1980s diecast metal lion voltron

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by mac&cheese, Feb 21, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i was thinking about buying this awsome trendmasters diecast metal voltron toy. it looks just like the one from the 80s unlike the newer thinner masterpiece version. i remember having this thing as a kid. it was so cool. it was huge when i remember playing with it. i really want this thing to remind me of my childhood and the voltron tv show. does anyone have one of these?
    i ran into it on the bbts site
    Die-Cast Voltron Gift Set (1997) - Voltron Vintage at BigBadToyStore

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That certainly does look cool, but the price, is whoa!

But in all honesty, very nice looking set. Did you get it?

3. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Rooks Gang Leader

News Credits:
    I recall a website where there were differences between the LJN versions versus the Trendmasters one. And the differences aren't slight either.

Personally, I have the Masterpiece one (the plastic one) and I love it. The individual posing for the Lions really does it for me too.

But, to each their own. I can't remember the website in the aforementioned, but personally I'd rather have what I have now.

4. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    ive seen the website, and ive seen each one of the voltrons. they are both good in the pics. but when i saw both of them in person here are the differences for me. pros and cons...........

trendmasters diecast version- its heavier, looks exactly just like the 80s matchbox version. except for the black face paint instead of blue. comes with loads of weapons. so if you want the version from the 80s, then i would recommend this one for sure.

masterpiece diecast version-its thinner than the trendmasters version, a little smaller in size and weight, but its more posable and also has loads of weapons. if you want something which you can pose in various movements, then this version is for you.

for me i like both and want to get both of them. but i want the one exactly like the 80s one first, then when i save up more money. i will get the masterpices next. they will both look great next to my transformers. i want 2 of each one to display and one to open.

5. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Rooks Gang Leader

News Credits:
    Well then, sounds like you've made your decision my friend.

However, let me state regarding the Masterpiece Edition. I've heard tons of bad things about the die-cast version, especially in Voltron form. Arms fall off/break off, upper body falls over from the weight, etc.

Only con of the Masterpiece Plastic Edition is that it's not shiny. But, what can you do?

6. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    thanks for the info, i forgot about that. i heard about the tranformation problems before on the masterpiece version. but oh i love the bookstyle cartoon art on that box. but i think ill wait on the masterpiece set for now. i dont want to take a chance on that one to any problems. i will just get the trendmasters one from the bbts first. ive held that one before and its pretty heavy and sturdy. as for the plastic versions of both i dont like them. they seem to light with no diecast metal. however i wish i had one of those trendmasters stealth and dino voltrons since they never made a diecast version of that thing.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've got the trendmasters one (got it for retail when it came out though) and just auctioned off an original 80's one for a friend, so I can chime in about the differences. the weight is pretty much the same, and the molds seem about equal. the main difference is in the pain apps. the new one the colors are a bit lighter as they appear more to have been sprayed on. on the older one the paint is really thick and the colors are deeper. the faces are different colors, and on my trendmasters one I can't get the little yellow horns/ears on voltron to stay all the way in the unfolded/down position. they're always at a slight angle. hope this helps!

8. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    also dont forget most of the matchbox versions had thick lead paint from china.

9. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    love my original, pieced together from parts from ebay lots. If you can get one, it's well worth it. Although the unfortunate thing with the thicker lead paint is it can chip alot easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

I've been wanting to get a Masterpiece Voltron for some time now, but after seeing these pics I want to get this 80s version too! Or instead. Awesome pics. How much should I expect to pay if I do what you did and piece it together off ebay? What about buying complete?

I have looked at some of the previous threads on Masterpiece Voltron and some youtube videos, etc. There's alot of confusing Voltron versions out there when you're just looking to buy one for the first time and you can't see it in person.

A toy store near me has the vintage Voltron that fits all the people inside. It's missing his sword and whatever other accessories might've came with it, but it has 4/5 of the people that fight inside. They were asking $125, but would take less. I thought it was nice, but even if I offered $100 I thought that would be too much considering it's not complete. Hell you can get two plastic Masterpiece Voltrons $125ish.

11. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Hey mac&cheese, I sent you a PM. I have a Trandmaster Voltron for sale for $100 plus shipping. I've recently had to come to terms with collecting only one line (Transformers) so unfortunately I'm parting with my other toy lines.

