1982: If E.T was never made, what would have been the top film of the year?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

As some may know, a lot of now legendary films were crushed by E.T and suffered at the box office. So, which release of 1982 would have been #1 had E.T not been released that year?
    Arguably it is going to be 'First Blood', 'Conan The Barbarian', 'The Thing' vs 'Blade Runner', who still did OK in $$, but here are some other select Hollywood contenders for that year (US release schedule):

Airplane 2
    The Beastmaster
    The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
    Blade Runner
    Burden Of Dreams
    Cat People
    Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
    Conan The Barbarian
    Creepshow
    The Dark Crystal
    Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
    Death Wish II
    Diner
    First Blood
    Friday The 13th Part 3
    Grease 2
    Halloween 3
    Honkytonk Man
    The King Of Comedy
    Night Shift
    Rocky 3
    Star Trek 2
    The Thing
    Tootsie
    TRON
    The Year Of Living Dangerously
    Young Doctors In Love

...so? Whats your pick? Feel free to add one of your own.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Um... whatever came in second that year?

3. smkspy

Edit: Double post, but Toostie was second that year. So Toostie would be your answer.

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I don't understand the op at all. Because the answer is Tootsie, by a far margin, not even up for debate. Otherwise, are you saying we all love ET but if it didn't exist we'd have to choose a new movie to love? That's a few too many buys for me to wrap my brain around, friend.

Pretty good year for flicks either way though.

5. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Tootsie was an awesome film.

6. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Its a toss up between THE THING and BLADE RUNNER, IMHO. From what I remember hearing, niether films did as well everyone was hoping because the general auidence of that time were on a "Hopeful" High after watching E.T., and wasn't digging the "Hopless" or "Desolate" Atmosphere of either aformentioned films. In the end, I'd choose The Thing over BR.

7. Hand Of Omega

What I asked was, "if ET had not been released" in 1982. You can still love ET, I'm asking in your opinion, what would have been #1. You can come to the choice however you wish, the following a film has today, gauge it on total grosees since its release or simply say that Tootsie was #2, so it would have been #1. Whatever.
    Personally, gauging the popularity of it today, I think 'Blade Runner'. The theatrical version (which after seeing it had me wary of the 'Directors Cut' at first) may be flawed and pretty inconsistent, but it just knocks off 'The Thing' IMO.

8. smkspy

If E.T. hadn't been released, Blade Runner or The Thing would have probably done better at the box office. Nevertheless, I don't think they would have risen to number one, maybe the Summer, but Tootsie was released in December so clearly there is no overcoming that.

9. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    But the answer is Tootsie. It wasn't like everyone was all sci-fi'd out because of ET and so they said "No dice, Bladerunner".

ET did well because of the attraction kids/teens had to it, most of those other flicks were what, hard R? Taking ET out of the equation just means Tootsie would have made more money probably, not that everyone would be like HEY LETS GO SEE THAT OTHER ALIEN FLICK. People in the 80's were dumber and poorer than people are even today, so I'm not sure what you're going for. Heck, if we're going off totally imaginary scenario's, if released today, there would already be 2 direct-to-video Tootsie sequels (Still Tootsieing and Tootsie's Back) starring Martin Mull as Tootsie and nobody from the original would even pretend to show up.

Face it friend, ET wins, and then Tootsie is #2 (common theme in both - cross dressing! Way to be, America!)

[​IMG]

10. smkspy

I dunno... I was looking at the B.O. per year from 1980 to 2009, and it seems people in 80s were a little smarter when choosing the top pictures of the year. No way today's audience would make Terms of Endearment, The Karate Kid, Cocoon, Crocodile Dundee, or Three Men and A Baby successful films...that'd require a sense of taste.

11. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Fair enough. Counter-point: more than one Weekend at Bernies was not only written, but actually released in theaters.

(runner-up mention goes to Mannequin 1 and 2!)

Boom. (Roasted!)

12. smkspy

To be fair, Weekend at Bernie's II is much funnier than one. Zombified Bernie FTW!

Oh, and a little shout out to the "Insert name here" movies and the American Pie franchise.

13. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

Tootsie would have been top film of the year...besides thats not the order those films were actualy released in anyway. :p 

14. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Grrr, darn you.

Fine.

Tootsie still wins though.

15. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Khaaaahhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Hand Of Omega

Sure. OK. You go with that then... :inquisiti 

...maybe I should rename this, "What would you have liked the #1 film of 1982 to be if ET hadn't been released in 1982. Please come to this conclusion any way that you wish as I am not for a moment saying history must be rewritten or that ET is a bad film at all. Conclusions may be based on actual evidence, as in what was 2nd that year or simply use your imagination."

17. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Hey, I'm just going off what you asked.

It seems more like you're asking what movies we liked more than ET than anything else, just all seems kind of arbitrary is all. Your question is kind of about rewriting history actually too - WITHOUT ET WHAT IS THERE? - like I said, too many buys in your query friendo.

In my imagination The Abyss came out that year instead, and Tootsie was still #1 -because parts of that movie, and Ed Harris' head, are scary to children.

18. Hand Of Omega

You really don't wanna know whats happening in my imagination now boy-o. :stick:  LOL!
    Over analysing it a bit aren't we? :) 

ET never came out in 1982, so what do you think, however you come to the conclusion, would have been #1? You said Tootsie cos it came second that year, cool, fair enough, that's all that is required. :peoples: 

19. smkspy

Well you're presenting this as if ET is the only movie people seem to remember from 1982 and it completely overshadowed every other film. It may have been the biggest, but 1982 had many great movies that are still remembered. Nevertheless, I'd so far as to say that most of the movies you've mentioned with the exceptions of Blade Runner, The Thing, and Star Trek II have largely been forgotten and aren't as legendary as you're making them out to be. Though why you left out Poltergeist, 48 hrs, Porky's, and An Officer and a Gentlemen is beyond me.

20. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Excuse me? Star Trek II largely forgotten? Who doesn't know "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one?" If there's one thing about Trek anyone outside of scifi fandom knows it's that. Even my George Lucas worshiping, hardcore Trek hater friend loves ST2.

Though 82 was full of amazing cinema. One of my favorites not even on that list. (Given it flopped at the box office, but the Secret of NIMH still stands as an animation masterpiece.) In fact I think I'm adding 1982 to the list of times to visit if I should ever get my hands on a time machine.