Minor/Repaint: 10th ANV Beast Wars Megatron v2

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Unicron9, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Well originally I went for just painting this figure in 5 shades of purple and a gloss finish, and I called it Cybertron form BW Megatron. I like to do different styles of painting and the goal on that was a factory look but detailed and shiny enough to pass as metal. FAIL apparently... In over 2 weeks it hadn't sold on Ebay with a BIN of $100 and I got a really nasty message from an Ebay member basically saying it would never sell because it sucked, lol.
    I took it down from Ebay and put about 30 minutes into adding some shading to some of the main purple colors, then gave it a few layers of dull coat.
    Now it looks more organic and sure can't pass for a cybertron mode, but maybe it looks better to the average human rather than being a matter of preference.
    I dunno.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Its like a deluxe scale masterpiece. I like this alot.

3. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

Wow. That's really messed up.

4. Butuman

Butuman Well-Known Member

This new paint scheme is honestly much more preferred than the previous glossy look. The amount of shading and attention to detail really catches the eye (unless that's just photoshop). This is my second favorite custom of yours behind that Depth Charge.

5. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Thanks!
    Huh?
    Thanks. I hope it is generally liked better than the glossy look. With the lighter shades on the purples it looks more like how I did my BW Bugs last year. Looks like with Beast Wars figures now I know what kind of paint jobs to avoid and what people dig more. :) 
    I only use photoshop to crop, assemble, and slightly lighten my photos. I never touch the actual figure pictured with it.

6. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

I liked the original but this does look better IMO it has a much more organic look to it which is exactly how BW Figures should be painted.
    It's not easy but sometimes you just have to ignore these "basement Crusaders" most will have little or no understanding of painting Organic's & the subtlety involved.

Fantastic work Mate :) 

7. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

I like it, yesssss... looks VERY Beast Wars. XD
    ... that being said, this isn't the one that needs you to bugger it with the CyberPlanet Key to activate the gimmick right?... [Gods, I have bad memories of that one... /whimper]

8. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

amazing paint apps buddy! This has got to be on the top of my fav list by you

9. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

that looks pretty damn good. nice shading.

10. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Thanks a lot guys. I kind of hate to admit it, but I think I like it better too. Gloss on non-metallic to get a shiny factory look just doesnt fit Beast Wars. If I wanted him to be cybertron mode in the first place, I should have done it in metallics. Flat with shading does work better with the colors I chose.
    Honored to get approval from you Spurt and Thyvipera.

11. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

awesome work!!

12. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1000x times better looking. The shading a extra details make THAT much difference IMHO.

13. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

It is a pretty vast difference for just around a half hour of work. I just went in originally with an idea for his paint style that fit what I wanted the figure to represent. Should have used metallics for that plan though. I do like it better now myself too.
    There are actually no extra details added though aside from eye highlights. I just added some lighter shades and sprayed it with flat clear coat.

14. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Perfect!
    Yesssss

15. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The differences are quite striking, and is what I was trying to point out multiple times prior. Finishes, shading, and overall placement of them make dramatic differences in the way a figure presents itself to others. The new version looks like there are 30+ hours of shading a detail added to it.

16. Ironkorr

Ironkorr Ironkorr Customs

Ebay:
    thats petty sweet

17. batmanprime

batmanprime Omega-con

Ebay:
    huh, I really liked the first concept. Maybe it would have been better with transmetal figure? IDK
    But it is pretty cool like this.

18. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Yeah I liked the whole concept I had at first too, but I should have used metallic paints for that. I already saw the figure as more of a cybertron mode than a BW season 1 update. My original goal was just to change his colors, give lots more detail and accuracy, and make him shinier.
    Before, liking it was a matter of preference. I decided to change it to something more generally likable, although it made him look too organic for the cybertron mode look.
    Thanks though man. Good to see someone else who liked what I was going for originally.

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Sweeeet!

20. Ruminus

Ruminus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really dig it with the flat coat, but your gloss version was nothing to sneeze at! Ignore the haters man, they just don't get what's involved in painting a figure. In fact trying to do a factory clean job is often harder than doing something with washes and dry brushing because you can hide a lot of bad masking or other minor problems with those techniques.