1300 dead

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sign, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Sign

Sign Well-Known Member

In the little news montage at the start of AOE one newswoman says "over thirteen-hundred dead".

I get that this probably isn't a final number since it would take a damn long time to find and confirm every death in the Battle of Chicago. But 1300? Maybe a hundred times that minimum. So much got wrecked and later on we don't even see any civilians at all so 1300 is pretty laughable.

Was it some kind of attempt to not make things seem too dark? I don't know.

2. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    dude, 1300 people is A LOT. especially that their goal wasn't killing the people it was capturing them for slave labor

3. Sign

Sign Well-Known Member

I really don't think it's many at all. Considering just how much destruction there was. Entire streets filled with people were massacred, buildings were being destroyed left and right, those air defender things would have picked off a good load of people.

4. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

I duno how many people live in one high-rise building. 1300 seems kinda low to me as well.

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    It might be a little low, sure. But the number also would still be a 4 digit number, in my opinion. Chicago's a big place and a relatively small portion of it is what got attacked, and the attack itself was not what you'd call "overwhelming."

6. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I took the Chicago invasion as what sentinel ordered: a city-wide seize. They honestly didn't even need to destroy the city and vaporize it's citizens, but being that they're decepticons, they probably just thought "let's show these insects who's the superior race" and therefore took comfort in wrecking our shit and killing us left and right; but the objective wasn't to destroy/kill us...just scare us out and keep us out.

7. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    They weren't aiming to kill everyone... Just say, hey we're in charge now. So 1,300 is a reasonable number

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Unless there was a massive evacuation before the battle started, 1300 is a remarkably safe destruction of a major metropolis.

9. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

In comparison, this is far less than the death tolls of the Pearl Harbor and 9/11 attacks. Even though the Decepticons kept many people alive for slave labor, I'd say that they also caused more destruction than either of those attacks just based on the fact that it was a city-wide disaster. Frankly, the number of casualties should be higher, but 1,300 is still a lot of people.

10. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    While 1,300 is a lot, when you consider the overall damage caused to Chicago, I think that number should higher especially considering the Decepticons were blasting humans left and right.

11. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    It's essentially the equivalent of 9/11.

But instead of two SURPRISE ATTACKS resulting in busy buildings being dropped to the ground during a weekday morning, it was scattered attacks localized around the downtown corridor of Chicago at night, which is mostly vacant overnight when the initial attacks took place.

The number is perfectly realistic.

If you're grasping at straws for "plotholes" then look elsewhere.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I dunno man, if you want to make 9/11 comparisons, 9/11 was a surprise strike on two major office towers, with some chance for evacuation before their collapse.

The Chicago attack in DOTM was a targeted, coordinated invasion of an entire city, with missile strikes hitting numerous buildings, combined with the deliberate targeting of humans fleeing by Decepticon ground forces. We might not see a lot of those buildings collapsing, but the damage is far from superficial and we see a lot of casualties on the ground, especially when Decepticon weapons don't seem to wound humans as much as evaporate them.

A city-wide bombing campaign or ground assault from ww2 might be a better analogy in this case, and I have a hard time believing a number of deaths as low as 1300.

13. Jolt the volt

Jolt the volt The volt

But then why in the scene before the autobots return, a decepticon drone ship spotted humans and hunted after them, like the decepticons wanted everyone dead?

14. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Snyder said around 5,000 died in man of steels final battle. And then you can look at the marvel movies final battle death toll and it really is low aswell. 1,300 people really isn't a small number. Hell, the US only had 5,000 some odd combat deaths in the war on terror. These really are not that small of numbers people.

15. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I stand by my assertion.

Most of that assault took place overnight when downtown Chicago is all but empty and we really only saw a few runners picked off in isolated incidents rather than mass exterminations. Yeah, downtown Chicago has some nightclubs and high-rises, but it's mostly a ghost town once the Chicago Board of Trade closes and anyone who's actually lived there can attest to that.

But, yeah...the bodycount is reasonably close enough to compare the most lethal acts of domestic terrorism/war on American soil (Pearl Harbor, 9/11, The Battle of Chicago, TWO of the top three being in movies directed by Michael Bay, btw) and for that comparison to withstand scrutiny.

16. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm not the biggest movie fan, but I agree 1,300 is plenty reasonable.

17. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean it might be kinda hard to pinpoint an accurate number because of disintegration and wind might of scattered the ashes.

18. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Take into account the presumed number of people who bailed when the Decepticons started showing up.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Point of reference:
    2,606 deaths in the twin towers on Sept. 11.

1300 seems INCREDIBLY low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kjmlp6_2v4

But then again, it might be hard to count people that were completely vaporized.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Maybe it's one of those Easter egg sort of things where the number 1,300 has some sort of meaning to the production team but we just haven't figured out why the number is important.

You know like how A113 shows up in so many animated movies and cartoons because it's an Easter egg for a classroom number at California Institute of the Arts.