1918 WW1 Trench Knife my wife found.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trailbreaker77, Apr 18, 2008.

1. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

im courios about thos nuckel gaurds, what was the point to them

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    non-lethal force.

3. grimlockams prime

makes sence

4. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

My question is: would it devalue it to clean it up? Or is the rust too set-in? And would cleaning it release it's bad vibes into the world?

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I've watched a fuckload of Antique Roadshow, and usually cleaning ups the value...but only if it's done by a professional restorer.

6. KillBot

KillBot Well-Known Member

I tried to find a price for you but it is difficult because of the condition. I have seen it go for $850 in excellent condition. From the looks of yours, the blade might clean up nicely or the rust could have pitted it and it could be hiding excessive scratches/wear. I would also be concerned that the rear nut may be stuck from the rust. The sheath looks like it is beyond help, judging from the pictures.
    I would not recommend cleaning it unless you know what you are doing. The only thing I would recommend is to wipe it down with some oil like clp (works great for rust prevention). If you are feeling more adventurous you can soak the rear nut in a penetrating oil for a day (kriol is highly recommended for this). After soaking it you can gently see if the nut will come loose with a proper fitting wrench. That way you can see the condition of the steel under the grip.
    Also, keep in mind when considering offers, that your maker (one of 3 American companies) is much more desirable than the French made AU Lion trench knife. A lot of potential buyers will show you what the AU Lion version goes for in order to get you to sell it for less.

7. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well thanks for all your help and some other posts for a guilt trip. I will list it and when it sell I will ask my wife what she want to do with the money. I do not have experience cleaning something like this I will wipe it down with something before I list it. I know that it is hard to see but sheath has the marking LF&C on it as well doubt I could clean that up so it can be seen clearer.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That's awesome, I never find cool stuff like that. Actually the road I take to Uni everyday was George Washington's spy trail (war against the British, the Native Americans here helped Washington navigate). That's as close as I get to history.

9. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

That is one badass knife.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Maybe, but honestly, I don't think there was a lot of non-lethality goin' on in the trenches. I'm thinking the knuckle guards were there just to make the weapon that much more versatile.

Mebbe in the close quarters of the trenches, sometimes it was easier to punch rather than swing or stab, y'know?

11. KillBot

KillBot Well-Known Member

You are correct. There was no such thing as non-lethal force. I don't know what the original designer intended by putting the brass knuckles on it but the only actual use I could find info on was as a guard for defending yourself from an enemy's close quarters attack.

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Here my two cents. If you sell it. Go treat your wife with a nice dinner at some nice place. I think she will apreciate it.

13. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Or, before you sell it, knock her out with it. Then you can spend ALL the money on yourself. Win win!

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Domestic violence - fun for all the family!

15. grimlockams prime

also makes sence

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You could email the pic to some museum sites , someone would know some history on it. It could be more valuable than you think and there may be the right place for it somewhere.

A museum employee would also know the best restoration method for it, or Dr googles

17. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am going to list it later this week will post when I do. Think I am going to start it at $500? While I am not sure if that is to high I have seen them go for higher. But they were in better condition. I wiped it with a clean cloth then put a little cleaning oil on it to get the rusted dust off it. If no one bids on it for $500 then I guess it is to high.
    [​IMG]

18. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

My dad has a huge bullet in his house that was usually used for anti aircraft machine guns from WW2.

It was somthing the previous owners of the house collected and they left the bullet behind. (The thing has no shell, so it's harmless unless you throw it at someone)

19. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

I was always under the impression that in a muddy trench, a knuckle-guard such as that would give you a much firmer grip on the handle for stabbing and slashing. Also good for whacking someone in the face with!