$150 Million week - One of the Biggest Openings for a Non Sequel

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by tobecat, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Screechatron

Screechatron Well-Known Member

Every year, ticket prices seem to be higher and higher. I know this year I've paid $9 to see TF; last year prices were about $8.50, $8.25 the year previous, etc. When the first HP came out, I'm sure the inflated cost of a ticket was not as high as it is now; hence, if both movies sold the exact same amount of tickets, TF would win the MOST MONEY EARNED award.

I think I remember shelling out $7 to see Matrix and thinking I was being ripped off. $6.50 to see ID4. Both evening showtimes.

Actually, I didn't pay a thing to see Matrix. My friend's girlfriend snuck us in the theaters three different times on the opening day; inbetween showings we spent the time getting ripped. I hardly knew where I was by the third (midnight) showing. What a fun day.

2. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

You know what? Who cares what it did compared to Gone with the Wind? What I care about, and what every fan of both Transformers and the movie specifically should care about, is profit margin. And that is not something that's contorted and specific. That's a line in the sand that says, "Past here, we're making a sequel come hell or high water." And I do believe we're not passing that line, but obliterating it.

Sorry, but the reality is that means WAAAAAAY more to me than whether or not Transformers beat out some other movie current or historical. Sure, it'd be awesome to say it's the movie of the summer in literal cash amount terms, but so long as it hits the money-maker spot that gets it a sequel, I'll be happy.

3. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome news for our favorite property.

It's great to hear all of my non-Transformers friends let me know that they think the movie is amazing.

I am beyond elated to see these kind of numbers for this movie, I hope that the weeks to come bring it even more success.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Since it made so much money I wonder if they could give me my $8.75 back since I didn't like the movie.

5. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

That's what really counts IMO. The fact that this movie is being embraced by persons beyond the fandom speeks more to the health of this franchise than anything else. I mean, whether it beats Spiderman or not really doesn't mean alot in the long run. The fact that the moviegoing public have embraced this franchise means so much nore in the long run, and hopefully will give this franchise legs for years to come.

6. Tekfreak

Tekfreak Well-Known Member

wont this make a BOATLOAD internationally when it comes out in Japan?? I mean i know Japan is more infatuated with TF than the states as far as i know. Despite the fact Japans population is way smaller than ours, i think the following there will give it a big international boost, yes?

7. Tekfreak

Tekfreak Well-Known Member

thats cuz yer in wisko LOL. chicago area you gget buttfucked for a minimum 9.50$ unless u have student ID or whatever. I usually use the credit card kiosks and just put that im a senior/child and pay the 6.50 for it lol

8. Screechatron

Screechatron Well-Known Member

Point taken and respected. Whatever it takes for another movie to occur, make it happen.

I guess I was having a more general rant than specifically for the Transformers movie. I just find it unfair for movies in general to have their success judged by the amount of money raked in versus the amount of tickets sold. It's like saying that Americans spent more money on gas in 2006 than they did in 1996. Of course we did; gas is more expensive than 1996. The real question is how many gallons we bought.

9. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

there is no profit yet, it has to break 300 million to make a profit, what people don't realize that the thearters get 50% of the box office gross and the studio gets the other 50. but either way this movie is going to make the studio mad amounts of money that's for sure.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    300 million?
    Exactly where are you getting these figures from?
    Honestly, I have read some of the most ridiculous posts of all time on this thread.

Box office totals are meaningless because of inflation.
    Box office totals are meaningless because people are seeing the movie more than once?

I could take people voicing dissent with the movie designs or choice of directors, etc. But now that its success has gone way beyond what most people thought it would it seems that people are just making things up to downplay it.

Who cares if a ticket in Vicksburg, TN costs $6 and a ticket in New York Cty costs $12? $150 million is $150 million.

11. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

When comparing the records adjusting for inflation, even analyst agree that it's not that simple. Availability of different medias (TV, DvD, digital) and other factors play a part in lowering of the attendance every year. Also, the highest grossing film adjusted for inflation is Gone With the Wind (from what I remember); back then the studios were in control of the theatre chains.

Bottom line; comparing past movie box office numbers to current numbers is like comparing apples to oranges.

12. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

From what I've read, you're kinda right; the studios in the end get roughly 50% of the total box office take of the entire run of the movie until it stops being shown in the theaters. They do get the largest chunk of the BO$ from the first week or so... with every following week, the theatres get a larger share (by the time the movie is in the cheap dollar theaters, the studio doesn't get a penny of that).

It may also depend on what deal the studio and the theatre chains make. For example: George Lucas was able to broker his own deal with the theatres forcing them to keep The Phantom Menace in the theaters for a fixed amount of time no matter how low the BO$ got. Forgot who wanted the ticket price raise, but either way that was used as an excuse to raise the ticket price.

13. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

Yeah! TRANSFORMERS kicks ass!

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

There is not only the theater cut, but they also hope these mega summer films will make back all the money they spent on marketing as well. No figures on just what they spent to market Transformers but since you couldn't turn on the TV for a while without seeing an ad I'm betting it was a fair chunck of change.

15. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

My point was that all of these records (adjusted for inflation or not), are quite irrelevant. The only relevant thing for me as a fan is that the franchise is doing exceedingly well. Personally, I'm tired of hearing how a boxoffice record is broken by every new blockbuster.

16. Sarge

Sarge Autobot Squad Leader

News Credits:
    All of the stupid arguements about money should just stop. Most big movies make more money internationally than they do in the US. Whether you like or dislike the movie drop the money arguement. It is making loads of money. Go find something else to argue about.

17. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    While I hate to get everyone started back on the money argument I would like to point out that the estimate in the article in the first post of $18.9 million for Sunday for an estimated 6 1/2 day total of $152.5 million is a little short of the actual take. Sunday's take was $22,144,125 for a total of $155,405,412. It's nice to know the movie is doing better than the estimates. Now they should tell us when to expect Transformers 2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=transformers06.htm

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yeah, I was just about to start a new thread about this, the estimates were lower than what it actually made!!!