadon."

Megatron tells Hot Rod that he is "made of sterner stuff." Obviously a classic Prime line from the '86 movie.

I also saw a "no matter the cost" dropped in there in one issue as well.

Starscream's sarcastic referral to "mighty Megatron" is of course reference to the "how do you feel, mighty Megatron" scene in the '86 movie where Starscream kicks him.

Megatron had told Starscream that he had "crushed Optimus with his bare hands" when in fact he had not. This is in reference both to the "crushed him with my own hands" line Megatron utters in the '86 movie and the fact that it was an exaggeration back then just as it is in the current Autocracy comic.

Ironhide uses the phrase "decepticreeps" at least once and seemingly multiple times if I recall, obviously one of his famous lines from the '86 movie. Ironhide's whole characterization in Autocracy is closer to the '86 movie version than any of the IDW version I feel.

The whole "'Til all are one" theme, what that means and how to get to that state, is arguably the crux of the entire Autocracy series just as it was in the '86 movie.

In Hunt For Soundwave, the scene where Optimus barrels into Soundwave in truck mode and for a second Soundwave looks at his own reflection in the oncoming Optimus's windshield is a direct recreation of Prime barreling over Thrust in the '86 movie with Thrust also seeing his own reflection.

Megatron utters to Prime that he will do "more than you can imagine" to repel Prime's stand, another line uttered in the '86 movie when Megatron plans his attack on the shuttle.

Starscream says something to Megatron about when he will start "terminating fools" or something like that, and Megatron replies "I just might"...a reference to the '86 movie scene where Megatron-as-Galvatron blows the "fool" Starscream away. That one is more subtle but given the number of references I do think that is what Dille was hinting at.

Swindle yells "wanna bet?" while fleeing Optimus's Autobot police crew...a line of course uttered by Starscream to Megatron in the '86 movie right before chucking him into space.

Blaster at one point yells "look out and shout!" which was taken directly from one of his few lines in the 1986 movie.

Blaster also says something close to "cover your receptors" that is similar to his "cover your receptors, Perceptor" line in '86.

Megatron at one point commands "Astrotrain, transform to shuttle mode and get us out of here!" which is taken directly from Starscream's "Astrotrain, transform and get us out of here!" line during the Deceps retreat from Autobot City.

Bumblebee tells Ironhide something to the effect of (I think maybe the exact words) "not bad for an old timer" at the shooting range, which is a line that Hot Rod uttered to Kup early in the '86 movie.

These are just off top of my head, there are others all over the place too. Feel free to contribute if you've read the series and spotted some I didn't metion. I'm not critical of Dille doing this since I do have nostalgia for the '86 movie, but there are so dang many of them crammed in there that I will admit I do almost feel more like I'm reading a (very well written) prequel to the universe of Dille's '86 movie script and cartoons rather than a part of the IDW story/timeline.

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All of this, and I mean ALL of it, is more subtle and welcome than the clumsy cut-and-paste line references in the first live-action film and especially Transformers: Prime. Just to point out. :D 

I haven't read all of "Autocracy" through yet but it would be a shame if that got annoying. Still, MAJOR IDW-isms like an older and more ambivalent Hot Rod character and ludicrously evil Primes seem to abound in the story.

3. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't get me wrong I've enjoyed it and it definitely is doing plenty to fit itself into the IDW universe and style. Hot Rod is definitely not the same character as in Dille's cartoon writing but rather like you say is more slanted toward his IDW character. Certainly Metroplex was given a much richer and more IDW-like backstory/entrance than anything in Dille's cartoon writing. And so on.

I don't really find the references annoying as you can probably tell by the post above that I have fun spotting them...but I will say they do all tend to interrupt my flow of reading it as part of the IDW continuity a bit because each time I'll get to one and be like "oh yeah, that was the scene in '86 when..." and I'm off on that mental tangent rather than paying full attention to the panel. I just get the sense that Dille is having fun with the old "Furmanisms" traditions and going "oh yeah? you ain't seen *nothing* yet..."