1984 "Tai Fong" Transforming Radio

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Voiceroy, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I found one of these at an Antique Mall last week and thought it was really cool, but I just couldn't justify the cost ($79 less 40% off special). According to the price tag description, it said the toy was "extremely rare" and the radio on it supposedly still worked, but there were no batteries in it. The toy was stamped with 1984 from a manufacturer called Tai Fong.

I did a google search and found these pics on the message boards at cybertron.ca from 2007:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I might be going by the same Antique Mall again in the next week, and I'm still pondering buying it. But does anyone know if $40-ish price tag is even a ballpark going price for such an item? Nothing comes up for anything like it on ebay, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Also, did this "Tai Fong" company make any other transforming toys?

2. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think i've seen that figure on tfu.info before. Always thought it looked pretty cool, I always thought it was a custom.

3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd grab it, it looks very awesome and unique.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    LOL nice head. Looks like Soundwaves retarded brother.

5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
  6. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    For the price. I'd say get it if they have the axe. That's a killer app.

7. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

Seconded.
    Its a great if its mint and complete.

I think its great for display with either blaster or soundwave.

8. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

That version of him isn't very easy to find, its always hard to gauge the price for bootleg/knockoffs, but consider how very few of them still exist today in emaculate condition. As an 80s bootleg collector i'd easilly drop 30 on it in good condition in a heartbeat so 40 isn't that bad if you can grab it locally (especialy if it has the weapon and is in decent shape)

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    There was no axe, but I suppose I could have I asked the antique mall desk staff to contact the booth owner to see if it might still be obtainable.

It was in surprisingly good condition too: tight joints, very little sticker fade or wear, and in really nice condition otherwise.

Unfortunately, it's a long haul to that antique mall again--I was just passing through the area at the time. It'd cost me around $40 in gas just to make the trip again...if it's even still there.

Thanks for the toyarchive link, netkid. I haven't checked that site in ages. I have a number of transforming oddities in my collection, and I especially like the vintage KO stuff.

10. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

It definitely trumps Blaster in the arm-articulation department, however, that head is God-awful. That said, too bad it doesn't have functioning FM capability...I wouldn't hesitate buying it.

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Looks like I'll get another chance to pick it up after all, if it's still there. Just got a call from my agent regarding a TV commercial I auditioned for last week, and I made callbacks. So I'll be driving by the same antique mall again on the way there.

12. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I had that guy as a kid. It was neat that it had an actual tuner. I use to jam to "The Final Countdown"! LMAO.

13. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

There was another one of those on ebay made by a different company with a different head about 2 weeks ago. the tai fong version also came in red which is a lot harder to find, i've only seen a loose one of those.

These must have been found in quantity, the blue MIB version shows up on ebay and ebay italy pretty frequently. I think i paid $35 shipped for mine? $40 is an ok price for it if its missing the chrome axe, lol.

Tai fong did a lot of toys with radios in them. There is this really ugly insect-robot-space thing with 8 legs and I found these two Tai fong transforming cars. Old-school!

[​IMG]

14. Galva12

Galva12 Galvatron's "YES" Men

I had this guy when I was a kid and I loved it! So much articulation in its arms. But I traded him for Soundwave. Such a neat toy!