1984-86 Transformers "Classics" Checklist (Need some help)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Trailbreaker77, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK I took the 1984 Transformers checklist that came with the figures and drew it in Microstation. Now I want to add our current roster of "Classic" style figures to it so everyone can see who is still left. I see threads on this weekly and I figure if we have these lists to fall back on we will not have to make "most wanted" lists. We could just refer to these list. I need some photo's that we can erase the background, I've tried to do this with the official photo's but I keep leaving a white hazy outline on the characters. I am no expert when it comes to photoshop so if someone wants to help out I can e-mail them a full size image of what ever year they need. I only want to use official Hasbro/Takara products no 3rd party add-ons or figures. Now some questions to discuss in this thread.
    1. Should we use both Takara and Hasbro to complete the lists or should they be separate?

2. If we use both do we just pick the one that is closer the the G1 style?

3. Figures with multiple molds like Warpath, Bumblebee etc.. do we just the bigger mold?

4. Should we add Grimlock since he NOT a tribute to the 85 but an update of the Pretenders mold?

Now on to the images.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

3. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    well alot of peoples lists will be different, i dont consider repaints of A/E/C characters to be part of classics but some do

4. G1 Milo

G1 Milo Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I personally would include all of the different models, even different sizes, and I would include the Masterpiece models too. I happen to prefer the Masterpiece figures where available -- and I would include both Grimlocks.

5. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I would stick to either Hasbro or Takara or making two lists. Having a mix of Classics and Henkei may confuse some fans.

I personally would not include repaints from other series. I would much rather use Defender as Springer than any of the Hasbro versions. That being said I know you don't want 3rd party stuff in there so I was just using Springer as an example.

For figues like BB and Warpath I would use the larger version of the toy. Then again I really don't consider Legends as part of any series so I look forward to Hasbro replacing the rest of the Legend Minibots (Brawn, Cosmo and Beachcomber). But until then I would incluse the Legends minibots.

I look forward to your completed visual list because I've seen one around and it looks amazing seeing current figures on an 84' sheet.

6. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    I don't know...but I love your avatar.

7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    whatever you decide... count me in for photoshopping some figures if needed!
    I have a fair amount of classics form which I could make High def pics...
    I would even make my first lightbox for this purpose so I can use my Nikon D-5000 ;) 

8. G60Force

Ebay:
    yeah... I always keep looking at his post's a while longer then necessary :D 

9. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Someone in the cool stuff thread had edited the 84 catalog w/ new toys iirc. It was pretty sweet. I'd say mainline ( and store exclusives) US releases that directly homage the 84-86 release.

10. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was going to say the same thing...but he used the newer robot mode and old vehicle IIRC

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    And here I thought I was the only one that got turned on by the hot big booby chick in his avatar lol.

If I was a young teen again I know who would be helping me sully my tissues lol.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

It would be great to see a seperate list for both versions, but only if you have the time/inclination to do it. The problem with this approach might be when you come to characters like Thundercracker, who has 3 versions, for example.

Also, can you imagine us lot trying to decide between Hasbro or Henkei? :lol  There'll be blood!

I say just go with your own judgement but stick to the deco which most closely resembles the G1 original wherever possible (ie Hasbro Sideswipe over Henkei, Henkei Astrotrain over Hasbro etc).

Again, I would say choose whichever is closest to the G1 original (ie legends Warpath and Bumblebee). People might not like omitting deluxe BB, but this project is about being faithful to the originals.

Hmmm... I would say include him as he is the only 'classics' Grimlock we've got, unless you can downsize pics of the Masterpiece?

13. G60Force

Ebay:
    YOU know what I've also got some pretty good FLASH skillz with some help, love + dedication I could make a FLASH website (or standalone SWF file) that could let you choose between different versions, so you can have your ultimate list desplayed and saved to a file (easier would be a screenshot) and print it out or something :D 

14. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I say use only Classics/Universe/Generations/RtS and Third Party (where necessary). Leave it up to you if you use Henkei or United.

I say Third Party because what are you going to do for things like the Insecticons?

Oh, and add one more to the fan of the avatar :D 

15. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was me, thanks! :thumbs2:  Here you go:

[​IMG]

16. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

Nice work :thumb 

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Should we use both Takara and Hasbro to complete the lists or should they be separate?
    Yes.

2. If we use both do we just pick the one that is closer the the G1 style?
    I'd say so...it'd be hard for me to pick to first Hasbro Powerglide over the Takara version or Hasbro red repaint, or the first Hasbro Cyclonus over the Challenge for Cybertron/Battle in Space version.

3. Figures with multiple molds like Warpath, Bumblebee etc.. do we just the bigger mold?
    I feel you should list Scout class and above only, and consider Legends class toys something separate. That said, people that want the original Minibots to stay small will probably disagree.

4. Should we add Grimlock since he NOT a tribute to the 85 but an update of the Pretenders mold?
    I can understand the notion to classify him as something separate...but until we get a newer version that's more in line with the original G1 toy, I say keep Grimlock in.

18. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    This is all going to be down to a matter of personal taste. This isn't going to be able to work out the same way for everybody.

19. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    exactly

20. G60Force

Ebay:
    HELLLLOOOOO ... this can be done much better.. read my previous posts!
    I'm already started working on a DEMO ;)