$100 Suggestion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Vader, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

A little briefing before I ask my question..

I've been collecting for a little over a year now, and I pretty much just stick to whatever is current in stores. I've only mail ordered once (Alternity Megs), and the most I've ever spent on one TF is $65 (for Alt Megs w/shipping last summer). So I'm not a super serious collector, but I'm thinking I'm going to treat myself to one pricey TF a year.

I'm giving myself a $100 cap (not including shipping), and looking for suggestions. This is really a question for some of you guys/gals who are big into the pricey imports.

As of right now I'm leaning towards that Faith Leader Prime, but I'm on the fence because of some of the QC issues I've read on this site about that co. A close second is that HOS Prime train.

If anyone can talk me out of either of those, I'd like to hear from you. Or if you have another TF in that range that you'd suggestion (other than Beast Wars stuff), I'd appreciate that too. I've read the HOS Feedback Thread and other than a loose shoulder joint that seems to be fixed by tightening a screw, people seem to be very happy with him. I'm just not sure that's worth my one big purchase of the year.

I'm not really interested in spending more than $100 + shipping, so something that costs $130 isn't an option.

2. AMG

AMG Old School

Personally I would put the $100 bill aside and wait for MP Grimlock to be released.

3. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could blow your money on either FansProject's Warbot or Munitioner/Explorer.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

US MP DVD Prime goes for roughly $100, doesn't it?

5. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would try to find one of the MP Prime versions. You should be able to get one for $100 or less.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    If you have the classics ULTRA MAGNUS I would say City Commander.

If you have Classic figures in general go with Defender (FP Springer)

The HOS OP is a good one.

If you have an Energon Bruticus go for the FP upgrade (Swindle and Blastoff)

At retail....MP Grimlock is a nice one.

That's all i got...amazing how the third party companies are producing more exciting products than hasbro at the moment.

7. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 2 figures I'd recommend most have already been mentioned by AMG and Kunsanagi.....MP Prime and Grimlock. For around $100, MP Optimus is probably the best figure on the market period. Grimlock is right up there too, but to get him for $100 or less you'll have to wait for his retail release (as AMG said).

If I had to suggest something else, I'd say that the Henkei Ghost Starscream is really nice (and can be had for less than $100 now), and the new issue Encore Metroplex will give you your money's worth.

8. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

$100 covers 2 HA figures (Barricade and Bumblebee are good, and Skids is actually better than his Deluxe incarnation), or you could try to find a MP Megatron or Henkei Megatron

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    something from fansproject, or an official mp prime, i won't trust a downscaled ko of that figure

10. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed definitely MP Grimlock, if not Faith Leader Prime

11. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Appreciate the suggestions so far.

The US MP Grimmy is definitely in my future in addition to my $100 purchase.

I considered the US MP Prime for about a week, but there's just something about it that doesn't look right--maybe the short smokestacks. I'd be interested in the Tak MP Prime, but I think that's out of budget.

MP Megs would be nice, but the cheapest I've seen that is $135 before shipping.

I'm a little bummed at all the QC knocks on the co that's making that Faith Leader. I love the look, size, and two heads.

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you have 100 bucks, pick up some Henkei toys.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    If you're only gonna spoil yourself this once, or maybe just this once until a long time from now, I'd get any version of MP Optimus Prime. It's easily one of the best figures ever and it's Optimus Prime in his true, original self.

I would suggest HOS Prime, or Warbot Defender, but if you gotta have one pricey, hard to find, holy grail product - you gotta go with MP Prime.

14. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

As I sit here on my couch watching the Phillies win again, and browsing the net for a toy worthy of my Benny I realized I completely forgot about the Fans Project Classics G3 trailer.

It's not quite $100, but I think that might be what I end up getting.

15. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'd like a MP Prime, but the "perfect edition" is double what I'm budgeting here. As cool as he looks, I don't like toys that much.

I guess I'm just looking for something off the norm to buy (off the norm meaning that I can't drive to Target and buy it).

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I have mine posted on Ebay for 100 INCLUDING the MP-1 trailer.

17. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could buy a loose Hasbro MP Prime and get the repro stacks. I bought my Prime at retail but that's essentially what I did. You can purchase the stacks for about $10 on eBay if I remember correctly.

If you don't like that option get Alternity Convoy to battle your Megatron if you don't already have it.

The upcoming Fansprojects Munitioner and Explorer look to be good as well. Warbot Defender is awesome so I know those two will be great as well.

18. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    As I said in the KMC review thread, if you're not accustomed to spending $60+ on toys, you may enjoy an MP figure more, or even an FP toy. That's not to say the HOS Prime isn't worth the $85, because I think he definitely is, but my reasoning was that if you haven't spent that much on a single toy before, then you probably don't have any Masterpiece figures, or any of the FansProject stuff, and I'd put MP figures (and City Commander) at the top of any "luxury TFs" list. You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions - MP Prime is worth it, MP seekers are worth it, Springer is worth it. Faith Leader looks like it would be worth it, and the concept certainly is worth it to me, but I want to see in-hand reviews on the quality - after reading what people went through with the ark playset, I'm skeptical. The G3 Trailer looks nice and has a worthy pedigree, it just isn't my cup 'o tea. If you're tempted by HOS Prime, I'd say go for it - it is as cool as it looks for those of us that think it looks cool.

...and don't forget the stuff from older lines either - if you've only been keeping up with current releases for the past year, there's a lot of stuff from the last 4 years (Classics, Alts, etc) that has become a bit expensive, and probably won't be getting any cheaper, and don't get us started on anything older than that...

19. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics G3 Trailer Set - by Fansproject

....and you'll still have enough change left over to get something else nice.

20. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    If you really want something unique you could commission one of the radicons to do a custom. I bet you could get a pretty decent deluxe piece for 100