Kenji Saito Discusses The Birth Of Transformers: Devastation

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Dec 28, 2015.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    Soon after getting my PS4, I rented this game and it wasn't as bad as I thought. It's not the greatest Transformers game to come out, but not the worst either. But if I had to choose between playing this game for a day or Fall of Cybertron, I'd probably choose FOC. I recommend the game, but only as a rental.

3. MattOnCybertron

MattOnCybertron Well-Known Member

This is a different beast altogether and I think a middle ground between both would be ideal. In WfC/FoC I never felt like vehicle modes were useful aside from faster transportation, whereas comboing while transforming back and forth felt rad in Devastation. I was just a huge sucker for the G1 aesthetics too. IMO the game play "feel" here was truer to Transformers than the High Moon games, I liked them and beat both but they're arguably a little too Gears of War-sy.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  5. MegaDolrailer

MegaDolrailer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting. I wonder what ideas were too crazy to implement in the game. Cause there's already alot of crazy stuff in it, it's one of the reasons why I love the game so much!

6. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Well said, one issue I had with other TF games are developers treat the robot and vehicle modes as totally separate things when they are both part of the whole character. Platinum made flipping from one to the other mid fight and back again pure joy!

For me, this is far and away the best TF game I've played (the only one I'm keeping too). The others all left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm glad to finally have a TF game to enjoy and that shouldn't take away from others enjoyment of the earlier games. Different styles for different tastes and all.

Just gotta wrap up 100%ing it now!

7. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    Got this one for half price and I feel I overpaid. It's boring. Every fight is the same approach. Vehicle mode bash. Follow with vehicle mode attack. Follow with standard attack chain until you can vehicle attack again. If your chain is broken, back to vehicle mode and do it again. Same boring environment over and over. Cast is sorely limited and to only 5 vanilla Autobots. No multiplayer? In a game in 2015? I completed chapter 1 or however it's broken up. I've fought Devastator twice, three pairs of Constructicons and Megatron, I want to say twice? Bored to death. The voices are the silver lining. Starscream and Wheeljack are sort of awful though. There has to be someone out there who could have pulled those off much better. The visual presentation is nice just so repetitive. I recently bought Dark of the Moon and Rise of the Dark Spark too. As bad as DOTM is, at least the environments vary. I hope that if this gets a sequel, it is a massive improvement.

8. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    So it basically was what most people said it was....

A cheap button mashing filler.

Now a sequel to FOC could've had the same nostalgia factor but with MORE effort! I've got both next gen Consoles( XB1 & PS4). But as long as Activision is in charge of making TF games on a shoestring budget, I doubt I'll ever play one again save for the WFC game I still own on PS3.

9. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    This is essentially the problem I had with the game. While the Cybertron games were "aim and fire" all the time, I feel they had more variety in terms of playable characters and the environments. And heck, you could, obviously, use guns in the Cybertron games and they would do damage. The guns in Devastation didn't seem to do that much damage to enemies. Like I said, Devastation is a decent game but it's more of a rental or borrow from a friend sort of game.

10. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. That's what _you_ keep saying.

11. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Did you play it on Magnus difficulty?? Most people who run through a game leave the settings alone. Not me

12. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    From the article. It sounds like platinum had more crazy ideas that Hasbro was not ok with.

And playing the game recently I can speculate what that could be since there are quite a few game design curveballs it throws at the player. Like the overhead view thing, and the super sized decepticons.
    Or maybe this comment was just addressing character behavior.
    I can see needing to reign in Optimus Primes aggression to preserve that aspect of him fighting to protect others. Taking no enjoyment in carnage. Although the live action movies don't seem to get any of this scrutiny.

Anyway. I'm in Love with devastation. Its a completely different beast from Fall of cybertron which I also enjoyed. That platinum flavor is very refreshing.

Reading that Kenji Saito was a part of capcoms clover studio that worked on the viewtiful joe games and more recently metal gear. Really does explain why this feels more like a proper older generation video game. Than the exploitive modern stuff I get cynical about these days.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  13. Cykill 1

Cykill 1 Well-Known Member

Isn't this the guy that sang Ricky Martin's song She Bangs?

14. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Nope that's his long lost cousin brother in-law (on his mother side of the family).

15. MegaDolrailer

MegaDolrailer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought it was Activision though? i guess Hasbro makes more sense

16. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    still havent bought this game BUT WILL BE for sure. However my biggest complaint on this game is the lack of playable characters. Both AUTOBOT AND DECEPTICONS

17. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Most of Platinums games usually have 2 or 3 playable characters.

18. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem with the limited number of playable characters - they gave us one of each standard type: a heavy, a light attack, etc. My complaint was the massive reuse of the same Deceptions over and over again. If I have to fight the Insecticons one more time I'm going to throw up.

19. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im not a gamer, the last console I bought was PS2 and last game I bought was TRANSFORMERS Call of the future which is by far my favorite transformer game so far. That had tons of playable characters , both Autobot and Decepticons. Is 2-3 playable characters the norm today for games ? That sucks if it is.

Still going to buy this game and someday a console that it works on LOL.

20. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Was I lying...?