1980s diecast metal lion voltron

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by mac&cheese, Feb 21, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks for the info. i will leave you my feedback when i get it.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

My brother had the original Voltron figure. Unfortunately, it's broken.

I would certainly like to buy a couple of Voltron figures -- one for me, and one for my brother -- but I certainly wouldn't want to spend $100+ for 'em.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I want Vehicle Voltron to go with my Lion Voltron

4. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

lion voltron was one of my fav cartoons when i was a kid, i've never had a chance to get the original toy... but i plan to get the 25th anni metallic version soon.

5. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    you should get the diecast version its much heavier and bettr imo, the metallic version is all plastic and very light.

6. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but the Trendmasters Voltron also has "fins" on the lions that the originals don't have.

Also here is my opinion (some will highlight what others have mentioned):

Original Popy/Bandai Golion: Great figure, sharp teeth, loads of weapons, expensive. Can be very fragile, whether the toy was played with or not. The die-cast on the black lion legs is almost like a white metal and is thin, and the rear legs can break if you are not careful.

Matchbox Version: Round Teeth, sword only, a little better quality, slightly more reasonable price.

Trendmasters: More durable, issues with the yellow ears, washed out look, lots of weapons (two versions, silver or gold chrome plating) has the fins, lower price, but I think this one is heavily overvalued. I could have bought hundreds of these when they came out for 20-30 because they hit clearance at Kaybee very quickly. I don't think the current market price is justified, and you can usually have good luck with auctions for these on ebay (wait to get it cheap because they can get overbid) rahter than buy it now or bbts's price.

Masterpiece Diecast: A little expensive, skinnier lions & updated looks. Fragile and not always kind to playwear. (Small breaks and can be top heavy if stand & pose is wrong).

Masterpiece Plastic:

Standard Colors: Awesome and play friendly, looks like an anime version. Nice.

Metallic Colors: Same as plastic version but made to look like metallic or old school color scheme. Was an SDCC release but you can get it. Also nice. I am leaning toward this one even though it is a little more expensive.

Also for the masterpiece versions, you can get the kick ass base and weapon stand for $35 or so.

All in all it is great but you have to go with what you like. Be careful with older Voltrons as there are many fakes/KOs that are actually from the same vintage era - he was popular, so they KO'd him like crazy - korean, taiwan, chinese, etc.

I highly suggest trying to buy one in person if at all possible, especially an older one due to potential for joint issues, wear, etc. The old ones are heavy as hell. If the joints are bad they wont stand up and its not pretty if it falls. You may actually make out great finding a secondhand one locally, rather than buying a great looking MIB one.

Also, if anyone is thinking about Vintage or KO Dairuggger/Vehicle Voltron/Voltron I, the same tips go for that. He is all plastic, but can be very brittle even if unused. Try to buy in person. Main robot is 15 pieces without accessories. IF YOU BUY ONE OF THESE AND HAVE NEVER OWNED ONE HUNT DOWN THE INSTRUCTIONS OR GOOGLE FOR THEM. This toy can be extremely temperamental and you have to use the mechanisms just right other wise you will break your new toy. This was another toy that was well-engineered in design and way ahead of his time.

Albegas/Warrior Voltron/Voltron II: Fragile as hell. Warrior Robot joints break very easily.

In short, I feel that the price for the vintage stuff is determined as follows: popularity of voltron, limited number of toys, number of toys left that are not broken, number of knockoffs/toys that have been mixed with real ones unknowingly over the years, and the general frailty of the toys.

These are some of the greatest toys ever, just do your homework if you must have the vintage stuff. Know how to identify Popy vs. Bandai vs. Matchbox vs. KO etc.

Just my experience...ask me how I know...

7. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    i would take any diecast version over any plastic version. thats what i would do. to me the plastic version dont seem to feel like the one from the 80s.

8. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    But the Metal version has problems that from what I can tell were fixed in the plastic version.

9. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

The diecast loses its charm if the toy can't handle the weight. Diecast is nice but you can't throw it for the sake of throwing it in. The toy has to be designed around the weight and everything I hear says that the toynami masterpiece line is not designed to handle the weight of the diecast.

10. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    true, but ive seen both before, and i do like both trendmasters and masterpiece diecast versions better myself than plastic versions. to me plastic version looks so i dont want to make people piss off, but i want to say "for me only". i think the plastics version looks cheap compared to the much heavier die cast versions. i need chrome. they could have at least spray some chrome on the plastic. then it would look alot better. to me it just doesnt feel like voltron with no die cast. i guess i only display them so i never have any kind of weight problems.

11. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Same here. It feels like they're on springs or something, but whatever it is, is too strong and won't let them go down all the way. My Black Lion's jaw/Voltron face won't go all the way down either for the same reason.

I also had mine topple over about 3-4 feet onto the floor one day. Carpeted floor, so no damage to Voltron himself. However he must've landed on his sword, because it snapped clean in half :(  That was about 3-4 years ago and he's been in his box, in my closet, ever since.

12. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    what if you superglue it back together and display it? its a chunky brick in the middle anyways, or sell it on ebay buy half get half for free kind of deal?

13. starsaber888

personally i would get one treadmaster version and one masterpece (metallic) version. i will display treadmaster in lion mode and the plastic in combined mode.

14. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Should be reversed so you have less chances of breaking the Masterpiece version.

15. starsaber888

the metallic masterpiece version is made of plastic so it shouldn't break that easily and it looks much better in combined robot mode than treadmaster. i share start hunting for loose treadmaster or golion on ebay. btw is there a website showing differences between different versions, it kinda hard to tell? also can treadmaster combined with golion?

16. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    yes the masterpices plastic metallic version looks better than the trendmasters plastic version, becuase of the metallic for some people. but in my opinion, i dont think any plastic versions would look anywhere close to a dicast version. the diecast version looks much heavier, it has chrome, and the paint job looks much deeper than the light looking plastic versions. thats why im surely going for the die cast versions instead of any plastic versions. to me the plastic versions dont compare at all.

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    by the way, aside from the trendmasters one, I also got (for free for selling his toys on ebay) from a friend of mine the plastic voltron from the 80's that comes with little figures that fit inside each lion! it's kind of out of proportion in combined mode, and the lions aren't very articulated, but they look good in individual lion form, next to the combined trendmasters one.

18. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    i never knew they made one plastic version from the 80s? i do remeber a trendmasters plastic version which came with tiny pilots though. are you sure its by matchbox? i remeber seeing most voltron items from the 80s when i was a kid. any pics of it? im just curious.
    off topic i wish i had a trendmasters stelth and dino voltron. but i wont pay 300.00 for a dino voltron which no one wanted at the time.

19. simplygriff

simplygriff Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    The plastic Voltron that the figures fit inside was made by a company called Panosh Place. I really need to take some pics of my Voltron Corner. I have a complete set of carded "Human" figures, all 3 original matchbox Die-Cast Voltrons, Boxes for the Lion and Vehicle ones, An extra set of matchbox Lions I didn't realize I had til I got the box out to display (anyone wanna buy them? The Black lion has a broken "Red Wing"), Both RoBeast Coffins, A Boxed Tank, the 24" Remote Control Lion Voltron that can take on Fot Max, Etc. I need the Panosh Place Voltron but it's so hideous, I can't bring myself to buy one.

Best pic I could find of the Panosh Place Voltron.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Better pics in this auction
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1984-VO...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eab46344a

Stealth Voltron!? I've got one of those carded in storage. That thing was hideous.
    -G

20. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    that Panosh one is the one I had as a kid, and found again years later at a garage sale, and then that one disappeared too...