139th birthday of Santos Dumont, the other inventor of the airplane

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Overlord Balder, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Now, that's just a funny thing I thought I should share with you guys.

Santos Dumount was a Brazilian inventor, he made countless studies and projects on aircrafts, in specific, airplanes and dirigbles.

In 1906, he flew the 14-Bis, a revolutionary flying machine, considered by many the inventor of the plane. Then he built another revolutionary aircraft, the Demoiselle, which was mass-produced and changed the aircraft business forever due its speed, practicity and security.

The funny thing about him is that Brazilians and french both consider him the actual inventor of the heavier than air aircraft, while the rest of the world thinks of the Wright Brothers as the inventors. In particular, because his aircraft was self-propelled in the air, while the Wright Brother's had to be "launched" in the air to fly [and because Dumount's first flight had more public attention at the time].

Regardless of who came first, the man was a utter genius of the business nonetheless.

In fact, he allowed people to take his drawings and schematics free of charge, he believed aircraft would bring a new era of prosperity to humanity, he didn't even mind taking his credit for its creation.

Unfortunately, upon seeing his precious flying machines being used in combat, Dumount was overwhelmed with regret and guilt and killed himself, remorseful of how his machines were being used. He was 59 years old at the time.

[​IMG]

A picture of him. He kinda looked like a sane Nikola Tesla.

[​IMG]

The man himself flying his legendary aircraft.

Just an interesting bit of history I thought you lads would like to know.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The wright brothers flew first no one denies this , just as no one denies Santos was the first to fly with a wheeled undercarriage.

The wright brother invented the first successful heavier than air aircraft, Santos improved upon it in a critical way.

Enough praise and glory to go around in my book.

That said Santos like many inventors is over shadowed by those who invented what he improved upon.

3. Overlord Balder

Problem here is the definition of "flew", since they had a catapult and his was self-propelled.

So I don't think he "improved" upon the Wright Brother's design because that would techinically put him below them, so I consider both the inventors.

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    You're wrong on both counts. The Wright brothers flew first. This guy just added wheels to their design.

5. Overlord Balder

No, no, the DEFINITION of flight, the wright brothers' plane needed a catapult to fly, Dumont's could lift on its own, the thing is, the FAI established that for the invention to count, the aircraft should have to take flight on its own.

So it depends on which definition of "flew" you're using, the FAI definition or the more common definition. That's what I meant.

Dumont also designed the 15-Bis with absolute no relation to the Wright Brothers, so he didn't "copy". And seriously, "just added wheels" is a simplification.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The FAI Defintion at the time was little more than pure politics in favor of France's favorite.

I give Dumont credit for what he did but thats it he was beaten by the Wright brothers into the air, he certainly made a more practical design work, no doubt about that but he wasn't the first into the air.

to say anything more is splitting hairs

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :bday 

Hopefully he's up their in the sky. :p 

8. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    The 1903 flight did not use a catapult. The Wrights designed the catapult to help with takeoffs for later aircraft when flying the less-dense Ohio air. There is no doubt that the Wrights flew first. If you argue that because they used a rail, they didn't "fly", then you may want to also talk to Bill Clinton about the definition of the word "is".

9. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I did not have sexual relations with that woman

10. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    Wut?

11. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

never heard of this guy