100 Spider-Man Covers

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Ramberk Magnus, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

The Hero Initiative, a non-profit that raises money to help comic book creators in need, put together a project where a 100 artists each contribute a new cover illustration to Ultimate Spider-Man #100. The new covers will be auctioned one-by-one to raise funds.

Comic Book Resources has put an almost complete gallery of all the covers. Check it out here.

It's a pretty cool project and its fun to see how all of these artists depict spidey. Especially those that have never drawn spidey before. Like Neil Gaiman!

We even get a new McFarlane spidey illustration. Although, it just looks like a variation of his Spider-Man #1 cover.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    theres some cool images there...like andy kuhns, clayton crains, al milgroms back, and mike deodato. but what the hell...one has wolverine on it...just by himself...how stupid is that....and one has hulk...WTF....and one has MJ's backside....well, thats ok...but some of em bug me...cool thing though....

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

awesome....there's a lot of awesome covers too...some dont look right, like Wolverine or Hulk on the cover...

McFarlane's cover looks really good. Love the Joe Benitez 2, J. Scott Campbell, Mike Deodato Jr. 1 & 2, Ron Frenz 2, Ron Garney 1, and Tim Vigil covers

4. Ramberk Magnus

The Hulk one makes sense because Herb Trimpe was a famous Hulk artist, so it's just a nod to the character he is most familiar with. Herb drew Spidey in the back cover.

I don't know what Ed McGuinness was thinking with his covers. He drew two covers and neither one has Spider-Man on it!

I think the Terry Moore illustration is very sweet because on the back cover he illustrates an older Gwen Stacey with the caption "miss you." A lot of illustrators give MJ and Gwen love! :) 

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

but at least the Herb cover, it has a little spidey on it, even if it's being eaten my the Hulk.

6. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Wow, that's really cool. Great to see work from artists whose work haven't really been seen in a while, like Tom Lyle, Sal Buscema, and the like.

My only disappointment was that it turned out Ditko wasn't able to contribute a cover for some reason (Was going bythis link where it initially sounded like Ditko was gonna be one of the artists until much much later it was confirmed that he wasn't).

7. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Yeah, plus he shows Spider-Man on the back cover, too.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Terry Moore's rocks!

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Jae Lee. ORGASM

10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seeing McFarlane draw Spidey again is a beautiful thing.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I knew I posted this already. - http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=121474

Anyway, it's a great idea. I love how Tim Seeley does one. Finally nice to see him on a high ranking book getting some recognition.

I love all those covers and I hope the HI puts out a book of all the covers for those of us that can't quite afford the prices these will go for. And actually I'll be ay NY Con where they are auctioning off one of the covers I want. maybe I'll see if I can snag it.

12. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love a book of all of those covers.
    Some are great.

And Jae Lee's may be the one piece of his work I actually like (though it does reinforce the fact he thinks black has to be on EVERYTHING)

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man I wish McFarlane would draw a regular Spidey title again. His Amazing Spidey run is a big reason I started reading comics in the late eighties.

14. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I so want that Arthur Suydam cover. Do you guys know if there is going to online auctions for those locations?

15. Ramberk Magnus

The covers are being auctioned off at conventions. I think you have to be at the convention. The only online component to the fundraiser is that the last 20-40 covers will be sold on eBay.

16. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

If anyone bothered to follow the links, you could read that the first 41 covers will be autioned off at conventions. The remaining 59 will be sold via eBay,

To see what will be sold where, check the link I posted at the top of this page.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Highlights

- Arthur Suydam - Very...bizarre. But in a good way! I'd love to see thaat properly inked and coloured.
    - Bob Hall
    - Dan Brereton
    - Derec Donovan
    - David Ross - Bonus points for drawing a cover that actually had something to do with the comic.
    - Joe Benitez (both)
    - Joseph Linsner 2, back and front
    - Rick Leonardi
    - Terry Moore

Low Points

- Alan Weiss - Who or what is that behind Spider-Man, exactly?
    - Bill Mithcell - Might look better with the traditional costume, but the pose looks awkward.
    - Chris Bachalo Back 2 - From the thumbnail, I honestly thought it was a giant Venom head with bat wings, flying around holding an axe.
    - Ed McGuiness - Don't, like, put Spider-Man on a Spider-Man cover or anything...
    - Greg Land - Beyond trying to figure out who he traced for this one, I'm perplexed by Black Cat's anatomically impossible butt/groin.
    - James A Owen - Actually didn't mind this one until I saw Spidey's horribly deformed hands (especially the right).
    - Jae Lee - Having flashbacks to DW TF/GI Joe. Someone take away that man's ink.
    - Joe Quesada - Kinda bony Spider-Man there...

18. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Definitely interesting to see so many unique, specially-made Spider-Man covers all in one place. Like others, I'm sort of bugged by the ones that don't feature Spider-Man AT ALL...like, why even include those?

I was also under the impression that these were supposed to be covers to Ultimate Spider-Man #100....so shouldn't they have some sort of either (a) relevance to the USM arc, or (b) illustrate some timeless, iconic aspect of Spider-Man...? I mean, yeah, it's cool to just have a cover with Mary Jane or whatever....but would these artists REALLY pick something like that for one of the "milestone" #100s...?

Anyway, really great work - I particularly liked the more light-hearted ones (like Frank Quietly #2).

19. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Truer words have never been spoken.