$150 Million week - One of the Biggest Openings for a Non Sequel

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by tobecat, Jul 8, 2007.

1. DESTRO

DESTRO Cobra Arms Dealer Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know a lot of Non-Hardcore fans who have seen the movie 2 times already. That says something about this film.

Looking forward to Transformers II and G.I. Joe

2. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do they not judge a films success by number of tickets sold? Money isnt accurate at all. My movie theatre has 6-dollar ticket tuesdays for example. How is that fair?

3. Teletran

Teletran Witty title not included

so with the movie being a huge hit, are we no longer geeks? lol

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Active Member

Nope. Hardcore fans will 'always' be geeks... The average person will still be calling Bumblebee "The yellow one"... ;P

Alternatively, it merely proves that geeky films are still immensely popular when given the Hollywood treatment (Spiderman and LOTR aren't exactly a non-nerd thing when you get down to it... yet even my MOTHER loves those films...)

One thing's for sure, the film isn't perfect... but the effects alone justify watching Transformers over, and over, and over again. It truly was one of the best looking films I've ever seen.

5. EDcomics

EDcomics Foxtail Dreamer

The price of movie tickets goes up every year. Every year some movie breaks multiple box office records. They're meaningless.

6. chandler55

chandler55 Member

yea but the american dollar is going down the drain so...

7. GoldenArmsPR

GoldenArmsPR New Member

some of the press is pooping on transformers saying it made only 67 million on the weekend even though it opend on tuesday. but pirates of the carrabian opend on a wednesday and they say it made 115 million on the weekend? why dont they say transformers made 152 million? seems like the press dosnt want to believe it made that much

8. Blitzwing

Blitzwing Enigmatic by nature

Kinda irritates me that folk at work are mentioning that they want to see the TF movie to me (and most of them don't even know I'm a fan), yet all this buzz is being wasted because the movie isn't out for another 3 weeks. Grrr.
    The movie's going to be huge in the UK.
    They'd have broken even more records if they'd released it worldwide in the same week, although I guess that normally doesn't happen.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I went to see Ratatoie (sp?) last night and Transformers was sold out for the rest of the night.

I've seen it twice and have at least one more big screen viewing to go.

ROLL OUT!

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Just admit that people like the movie already.

11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Credit where credit's due: I was expecting a negative spin on these figures of some kind, but that one is at least original!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  12. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I'm not surprised at all - just wait until this is open in all of the foreign markets! :) 

13. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    ????? Dont say that man! Instead say: "we are looking at the next StarWars!" give it some gusto

14. Godconvoy

Godconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well there are many ways to judge the profit of a movie. Much more than production is spent on a film; such as marketing. But over all just like any good blockbuster should it should be making all money spent on the the movie. As for money making over all I'm sure all the merchandise that can and has been tied to a property such as this is doing quite well.

As for box office records, I just want something to smash Titanic out of top place. A good movie that is.

15. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Well, the inflation thing is kind of true though. Boxoffice Mojo's alltime box office records look very different when adjusted for inflation. Allthough they are only US totals, they certainly speak volumes as to how irrelevant these records really are. Most new movies aren't nearly as successful as most execs. would like to have us believe. Still, Transformers is definitely a hit, which all but guarantees 2+ sequels.

16. Ironhide546

News Credits:
    Movie sales being meaningless isn't negative spin, its true.

Each theatre charges different prices, ticket prices change, some people go see a movie 4 times.

Its just not accurate.

17. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If a person sees it 4 times, or if one theater charges more than another - so? The money still counts towards the gross, you think it shouldn't?

18. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Accurate to what? It's straight dollars and cents. This isn't politics. It's did the movie sell tickets or didn't it. Haters can hate the movie six ways 'til Sunday, but the one thing they can't take away is $152 Million worth of tickets sold in the first week.

19. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Not trying to start a fight, or hate on the film, but why does anyone care how much money it makes? Its not like any of us are getting returns on it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people aren't seeing the film because its good...they're seeing it because their memories of the cartoon are good.

20. Ironhide546

News Credits:

Yeah but if Bill Gates bought 5 billion tickets to Dead or Alive, would that make it a "success" and the best blockbuster ever? To the studio maybe... but how could you even compare that to other movies?

All gross really means anything to is the people making money off of it, they don't care about how that money got made or the specifics. But to use it as a guage of success, popularity, etc, it isn't perfectly accurate, thats all. Those numbers don't really mean or say anything to me.

And theres really no better way to do it though, even if you just counted ticket sales, that still wouldnt account for differences of prices making more people go, people buying multiples, etc... so Im not really complaining or advocating anything.

Its just trying to get to the point of what these numbers mean. And I LOVED the movie and saw it 3 times so that has nothing to do with it.