15 year old killed by police over pellet gun.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zero Prime, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:

Police assisted suicide.

Exactly what i meant earlier. The kid wanted to die, but didn't have the balls to just do it himself. In my mind, this is just as bad as people who go out and kill a bunch of people just to later turn the gun on himself... he's a coward, too afraid to die alone.

Except in this case he left his victims alive and now they have to deal with killing a 15 year old.

2. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is scary, Im no older than that kid.

3. Boo

Ebay:
    Really? For some reason i thought you were older than that. :peoples: 

4. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

Well my opinion is that the SWAT dude should have shot him in the leg not in his head EVEN IF HE AIM at HIM Since SWAT STAND FOR Special weapon and TACTICS

the tactics is not to kill him but to hurt him so he dont do anything bad.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    maybe you were thinking of me... I'm 26...

6. rattrap007

News Credits:
    still the kid could shoot the SWAt guy in the face and kill him. They are properly trained for things like this. They did what was right. I'm behind the cop 100%

7. Boo

Ebay:
    No Ratty, i wasn't thinking about you. I just seriously thought the other Ratty was older, too.:lol 

And Optimus_Prime84, I'm not SWAT and I've never even fired a real gun, but I don't think your suggestion is realistic. Idealistic, yes, but not realistic. You shoot to kill, or don't shoot at all.

8. TSFC

TSFC Banned

1.) It would've been impossible to hit the kid anywhere but main torso. They're trained to shoot the largest bodymass, not the head, arms, or legs. (Too tricky and level of failure is at 99%)

2.) Cops are required to remove and use their firearm following police training. (I.E. can't yank it out of the holster, aim and pop someone.) They literally have to get into a stance of sorts, line up the target, make sure it's lined, then pull the trigger. How do I know this? A friend of mine was an intern for the city police and got a chance to train at the State Police training center here in town. A cop can be permanently punished (I.E. fired among other things) for not following procedure to the T. In fact, they proved my friend wrong, they gave him a plastic knife and said "Come at me. You'll kill me before I can fire off a shot." Sure enough, 3 out of 3. He would've killed the cop had it not been a training exercise. There's no way in hell (unless the cop cheated) that he could've hit the kid anywhere but stomach, chest, or back. Or he'd have to be the best damn shot in the world.

3.) One thing that gets me is, in all news articles I've read, they said he aimed the pellet gun at a Police Officer, and that a SWAT Member fired on the kid. I don't know about you, but that sounds like there was clearly more than one Police personnel involved, and the SWAT guy took the shot and no one else. Here's the problem....did he have the greenlight to fire on the kid? Or did he just shoot him and got it over with? If the parents can even prove an inkling otherwise...they could sue and win.

4.) When he had the pellet gun aimed at his neck, why not shoot him in the arm or leg then? That would've been the perfect time (and enough time) to set up the shot and just wound him. Hell, I don't know about you but if a piece of metal tore a hole in my flesh the size of Texas...I'd be dropping that gun. Either from the force or the "OH GOD! OH GOD! IT HURTS! SUMBITCH!"

5.) They said other students were harassing and tormenting him, leading up to this situation. The parents will sue the school for not keeping an eye on the kids. which in a way, I see the parents point. No, a teacher should'nt raise your child..that's your job, however they do have the right to reprimand and take control of a situation. When they don't do that, they're not doing their job to the full extent. And please don't tell me otherwise. (We both know a teacher can do more than they claim.)

All in all..I feel bad for the kid because he was emotionally disturbed and he lost his life. I feel bad for the family because they lost their baby (I don't care what age he is, he's their little boy, their baby.) I feel bad for the cops involved in the shooting of the kid (although I feel we might hear more come out on the newswire down the line.)

What a terrible situation. This world really is going to hell in a handbasket.

9. rattrap007

News Credits:
    i'm i the only one who noticed he was 15 and in the 8th grade? He was probably held back a few times. Most 8th graders are 13-14. 15 seems a little old. He could practically drive himself to middle school..

10. TSFC

TSFC Banned

8th: 13
    9th: 14
    10th: 15
    11th: 16
    12th: 17

Yeah, most likely he was held back, however, he could've started school later depending on his birthday.

If that's what happened, then it's no fault of his own. Still does it really matter if he was held back or not? Seriously. Other than perhaps the other kids tormented him about it (we don't know, it's a guess). Overall though...who cares? He's dead now. Let him rest.

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Surprised it's taken this long in the thread to get the "shoot them in the leg" comment. To anyone that thinks that is feasible, go to a firing range and put a few rounds into paper. See how well you do, then throw adrenaline and a non-controlled environment into it. Granted an officer should be trained for the experience, however most of that training is aimed towards protecting everyone, not just the guy that's threatening.

12. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Let me teach you what would happen in the U.S. if that happened. The shooter would be sued for a shit load for maiming a person and failure to follow his duties. As a Law Enforcement oficer I can tell you that we are required to shoot to kill, not injure. We are also not allowed to give warning shots. In training you loose points if you hit the shoulder. You must hit center mass or the head. The SWAT member did his job and did it well. I salute him and have him in my prayers because it will be on his mind for a while.

As for the family going to sue, I'm sure they will as I stated earlier. Will they win, as JUX said, No. If they do it will be a tragidy of justice. Even if the parents notified the police that it might be a fake gun that doesn't matter. It looks real and the barrell was pointed at an officer's face. End of story.

13. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

I disagree, suicide is not a courageous way to end your life. I will admit it must take tons of will power to kill yourself, but will power doesn't equal courage. That is to say will power and courage are not mutually inclussive.

14. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Okay. You shoot him in the leg. But, he's still alive, and he still has a weapon in his hand, which still makes him just as much of a threat as when he was standing up.

I know what SWAT stands for, but I've always thought a better definition was "We don't fuck around."

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

the job of the swat, was to disable him, and a leg, nor arm disables him, it gives him the chance to get off another shot, and the perp, won't aim for a leg, he'll aim for a head, even if they don't, i don't think i would want to take the risk of him killing me if my shot doesn't disable him, plus i bet he wasn't aiming for the head, i mean cops aren't prefect, he just ended up hitting his head.

also all do remember, cops are not perfect nor are swat, or any other law enforcement, like every other person in every other job, they just want to get there day over with so they can go home to there family, like you and me, and every one else, don't forget, people work for money, so they can feed there families, and a dead man/woman does not earn a pay check.

16. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Amen

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i don't blame the cop at all. he wanted to live he wanted to go home to his family, that's all.

18. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Isn't this what tasers are for?

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just realized there are 2 Rattraps.

20. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I would have to say that in this case, the SWAT officer performed his job flawlessly.