11 minutes of SPEED RACER

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ironhide546, May 8, 2008.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I already like the movie so the only reason I am dismissing his comments is because I don't agree. However, a very common thing people do is make up their minds about a movie before actually watching it. If someone wasn't willing to pay for ticket to see a movie and instead steals it, then that sends up a rad flag in my head that he pretty much already figured it would suck. Some people get pleasently surprised and admit to being wrong, but not a lot.

2. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Totally and utterly agree with you. :thumbs2: 

3. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I saw Speed Racer last night and was almost completely blown away. I thought the movie looked absolutely amazing. The characters were all cast really well and the performances were all pretty spot on. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the kung fu. It all just looked so staged. Everything else was really great. When I was a kid, the Mach 5 was the greatest car ever. Now, thanks to the movie, it is again!

4. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I want the DVD now!!!!! I drool at what extras the Wachowski bros may have on it.

5. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope the dvd has a few extended/deleted race moments that didn't make it in.

I wish there was a whole 10 second scene of Speed going crazy in the rainbow colored "zone." Not the checkered zone, the one before it when he does a spin, sideways flip, drives backwards then does another jump towards the camera. Some of the coolest parts are such a tease :p 

Also, I just realized that the Homing Bird wasn't in the movie at all. It isn't that cool, but I just remembered.

6. TILALLR1

DVD ?!?!? You mean Blu-ray don't you. This movie is going to be off the hook in HD.

7. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

Hopefully I'll have bought a Blu-ray player by the time it's released.

8. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Just came back from the cinemas.

Iron Man may have been an awesomely cool movie, but Speed Racer was just an awesomely fun movie. It was just so completely over the top and utterly ridiculous that the only possible reaction is a hearty laugh.

The only slight drawback? My head is still spinning from the orgasm of colours that was the entire movie, and reality looks like grayscale right now.

9. Switch625

Yeah, you're right. They used all the other special gadgets except for that one. Odd that they'd go to the trouble of introducing it to not use it.

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

That tells me it was a scene that was cut, and will likely be included on the special edition version released for home viewing.

I've got to get to the theaters to see this again. One way or another.

11. Switch625

I want to go see it at IMAX but it isn't playing at the one here. That will either be really cool or will give me seisures.

To me, this movie was gold just for seeing the Mach 5 in action. I love that car!!

12. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

To the person who told this looked better in Imax on this thread

THANK YOU!

...I need high defiinition....

13. Night Flame

I wish I had the time to travel to the nearest IMAX that was showing this film. It's such a powerful visual movie that it's probably mind-blowing on an IMAX screen.

I hit it again today. It was even better the second time around. That last race, and the way they tie the entire movie into it, is so emotional. I mean, it just sucks you in and you tense up. I think I tensed up even more this time around knowing what was going to happen than I did the first time.

If I had unlimited time, I'd be camping in the theater to watch this thing until it leaves. So darned much fun.

14. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I saw Speed Racer tonight at the IMAX and really liked it. The movie was really well paced and the actors were great. The directors did a great job of getting you in Speed's world from the get go. So as the movie progresses, it really does not have the overbearing CGI feel like other movies do (SW prequels for example). The trailers did not do the movie justice since the racing clips overshadowed the story. I actually thought this movie was more fun than Iron Man. Unlike the final battle in Iron Man, the final race nicely wraps up everything in dramatic fashion.

Before I went I glanced over a review claiming the movie had too many plot lines. This is not true. There is some backstory and 2 minor subplots, that I recall, but the backstories are told quickly/creatively and the minor subplots clearly support the main story. You will not need to watch this a 2nd time to make sense of the story (POTC @ World's End for example).

Personal Highlights - Opening race of Speed breaking track record, the entire cross country race (including fight scenes and Speed jumping out of car at the finish), Racer X at end of movie.

I recommend this movie to anyone near an IMAX or who doesn't want to see Indiana Jones on opening weekend. If you watched Speed Racer as a kid, you will not be disappointed.

15. Night Flame

Did you miss that he didn't break the track record, letting off at the last second? To me it was one of the most important parts of the movie. It established his loyalty and respect for his brother in a solid, tangible way.

16. TILALLR1

I know, it was one of the best parts of the movie. Brought a tear to my eye.

17. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Well yeah! I did not want to spoil the intro (or other highlights I pointed out) for someone who did not see the movie yet (and did not go back in thread to see earlier posts). That is why I said 'breaking' track record not 'breaks' or 'broke'. :lolol 

To spoil my other highlights -

2) Speed does 'classic' Speed pose at the end of cross country race when he jumps out
    3) Racer X is indeed Speed's brother but chooses not to tell family

Low points -

Not enough Trixie.
    After movie I wanted to hit ever car on the way home while doing a 360.

18. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

I persuaded my wife to go watch a matinee showing with me today. After purchasing our tickets, we went into the theater 20 minutes early...only to discover that it was already playing! WTF? I went back outside and informed the manager what was going on; he ended up telling me they had changed the show times but didn't update the box office computers. And they weren't able to restart the movie.

So we ended up getting our money refunded as well as free passes, which we used to watch Iron Man instead.

I'm still not deterred...I'll be going to see Speed Racer sometime next week.

19. Night Flame

Oh, but what Trixie there was. Ricci in that greasy garage work getup?

And you weren't the only one wanting to drive crazy. I had to get myself under control after I went the second time when I caught myself doing 85 in a 65. It just gets into you the same way Crouching Tiger got into me the first time, when I came out of the theater feeling like I could just walk right up the wall on the outside of the building.