10 Whys on Gas Prices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShortCircuit, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I dont believe ANY of it. One word Equiliberate. BS.

Look how many times they mention "equiliberate". Man just reading this makes me pissed. Its like it was set up.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/10ThingsYouShouldKnowAboutGasPrices.aspx?page=1

Would you please share your thoughts on this with me and hopefully help me feel a lil better next time at the pump cause Im enraged.

My friends and Fam all say it IS profit, I say profit as well, but I have a small group of friends to kick it with, so I was wondering the Internets Collective take on this "issue"

2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Three?

3. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

I don't know, those were all very valid points. I really wish I'd stop getting the "boycott so-and-so gas stations for the day" emails though, cuz those are downright retarded.

4. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Guess I went kinda overboard on that lol.

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT. I never understood the logic there. Buying your gas on the day before or after that day, you're still buying the same amount of gas, and they make the same profits.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Five points:

1) Buy an economic car the uses as little fuel as possible.

2) Catch a bus.

3) Ride a bike.

4) Walk.

5) Take a look at "gas" prices in the UK or pretty much any other country in the world. You'll find that you're basically getting it for free.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My only criticism of that article would be that there's no mention of the amount of gasoline prices that is due to taxes. I don't have the figures in front of me, but I remember overhearing that government makes more money per gallon on gasoline than the oil companies do, because of the various taxes. And, of course, the government doesn't have to expend any money to produce that gasoline (R&D, drilling, refining, transport costs, etc).

It's a little hard to give a critique, discussion and explanation without knowing exactly what you disagree with on each of the points and what your reasons are for disagreeing; the only concrete reason you provide is that they used a word too many times...a word which was correct to use based on the context. It's also a little hard to discuss 'belief'. What about each of the points do you disagree with?

Two points here: First, nothing against your friends and family, but they aren't experts on this issue any more than most of us in this forum; that's just an opinion. Second, talking about profit is meaningless. What's important is the profit margin the oil companies make.

8. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

If you really hate gas prices and want to know who really reaps the biggest benefits, look no further then your beloved government, who makes 100% profit from it. They tax the shit off of it (at both state and federal levels), and yet take no part in the expense of producing it.

Their profit margin is far greater than the oil companies'.

9. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Well, I'll just add this. The oil companies keep saying they weren't making money in the past x number of years (breaking even, paraphrased from article), yet, now they can turn a $43 billion profit. There is something that is not balancing with what we're being told. Don't know what, but something is off. Oh, and that's just one oil co.'s profit.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could you point out where in the article that is or what you paraphrased it from? I didn't notice anything close to that when I read it. I did see...

..but that's profit margins again.

And, again (yes, I'm continuing to pummel this deceased equine), what was their profit margin?

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

The only thing you really need to know about gas today and in the future :lolol 

[​IMG]

12. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well as someone who owns and runs a Gas Station I can tell you # 8 is 100% true.

13. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

14. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Yeah I know about Europes "liter" prices and it is alot more over there. what is it like 2.33 liters to 1 gallon or somethin....so ya, uhhh....Dont you guys get free healthcare or somethin over there in europe?

My only debate is, Refinery's haven't been in flux do the the "mid-east crisis" I would say, hurricane katrina...isn't that over with by now?

My only point is....The inflation rates of a pricer of gasoline is not on par with the way it SHOULD be rising, that is, 10 cents....or 20 cents after 1 year....kees going up and up year after year, STEADILY increasing... Not a HUGE jump like 86 cents more than it was 2 months ago is what Im saying. Im saying the price of a gallon rose TOO fast..

There like toying with us, seeing how high they can pump the gallon before......I dunno the public snaps? Traffic on the road has increased 1.2 percent since last year....They say we are "hooked on oil" My answer is, What in 1 YEAR were....ADDICTED??? NO fricken way.

MSN I believe was payed to release that article in light of the craze now, and It doesnt really even explain hardly ANYTHING in that article that makes 1 bit of sense besides the point that gas stations barely make a profit out of all this. IT is ridiculous...the billions we spend on NASA, could be better well spent, The WAR crisis, Ya this could go on forever but I think were being screwed by our own govenment.

15. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

A) Gas prices are affected by speculation. Retarded, but true.
    B) Gov't is taxing the crap out of gas. The little tax thing you see at the pump is a fraction. They basically tax every single part of the process. It sucks but it's true.
    C) Oil companies are fine with this because they neither care what you think of them nor mind the huge profit they're getting.

*edit* MSN is one of the most liberal news sources out there. They have an anti-war activist as a war correspondent/commentator for crying out loud. So no, it was not paid to release it.

16. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

There's only one why. Greed. The oil companies know everyone needs it so they can do pretty much whatever they please since all the big government folks worldwide have their hands in the oil cookie jar.

17. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I'm sure you all know better than the people who actually do this for a living.

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    political discussion isn't allowed on the boards, so hard as it might be, you'll need to steer clear of that aspect of the topic or else this will be closed. hell, maybe it ought to be anyways...

19. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

To be fair to the gov't (which I do so hate to do), most of these taxes were in place before the gas started to spike up 2-3 years ago. Of course, as the prices go higher, the tax revenue increases, so they have little reason to stop it.

There are a lot of problems, including increasing consumption, not just in the US but in other parts of the world, without any attempt to expand supply by tapping new wells or building new refineries. Hell, a few extra nuke plants in the US would ease the drain on fossil fuels too.

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Number 8 always irritated me....but now it makes sense....oh well.