120 htz, the Bay tamer.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by megaxz01, Oct 16, 2008.

1. megaxz01

megaxz01 Transformer up and comer

News Credits:
    Yea - yea - yea, it sounds like an odd name for a topic, but bear with me...

Did anyone here want to make out the fight scenes better in the Transformer movie?

Was Michael Bays shaky cam too much to make anything out?

Well I give you advice that makes shaky cam scenes much more viewable.

120 htz.

When I recently bought my 52 inch Samsung 1080p, 120 htz HDTV, I was anxious to see TF on it.

What I noticed, and other people who have seen TF on Bluray, via 1080p and 120 htz, is that with 120 htz on, it puts all that shakiness in check.

Don't ask me how, I'm not that tech savy. I can swear to you, that I saw each of the final battles a heck of a lot better.

With 120 htz on, it seemed to slow down all the shakiness, and the Brawl fight kicks solid ass because of it. You could make out every little detail.

When Ironhide slams a car to the side to make way for Sam to run under a transforming and approaching Blackout in mission city, I could actually see it, hence why I was able to give a clear description, when I had no idea what was happening before.

So the best way to watch TF, is not only in 1080p, but 120 htz if you want to hurt that shaky cam where it counts.

120 htz, is now dubbed, "The Bay Tamer." Or you can call it, "The Shaky Cam Killer."

2. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    No way I'm paying cash to see blurred CG.

Wait...:S

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I still don't get this shaky cam nonsense people talk about. I saw the movie in theatres and watched it many times at home and never had any problems. (then again, I sat near the end of the theatre, so I wasn't flinging my head around trying to see the whole gigantic screen)

4. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I think it's due to the blurriness of the CG in the RBFATE, making it harder to make out certain characters.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had an easier time watching on DVD (not hi-def) than in theaters, I think because with the smaller screen, there's less with my eyes flailing all over to try to follow the action.

6. bhaalistik

bhaalistik Shockwave's Love-child

The 120htz refresh rate keeps up with the fast movement on screen so there is little 'pixel smearing' which makes the image look nice and crisp.

The flat screens with that feature are so worth the extra cash...glad they will be affordable once I'm ready to buy (by that time OLED will be out though :rolleyes2  )

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I never had a problem either.

8. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I actually don't like the 120htz feature. Really bothers me to be honest, because it tries to make stuff look too real...I need that fakeness.

9. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

But lots and lots of people did. There's endless posts about it. It subjective, not nonsense.*

In all honesty I suspect its a combination of various things, rather than just an aversion to the kind of wobbly hand-held camera associated with Greengrass' Bourne films - the frenetic editing, the motion blur, the choice of shot size and angle all combined to make it a bit of a viewing issue for some folks.

*Just to clarify - I'm aware that it wasn't you Draven who described it as nonsense*

10. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    its true, when you buy a 1080p LCD, you will see one priced at a certain amount and then you will see almost the exact same model for $200 to $300 more. Its because of the 60 hz and 120 hz difference. It makes a huge difference

I saw a demo of POTC3 playing at Future Shop on 120 hz and it looks TOO REAL in a way but I was wondering why the movements are so much smoother on there compared to mine which is only 60 hz

I'd pay more for the upgrade when I buy my new TV

11. megaxz01

megaxz01 Transformer up and comer

News Credits:
    Yea, when I first saw the 120 htz TV's, I kept telling myself, "man that looks too odd for me to own one of those." Then after seeing a couple more movies play on it in Bluray, I kept telling myself, "man I can only imagine what Transformers would look like in 120 htz 1080p."

Not only are you getting a crisp image with the 1080p, but doubling the refresh rate, cleans up the image even more.

Everytime I watch a Bluray on this TV, my friends keep saying everything looks like a british broadcast.

Ever since watching in 120 htz, it is hard to go back, as everything feels slow. It was a worthy investment, but I cannot wait until this is cannon in all HDTV's as they come down in price, so everyone can enjoy it.

12. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well then you must have perfect vision. For those of us have not so perfect vision we must deal with motion blurrs on top of shaky cam.

13. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    :(  i wish i could afford these things.

14. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    That is the specific reason why I didn't like it, plus it really screws with my head.

15. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Then you have the fact that not all Blu-rays are created equal.
    Iron Man only plays at 24htz on my 60htz Samsung Series 5 1080p