If you, or anyone else is interested, PM me! (It'll save you some money over BBTS, which you could then spend on the Masterpiece plastic version!)

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

for those of you talking about lead paint in voltron, it's not entirely true. there were MANY different styles of lion voltrons released in the US. the deluxe one with the silver "made in taiwan" sticker had lead in it. the ones made in japan (which was most of them) were actually lead-free:

Voltron Lion Toys Recalled by Matchbox

13. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    The Trendmasters Voltron kind of sucks. It has issues, the main two being:

1) The Lion ears don't stay extended in robot mode.

2) The chrome on the Black lion legs chips like crazy.

But considering the cost of a Matchbox version, maybe it is still the best option.

14. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    Yeah, mine have the silver stickers and say Go-lion.

15. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

As someone who once owned the original Voltron and the Trendmasters one later on, I would say no. There are definitely differences, more than many probably realize. As was stated earlier, the original, (Matchbox) version had nicer and deeper paint, while the Trendmasters has lighter paint. It's the same story with the plastic. This makes it look cheap compared to the original, though on its own I suppose its passable. Also, Voltrons face is basically black and white on the Trendmasters verson, instead of the blue and white we all know, and the paint job is sloppy as well. Other notable differences include;

The teeth. The Matchbox version had sharp teeth, while the Trendmasters one has stubby little teeth.

Accessories. The individual weapons for the Trendmasters version are poorly molded, making them look like knock-offs. Even the blazing sword suffers from this.

Weapons gutted. Yes, Trendmasters removed the weapons on the loins completely, leaving empty holes where they used to be. The most obvious example of this is on the inside of the blue and yellow lions ears. This is the biggest problem I have with this version, as it looks terrible.

Fins on the red and green lions. For some reason, Trendmasters saw fit to add fins on the backs of the red and green lions. IMO, it looks better without them, as they serve no purpose.

There are other slight diferences, but the ones stated above are the main ones. With all this said, however, I would say that if I could get the Trendmasters version for the original price it was going for back in the 90's, (which was nowhere near what BBTS wants for it, obviously), then yes, it is worth it. But since this no longer in production, I would just recommend saving up for an original on Ebay.

16. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    wow, you must have looked at them for hours to find all of those differences. i know if you look at every tiny thing then yes you will find a here and there as with any reissues of any toy. hey nothing beats the 80s real deal. but ive seen the trendmasters version and the masterpiece. overall the trendmasters version looks pretty much just like the original to me. while the masterpiece looks nothing like the original. im currently deciding if i should order from the bbts. thats the only place i see for a factory sealed unopened version. i dont want any loose opened version or pay over 5000.00 for a 1980s matchbox sealed version. the last time one was on ebay it was going for over 5000.00. i used to own the 80s voltron before i stop playing with them. so i sold all my voltrons, gi joes, star wars, heman, tranformers from the 80s to a shop all for 75.00. there were at least 1000 pieces or more. i figure i didnt want to play with toys anymore and it was time to go to high school soon. i wish i didnt sell them and left them in storage. i bet i would have gotten more than 75.00 for all of those collections.

17. Mirage232

Actually that's just off the top of my head. :wink:  But yes, I really loved the original as a kid, and when I got the Trendmasters version, I was rather disappointed. The gutted weapons are my biggest gripe. But still, the Trendsmasters version is not that bad if you can get it for a good price. And I admit, I have not been keeping up with the current going rate of the Matchbox versions on Ebay. I just think BBTS is asking to much for it, personally.

18. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    did you mean that trendmasters took out all the weapons from the box? if i order one from bbts they better have the weapons just like the pic shows and the description.

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I have that one. Bought it back in 97 or 98. Pretty sure its the same one. But I didn't pay anywhere near that much for it. Maybe $40 tops.

20. Mirage232

Naah, they have all the weapons. I was talking about the built in weapons in the lions themselves. For example, the yellow lion had a gimmick where both sides of his head would open up to reveal launchers that would fire missles. This was removed completely in the Trendsmasters version, and now there is nothing there but two gaping holes. I had a link to a pic showing what I meant, but unfortunately, the link doesn't work.